Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

26APR14 - P3D Development Status Thread - Updated

Most of you however will cave in and buy P3D academic because lets face it: for years you were moaning and crying about wanting *fsx* to be fixed up and modernized by ACES developers (ahem, P3D) and your wish was more or less granted.

I disagree, most of the peoples that follow this forum are massive EULA cowboys, and cant wait to talk about how what you are doing is illegal (Despite there being now law)

I understand the fact that data from Boeing is expensive, however Prosim (the software for fixed base simulators) is not that expensive.

However at the end of the day no one participating in this thread works for PMDG, no one participating in this thread knows how PMDG are going to approach the pricing situation, its all just assumptions based on what you think you know.

I have already quoted this several times.

However people seem to have a hard time reading, the official statement from PMDG. made last November regarding the price differential is the current FACTS from them, un till such time as its superseded, which it has not. 

At the end of the day PMDG only pay once for the data from Boeing, and they manufacture a product and sell it on to 1000's the one off payment PMDG made will be split over those sales, not to mention PMDG would charge a bucket load for the customers buying Airline custom products, as mentioned the different licencing options, PMDG would recover their costs in no time.

Kirk

For the "Doom and Gloom" posters who continue to go on and on about how the hobby is dead under LM...When you're simming on your Academic version of P3D which cost a whopping $60 (though you should have paid $199), and the guys dressed in blacked out fatigues come storming through your door carrying  M16's, radio back to their commander that they've found him. Just politely mention that you're just trying to learn a little bit about aviation. They'll remorsefully tell you that they're sorry to trouble you and they'll leave your home. I promise. ...and whatever price PMDG decides to charge the flight schools and other commercial vendors, (BREAKING NEWS!) you're not going to be paying that. Cheer up, the best of this hobby, ahhm, learning experience, is yet to come!

James McLees

I disagree, most of the peoples that follow this forum are massive EULA cowboys, and cant wait to talk about how what you are doing is illegal (Despite there being now law)

I understand the fact that data from Boeing is expensive, however Prosim (the software for fixed base simulators) is not that expensive.

However at the end of the day no one participating in this thread works for PMDG, no one participating in this thread knows how PMDG are going to approach the pricing situation, its all just assumptions based on what you think you know.

I have already quoted this several times.

However people seem to have a hard time reading, the official statement from PMDG. made last November regarding the price differential is the current FACTS from them, un till such time as its superseded, which it has not. 

At the end of the day PMDG only pay once for the data from Boeing, and they manufacture a product and sell it on to 1000's the one off payment PMDG made will be split over those sales, not to mention PMDG would charge a bucket load for the customers buying Airline custom products, as mentioned the different licencing options, PMDG would recover their costs in no time.

Kirk

I bought the academic as I was lucky enough to be a student at the right time. Disagree if you will but the TRUTH is that there exists  people that will happen to buy it for entertainment. It is a breach but if LM really cared they would make you verify your status just like I had to provide proof Im a university student before I got my discounted bus pass. HOWEVER LM could choose to enforce this at any time although its less likely than microsoft starting making flight sim again. Lets be honest, the EULA cowboys will buy P3D too regardless of them being professionals/students

As for licensing the data it is true PMDG may pay once BUT like I said before in a COMMERCIAL SIMULATOR like P3D, Boeing will ask PMDG to cough up more, which will PMDG will have to pass onto us, just  business. You paid $90 for the 777 fsx? Get ready to pay more for P3D ; sorry thats how it is

I dunno, was just a posit

IF they really wanted to verify, trust me they would but at this time, they just dont care enough to enforce it. They have the power and resources but dont seem to care except on their product page where they are expressly required to tell you its not for casual simming. What I found found interesting was in the P3DV2 release interview where the guy said "we are looking at expanding Prepar3d to a wide range of customers while remembering the pre-existing community" on airdailyx way back. In other words, LM are saying they are keeping us old fsx guys in mind (wink wink) with development suggestions which they have proven consistently if you read the P3D dev forums

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

...except in this case, the lies (or just perpetuation of other people's lies/misunderstandings) put people at legal risk

NO, sir.

How on earth would LM even investigate such an affair and, more importantly, why would they even bother?

And even if the matter did arise with a purchaser, it is a CIVIL matter (a tort) not criminal.

the guys dressed in blacked out fatigues come storming through your door carrying M16's, radio back to their commander that they've found him. Just politely mention that you're just trying to learn a little bit about aviation.

Civil matter, not criminal.  I know you're exaggerating but lets keep the "legal risk" in perspective.

spacer.png

NO, sir.

