Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Why Worse Blurries Than Fsx?

David, when using cloud shadows u should also 'tick' the receive

box for sim objects, buildings and trees. In my experience it

doesn't cost much or none (frames) and looks much, much better.

Sorry for being off-topic

Thanks I'll give it a try

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I am seeing in Nvid Insp  PCI-E 3.0X16 @ X16 1.1 Also, I don't have the registry key you suggested. BTW, i have a GTX770 4gb ... not the 780

If your motherboard is the one listed in "My PC" then it doesn't support PCI-e 3.0.  However your GTX 770 is PCI-e 3.0 capable ... but you'll need both to make that work.  However, I doubt this is cause of low-res textures (it can be, but seems unlikely) ... was just tossing it out there.  I'm not sure why yours is listed as 1.1 ... seems odd why that would be the case even at "idle" vs "load" ... but maybe that's accurate??

But one thing to note, as you reach CPU/GPU thresholds (i.e. they are going as fast as then can) the process that gets dropped first appears to be the loading of higher res textures (aka the blurries).  So blurries are usually an indication of a bottleneck somewhere ... AffinityMask setting is a good place to start here, but your i5 2500K is probably the bottleneck.

Cheers, Rob.

@Rob

Thanks for a very useful information about the registry entry and how to check which PCI-E is used.

I found this post and did the registry editing.

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2063059

I use GPU-Z to check the PCI-E and now I can see that PCI-E 3.0 is used.

The result is a bit surprising (maybe not) because I notice now a higher load on CPU and GPU

Anyway, I've to test it with more different flights at different locations.

Spirit

Rob, it seems my Asus P8Z68-V is only PCIE 2.0 or that's what it says on the info :mellow:  BTW, I think I'm done with P3D. I am over urban sprawl in Redding CA, with no cloud shadows, no aircraft shadows, water set to low, everything else set mid way and all I get are 18 frames and stutters!! What will it be like when I install all my third party addons...!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Which aircraft?

Your system is more powerful than mine and I run 30fps wherever I fly... So, either you're being very unrealistic in your settings or you have something seriously borked in your system.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Which aircraft?

Your system is more powerful than mine and I run 30fps wherever I fly... So, either you're being very unrealistic in your settings or you have something seriously borked in your system.

Hi ed, it's in the P3D Craenado baron. I ma going to do a test video and I'll post it shortly... BTW, how are you getting rid of AA jaggies and stopping ripping, as I have also been unable to get any type of Vsync to work :(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Well, the one thing that perhaps I should have tested for a little longer is running with unlimited framerates. This has definitely improved stutters and performance, the blurries too seem to have improved. However, I am still non plussed at why performance is still nowhere near as good as in FSX in urban scenarios, when so many factors are turned down. The other three main issues are the water, why the hell does it look like a dog's dinner, even set at max. I suppose this will be improved with REX or ASN, if I get that far. Then there's Vsync, which I still can't get to work and last, how nothing seems sharp, textures, aircraft, scenery, nothing. Three days now of reading and testing and more testing :( :angry: :huh:

Howard

Rob, it seems my Asus P8Z68-V is only PCIE 2.0 or that's what it says on the info :mellow: BTW, I think I'm done with P3D. I am over urban sprawl in Redding CA, with no cloud shadows, no aircraft shadows, water set to low, everything else set mid way and all I get are 18 frames and stutters!! What will it be like when I install all my third party addons...!

BTW, I think I'm done with P3D.

You'll be back ... when you've upgraded your hardware ;)  ... but if FSX is working better for you with your current hardware and you enjoy it, maybe re-visit P3D at a later date when you're ready to upgrade hardware?

I did notice you have 3 monitors with one being 2560 x 1600 ... IMHO, the hardware you have isn't up to the task of supporting the benefits of P3D new features at those resolutions (and/or 3 monitor setup).  Heck I have to be careful with my graphics settings with my system for it to be able to run just one monitor at 2560 x 1600.  Sorry, but just being honest.

Cheers, Rob.

@ X16 1.1 means you are only running with PCIe 1.1. But it could also mean it is in idle mode. When idling my card also shows PCI-E 3.0X16 @ X16 1.1, under load it is PCI-E 3.0X16 @ X16 2.0 (that is because my board only supports 2.0).

