Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deathcode

3+1 Monitor Setup in P3D 2.2

What I do is, in windowed mode, click on the Views menu, select Instruments and then the instrument that I want to display. Right click on the instrument window, select undock. Repeat for all the instruments I want on my instruments monitor. Once done, press Alt+Enter for windowless mode and surround kicks in. Now drag the undocked panels to the instruments monitor.

In FSX the surround mode causes instruments to be stretched to 3x their defined width, so the solution is to edit the panel.cfg file for the aircraft and divide the width value specified in the window size by 3. For example, if the entry for the instrument window that you want to resize is like so:

window_size = 1.00000, 0.46250

you would change this to:

window_size = 0.33333, 0.46250

I have not tried the panel.cfg edit in P3D, only in FSX.

Darren Morris

Denali, have you solved the issue that prevented using the full width? I would be interested also to reduce the distorsion...

Yes, I have.  I'll try to get something about it up here this weekend.  I just wish I had time to wrap my head around the acual math involved in these perspectives, because there is a little distortion that isn't easy to fix without the right function/equation.

Disclaimer:  9900k@5.3ghz on Asus Maximus X Formula, G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB 4266/17 XMP, EVGA 2080 ti Kingpin (8400/2160Mhz), Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD , 28TB HDD total - 4TB+ photoscenery, Romex Software PrimoCache RAM and SSD cache (must have!), 3x1080p 30" monitors, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, Pimax 4k & BE HMDs, Samsung Gear VR '17, Homdio v1, Cardboard, custom loop 2x 360x64ML Rads, Thermaltake View 71, VRM watercool, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut CPU (naked die), Fujipoly / ModRight Ultra Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad on MB VRM. 8x Corsair ML120 (slight positive pressure). 🙂

Yes, I have.  I'll try to get something about it up here this weekend.  I just wish I had time to wrap my head around the acual math involved in these perspectives, because there is a little distortion that isn't easy to fix without the right function/equation.

Great, this could be revolutionary.

gb.

In FSX the surround mode causes instruments to be stretched to 3x their defined width, so the solution is to edit the panel.cfg file for the aircraft and divide the width value specified in the window size by 3. For example, if the entry for the instrument window that you want to resize is like so:

window_size = 1.00000, 0.46250

you would change this to:

window_size = 0.33333, 0.46250

I have not tried the panel.cfg edit in P3D, only in FSX.

A lot of planes use this format instead:

[Window01]

size_mm=456,378

window_size=0.5

What do you do in this case?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, GTX980Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

my assumption would be that window_size=0.5 is equivalent to window_size=0.5,0.5 therefore in this instance you would amend this to window_size=0.16667,0.5

Darren Morris

Just a quick update.  I have the math figured out, for the x-axis anyways.  An object seen in the center of the view is exactly the same width when seen in any other position. ... !  The y-axis is dependent on the x-axis, and I have just a little more thinking through for this.  Processing ... processing ... processing ..

Disclaimer:  9900k@5.3ghz on Asus Maximus X Formula, G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB 4266/17 XMP, EVGA 2080 ti Kingpin (8400/2160Mhz), Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD , 28TB HDD total - 4TB+ photoscenery, Romex Software PrimoCache RAM and SSD cache (must have!), 3x1080p 30" monitors, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, Pimax 4k & BE HMDs, Samsung Gear VR '17, Homdio v1, Cardboard, custom loop 2x 360x64ML Rads, Thermaltake View 71, VRM watercool, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut CPU (naked die), Fujipoly / ModRight Ultra Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad on MB VRM. 8x Corsair ML120 (slight positive pressure). 🙂

Just a quick update.  I have the math figured out, for the x-axis anyways.  An object seen in the center of the view is exactly the same width when seen in any other position. ... !  The y-axis is dependent on the x-axis, and I have just a little more thinking through for this.  Processing ... processing ... processing ..

Quiet everybody, genius at work.  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, GTX980Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

So, I have the rest of the math figured out.  Hopefully today I'll get to porting the psuedocode/math into a shader.  Got lots of things going on, but this has become high priority for me.  If I have enough time I'd like to wrap it up in a little configuration/installer package.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now