How on earth would LM even investigate such an affair and, more importantly, why would they even bother?

And even if the matter did arise with a purchaser, it is a CIVIL matter (a tort) not criminal.

Civil matter, not criminal.  I know you're exaggerating but lets keep the "legal risk" in perspective

Dont waste time I told them EXACTLY what was going to happen yet they argue

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Civil matter, not criminal.  I know you're exaggerating but lets keep the "legal risk" in perspective.

Beyond exaggeration, absurd, there is no legal risk! Unless one makes it one. Armchair lawyers are as welcome as a decked out Dallas fan at FED EX Field in my book. :Whistle:

James McLees

EULA arguments are generally frowned upon by both AVSim and LM; however the "Professional License - $199", does explicitly state Simulation, i believe that would cover pretty much every user on AVSim.

Ian R Tyldesley

EULA arguments are generally frowned upon by both AVSim and LM; however the "Professional License - $199", does explicitly state Simulation, i believe that would cover pretty much every user on AVSim.

EXACTLY!...now what's for lunch. :Secret:

James McLees

HEY, HEY, HEY - There will be no talk about black helicopters or guys with automatic weapons rappelling onto rooftops, coz' that's gonna have all the conspiracy fanatics rising to the surface... j/k, guys... 

53016625.jpg

I like how we've gone from everyone sitting here swearing up and down that it's within the scope of the license, to now...

...where people are nearly admitting that it's wrong, but at the same time just banking on not getting caught.

Brilliant, guys...brilliant.

That's how the guys in my dorm also acted when it came to illegally downloading music.  Tech got a letter from the RIAA basically saying "these IP addresses have been illegally downloading a ton of stuff - they're yours, so we want money."  Of course, Tech didn't say "okay, we'll foot that bill."  Nope.  They said "here's their information - name, address - everything!"  The second article estimated that one lawsuit cost one student about $3000.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/opinion/article_33dbed9c-16d0-58eb-8ba0-c0dd1daca0d0.html

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/article_bce1a367-b5c7-594b-ab74-563e6792f05e.html

Sure, this isn't illegal music downloading, and this isn't the RIAA, but it's wrong.  Plain and simple.  Can't wait for the day someone gets nailed.  I'll be at the back saying "I told ya so."

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, no one is illegally downloading any thing.

The example you have given relates to Piracy and steeling.

No one here has pirated or stolen any thing from PMDG

At the end of the day the EULA is only there to protect PMDG from LM, and LM from MS.

No one here is asking you to do any thing you don't want to, people that have chosen to use P3D as their next sim have done so at their own choice.

As you are not a P3D user, I cannot understand why you continue to come to this thread and give your unwanted 2 cents worth, you are just increasing the population of people that hate you....

Kirk

I have P3D Pro.  $200.  I paid for a product, that, according to the EULA, is appropriate for simulation.  I don't need to be a pilot or a student of aviation to own this software and to utilize it.  I'm not about to jump back into a 182 after or a Traumahawk after 20+ years of not keeping current on my ratings and saying "I'm up to date because I have P3D..."  That's what LM is concerned about, I believe. And that's about the only way someone is going to get "nailed", as it were.

Just A thought..... I'm DTC marketing FSX through Steam., I'm saying Prove it! Or cease and desist because you are direct competition.?

As you are not a P3D user, I cannot understand why you continue to come to this thread and give your unwanted 2 cents worth, you are just increasing the population of people that hate you....

I could very easily be a P3D user as I have a valid use for it if I actually wanted it (real world pilot, which is clearly shown as a valid use on the site).  Sorry for being the dude at the street-side, unsanctioned drag race telling people that they should probably knock it off lest they find themselves in trouble...

Based on people's responses here, they clearly see what I'm getting at.  They just don't want to give up their hopes and dreams that this is the "next simulator for them."

Hint: it isn't, unless you clearly fit into one of the license categories.

Here's a litmus test, plain and simple:

Did you use ESP before?  No?  Oh...golly...why not?  Oh, right...because it wasn't for you.  It wasn't then.  It isn't now...

Also, is it not rather clear by now that I couldn't care less about people who supposedly hate me?  If people want to hate me, I'm not going to go out of my way to try to convince them otherwise.  In most cases, people get really ticked off at me for simply speaking the truth.  They just don't want to hear it.  Not my problem.  Not my issue.  I'm not going to handle people's issues with projection.

Kyle Rodgers

In most cases, people get really ticked off at me for simply speaking the truth.  They just don't want to hear it.  Not my problem.  Not my issue.

+1

Could not agree with you more .....

Willem