Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

AffinityMask=15 on a 2500....

With FSX I always used AM=14 in FSX.CFG.

Yesterday after installing LMP3Dv2.2, I set no value initially and experienced some stuttering ( not only on the first flights ).

Later I decided to set my only tweak in the Prepar3d.cfg file, adding

[jobscheduler]

Affinitymask=14

and the ride was a lot smoother, but I still noticed a few fluctuations in fps under various heavy weather situations, so, I set it at 15, and... placebo or not ( I think NOT ) the fact is that I feel it a lot smoother now?

What are users with 8 cores using?

Edited by n4gix
Corrected [jobscheduller] typo

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

... placebo or not ( I think NOT )

Absolutely NOT... forcing all four cores makes a vast difference to terrain loading and smoothness for me too. Same CPU as yours.

If you saw changes with 14 that is a placebo.

Maybe LM will rethink the theory that allocating one core of 4 to Windows is good. One core of eight may be beneficial.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi jcomm,

With FSX I always used AM=14 in FSX.CFG.

Yesterday after installing LMP3Dv2.2, I set no value initially and experienced some stuttering ( not only on the first flights ).

Later I decided to set my only tweak in the Prepar3d.cfg file, adding

[jobscheduller]

Affinitymask=14

and the ride was a lot smoother, but I still noticed a few fluctuations in fps under various heavy weather situations, so, I set it at 15, and... placebo or not ( I think NOT ) the fact is that I feel it a lot smoother now?

What are users with 8 cores using?

Hi jcomm,

You might wish to remove the extra 'l' from [jobscheduller] in case some decide to cut and paste this entry into their Prepar3D.CFG and then wonder why it's not working ;)

Regards,

Mike

Just to check my own tweak; I have an i7 4770k (and my task manager shows 8 cores) and I use:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=15

Is that right?

EDIT: just had a look at task manager while in flight, and only 4 of the 8 cores shown are at work..  :huh:

Affinity Mask 15 is for using 100% of 4 Cores, if you have 8, you need some other value. I don't know which, but it isn't 15

Alexis Mefano

EDIT: just had a look at task manager while in flight, and only 4 of the 8 cores shown are at work..  :huh:

Your 4770K has 4 cores. The task manager shows 8 threads because you have Hyper-Threading on.

So if hyperthreading is on is 8 threads meaning that you need to set an AF for 4 cores or 8?

Also ht is supposed to be on for fsx but off for p3d, is that right?

Alex

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

HT shouldn't be used on neither FSX or Prepar3d as far as I know. Turn it off, it will make your CPU run cooler, more stable as well!

Alexis Mefano

I get best performance (on a 4770k) by enabling HT in the BIOS, but only including the physical cores in the affinity mask. The AM for that is 85.

So I tried with both AM=15 and AM=85 on my i74770k with hyperthreading on (8 threads). 

With AM=15 threads 1-4 in taskmanager are working.

With AM=85 threads 1, 3, 5 and 7 are working. 

In both cases 4 threads/cores seem to be working with P3DV2 and I did not notice any difference in performance.

I'd say the equivalent to AM=15 on 8 cores would be AM=255 ?

Mike, thx for the note on the typo, and n4gix, thx for having fixed it ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Is anyone else seeing that using AF=15, core 0 is constantly at 100% while the other cores are hardly at 30%? Could mean that core 0 is some sort of bottleneck?

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

Could mean that core 0 is some sort of bottleneck?

Core0 is handling everything elso that you have going on, not just P3D, your OS has to run somewhere, and guess where that is, yep core0.

That is why if you have a lot running alongside the Sim then  AF14 is probably the way to go.

LM seems to agree

I'd say the equivalent to AM=15 on 8 cores would be AM=255 ?

Indeed, if you want to use all 8 cores/threads, 255 is the correct value.

Is anyone else seeing that using AF=15, core 0 is constantly at 100% while the other cores are hardly at 30%? Could mean that core 0 is some sort of bottleneck?

Most of the workload is still handled by the main thread which can make Prepar3D bound to the first core. This is why I think it's necessary that more stuff gets threaded out.