That's what it will show at idle.  If you run a benchmark program or watch it while you are running FSX, it will go to 3.1 (or should)(that's what I discovered on the Internet though).  I would not mess with this setting as the "hack" Rob talked about has to be done again after reinstalling or installing a new driver for your video card.

I like those settings in post #20 above - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/440537-why-worse-blurries-than-fsx/page-1#entry2975089.  I love the shadows settings.

I'm with Howard.  I have seen more blurries with P3D but I was able to fix most of it by changing my FPS limiter to no higher than 30.  I had it had unlimited and it was really ugly.  Changed to 30 and it was almost instantly clear.  I use MSE v2 photoscenery exclusively.   I still am not satisfied and will continue my pursuit of happiness....  I think Rob is right on with the 3 monitors vs the one monitor.  Good luck Howard!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Actually Rob, Jim, I have three monitors, but only two used for FSX, one as a main display and the other is only for instruments. The third is a networked machine run for charts and FSC. I have to say, I find it strange with so many guys with far less powerful rigs as mine and who seem to be getting better performance. C'est la vie!

Howard

Try setting it up on just one monitor and stop trying to tweak the you know what out of it. Your PC is more than capable as is p3d, start with lower settings and work your way up.

We've got very similar specs and I can run at SFO with FTX NCA at Flightbeam SFO nearly packed with AI in the Q400 from 20-30fps with nearly a full airport of AI in almost any weather. It's not perfect, but it's drop dead gorgeous and silky smooth.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I have accepted that I can't use cloud shadows, as the impact makes the sim unflyable.

Hi Howard,

I have a strong machine and while I use clouds shadows when I can, I find the visual enhancement to performance impact ratio is not very favorable at all.  IMO cloud shadowing does add something but it's not nearly as important as clear textures, smooth perf and higher frame rate.  

In a moderate demand flight I'm in at this very moment, KCIC > KACV w/ lots of clouds, dawn, FTXG, FTX NCA w/ its built in vector data I can run my RA Turbine Duke just after TO south I was seeing frames down to 33 or so w/ cloud shadowing on.   I turned them off, noticed absolutely no difference in visuals (it's dawn, lots of haze and cloud so you can't really see 'cloud shadows'.  Frames jumped to 46 from 33, ultra butter smooth.  Just not worth the hit.

In lesser situations (FTXG alone, no FTX region), a bit lighter clouds, a little later in the morning when the sun's up and cast's more defined shadows, it's nice to leave them on.  

Hope you get it solved and I'm sure you will once you ID the issue better.

We've got very similar specs and I can run at SFO with FTX NCA at Flightbeam SFO nearly packed with AI in the Q400 from 20-30fps with nearly a full airport of AI in almost any weather. It's not perfect, but it's drop dead gorgeous and silky smooth.

Hmm.  Q400 must be very frames friendly.  While I can see smooth flight at 20 fps, panning the VC is not smooth at all, and I'd be surprised if that's not true for you.  Plus, cloud shadows on in NCA at FB's SFO can nail frames WAY down to the useless level, esp at dawn/dusk w/ 3D lights blazing.  Once the GPU gets overburdened we see this precipitous drop in frames to the unusable level.  I'd love to see a realtime modulator where one could choose which detail to dial back, on the fly as it were, to retain smooth high frames.  For example to set a limit that says 'when GPU utilization exceeds 90% reduce cloud shadow distance by x, or autogen by x, etc.  This could help all users have the best experience possible.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Try setting it up on just one monitor and stop trying to tweak the you know what out of it. Your PC is more than capable as is p3d, start with lower settings and work your way up.

Hi Dave, sure, we have almost identical specs. Well as far as tweaking is concerned, I haven't, the only thing i have in the cfg is AF=15. It may be a drag and please don't bother if it is, but if you could share your slider settings and also your graphics settings I'd be extremely grateful.

Howard

panning the VC is not smooth at all, and I'd be surprised if that's not true for you.

The Majestic Q, I find isn't doesn't' exactly pan around very fast as it is, but it's quite smooth and more than adequate. I do have cloud shadows on and while it can hit the frames pretty hard, it's still very flyable and heads and shoulders above FSX.

I did a flight last night at dusk from SFO to KJAC with ASN weather. The initial climbout did have lower numbers fps (high teens- mid 20's) wise but still very smooth and enjoyable.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS