Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HiFlyer

Summertime! FirePit Grill. Would you Buy?

Thinking about summer. The smell of charcoal and burning hamburgers and franks......

Saw this interesting grill. Its Ginormous, but intriguing. What do you guys think? Worth a try?

http://www.jaggrill.com/MAIN-FEATURES

main_grill_bbq_firepit_zps2bd1a0fa.jpg

main_heavy_duty_grill_firepit_zps79b3364

main_firepit2_zps93c9ec0f.jpg

Looks pretty impressive...all that's missing are the brewskies!  The $2500 introductory price seems a bit stiff, but I'm sure you'd be the talk of the neighborhood if you bought it.

I'm more worried about cleanup and the fact that the thing is 400 pounds!  :blink:

I'd worry about hot grease splatters, landing on my guests, not to mention, it looks like it would be awkward to cook on.

I'd worry about hot grease splatters, landing on my guests, not to mention, it looks like it would be awkward to cook on.

The wooden parts are individually detachable, but there just might be a splatter issue....

Best would probably be to cook, then attach the table part.

I don't know, I guess I just like cool gadgets.

Would be a pain if there was the slightest wind . . .

I'm sure you'd be the talk of the neighborhood if you bought it.

Especially after the deck caught fire, that then burned your house down, and the embers from it destroyed the homes of your two closest neighbors. Gotta love it! :Applause: 

Especially after the deck caught fire, that then burned your house down, and the embers from it destroyed the homes of your two closest neighbors. Gotta love it! :Applause:

Tsk! I'm thinking you maybe didn't watch the video about the spark dome. Still, I'm backing away because the things just too darn huge!!

Tsk! I'm thinking you maybe didn't watch the video about the spark dome. Still, I'm backing away because the things just too darn huge!!

Who has time to watch videos? I have just enough time to jump to conclusions. :Big Grin:

There is a certain Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor feel to this thing.  The Binford 9000 FIrepit and table.   <Insert manly grunts> :-)

Scott

You'd probably need a   lot of wood or charcoal all around to get it hot enough too.  Then people on one side would get smoked out if it's windy.

Sorry totally OT, but I wish people would not use chimineas.  My wife has a bit of asthma and it gives her problems besides stinking up our house.

Then people on one side would get smoked out if it's windy.

If you're doing barbecue, then somebody is getting smoke in their face.  ^_^

In Britain it'd be a good Bonfire Night get together (if it isn't raining), as it's usually pretty chilly in November.  It might even light up the neighbourhood :lol: .  Too hot in summer though.

I'm really thinking this might work better as a propane grill with individual burner control for each spot. The amount of charcoal/wood required seems a little prohibitive once you take a moment to stop and think about it.

Looks very very cool though.

Awkward for anyone to use!

I agree, its a great idea, but it looks too big and awkward.  Might better suited for one of those grill your own steak restaurants.  We just bought a propane fire pit for our patio...it works great and it doesn't smell up the house.     

If I want to entertain folks by allowing them to 'cook their own food' I'll choose a fondue pot any day over such a monstrosity as that grill.

From fondue bourguignonne to Swiss fondue...  Oh Lord, now I've made myself hungry! :LMAO:

If I want to entertain folks by allowing them to 'cook their own food' I'll choose a fondue pot any day over such a monstrosity as that grill.

From fondue bourguignonne to Swiss fondue...  Oh Lord, now I've made myself hungry! :LMAO:

I do fondue, but you haven't stretched your gastronomic legs until you do raclette grilling at your dinner table surrounded by good friends and wine. I was introduced to this years ago by a German friend. He and his wife invited me to join them at a small dinner at their place in Koblenz. I was thoroughly impressed.

raclette-grill1.jpg

My favorite grilling incident happened when I lived in a 50-story apartment building near Lincoln Center in Manhattan.  All the apartments had small balconies, and a neighbor down on 23 decided to ignore the building's prohibition on grilling.  No damage, and I thought the smell was quite nice, but there was another resident who didn't agree.  The FDNY high-rise response is very large and involves a lot of vehicles and firefighters.  And the building-wide evacuation gave us all an opportunity to meet each other.  A good time was had by everyone.  Well, nearly everyone...

With your chair in the position shown in the first pic, I think barbecued gonads would be on the menu.

I am the "grill master" in my house over the summer and I can tell you that NO one else should have to sit next to a hot grill :Shame On You:   Between the heat and smoke that is a great idea that would be ruined by practical application  :Whew:

Paul, I have to agree on that assessment! Such a grill as illustrated in this thread would probably be bearable and perhaps even comfortable in the late Fall months when it is relatively cool...

I do fondue, but you haven't stretched your gastronomic legs until you do raclette grilling at your dinner table surrounded by good friends and wine. I was introduced to this years ago by a German friend. He and his wife invited me to join them at a small dinner at their place in Koblenz. I was thoroughly impressed.

Weird. Never heard of our seen anything like that before. Looked up some vids on YouTube and from the types of foods used, it definitely looks like a European thing. I barely survived my introduction to English teas, scones, clotted cream and cucumber sandwiches!

We wont even discuss spotted dick!   :blink:

We wont even discuss spotted dick!   :blink:

How about some nice, tender Rocky Mountain Oysters?

Also known as prairie oysters, Montana tendergroins, cowboy caviar, swinging beef, and calf fries... :LMAO: 

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/RockyMtnOyster.htm

With regards to "Spotted Dick," curiously enough and for the record, the word "dick" is derived from the German words "dicht" or "dick", which means "thick". It is highly probable that the ubiquitous Xmas fruit cake was derived from Spotted Dick or, possibly, a Germanic fruit cake antecedent. It is only the immature and prurient viewer/listener who titters at such, as I'm sure you just did at the word "titter". ;)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spotted-Dick-103210