Sign in to follow this  
steveteva

FTX Global cartoonish looking?

I'm new to SIM so I was looking for an upgrade scenery and waht most members recommend was FTX global or GEX, but looks like FTX was more popular. 

So I've visit ORBX forum and checked screenshot from members topic, I was then surprise to see high detailed pictures but wasn't realistic looking it was like cartoonish looking or someone that take a real picture then apply a paint filter to it in Photoshop. Is it just me or it's because I'm used to real scenery when flying?

I also found someone in the forum talking about rendered scenery like GEX and FTX global vs photo real scenery like megascenery earth and fsgenesis and that might be the reason it's not real looking scenery.

The cons with photo real were FPS and nice only in high altitude, is that right?

Can you FSX expert open my eyes and guide me on what to buy? I need  something realistic when I fly with an aircraft and look outside.

I'm still confuse and want to buy rather FTX global for around $99 or Fsgenesis for peanuts or Megascenery Earth 2.0 complete state California for $99 but will need to spend for everytime I need a state or region or maybe ultimate terrain X?

Thank you.

Sorry for this newbie question.

What can I tell you except that I can't imagine FSX world without FTX Global. Amazing photorealistic textures, that's for sure. I can't wait the moment to see OpenLC Europe purchase button and to enjoy Europe in a complete and full glory with FTXG Vector. I saw numerous screens with GEX and it's simple is not nearly as good in Europe as FTX Global. GEX is good mostly for USA, but I didn't compare the two, so I'm not competitive to comment.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

It all depends what you're looking for and where you want to fly. ORBX global will provide you with world wide coverage and looks much better than the default scenery, but it's just a generic representation of what it really looks like, and if you're used to photo scenery, it's quite different and takes a little getting used to.

However, given the choice between a photo-real scenery and full FTX regions, I personally prefer the FTX regions, simply because some photo sceneries tend to be flat and lifeless and some are stuck in an eternal summer or have serious colour problems or banding. From high up, above about 3000-4000ft, photo sceneries look good, but go lower than that, and the effect is really ruined.

Orbx offers a demo of their PNW Region, why not check it out and see if you like the Orbx scenery treatment before jumping in head first? They also have an excellent guide that shows how the different layers of scenery work in FSX/P3D, and what the different Orbx products actually affect.

The textures in the PNW in the demo area are very similar, if not just like, the textures in FTX Global.

Remember that the demo region is all four types of scenery layers with custom buildings - Mesh, Landclass (where textures go), Textures, and Vector Scenery (road, rail, rivers, coasts).

FTX Global is textures only.

FTX Global Vector is Vector Scenery only.

FTX OpenLC is landclass only.

Ultimate Terrain X is Landclass and Vector, with some custom textures.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

May be better to check their Iceland demo: It's based on FTX-G textures.

Good point, had forgotten about that one!

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

May be better to check their Iceland demo: It's based on FTX-G textures.

Downloaded and installed then test but not convinced.

If you are a low and slow GA pilot, then FTX Global is the only way to go!  I love it.

Good morning folks,

I'm a ORBX FTX skeptical as you can read my older post but I'm sold !  :Cry:

It's a long-short story but here's what's in brief.

I met a simmer and he had FTX global so I look at his FSX with FTX Global installed and I was stunt, it shakes me  :Shocked:  I was so stupid thinking that it was cartoonish (screenshots are) because flying live was really a entire enhance for FSX almost looking like P3D (something new) compare to what I used to fly with my FSX default.

I don't want to talk about ORBX region because it's the cherry on top of the cake and non FTXG can buy too.

So talking about FTX, I was flying Hawaii and you could see houses, buildings, channel... really detailed scenery from close to far flights. Then I tried the KSFO (with San Francisco US cityX from Aerosoft) and WOW, all the details that my friend's got on his scenery were sharp, it's almost like I could find a house of someone if he gives his address in San Francisco. I was sitting and I couldn't leave his house because I did not have this at home, then it was time for me to go home with one thing in mind: Buy FTX global as soon as I step in the door.

It's not cheap but it's worth it! Also I will see if I need to buy the vector later.

Now I understand why people are so optimistic about FTX Global and I'm no more a naysayer.

For photoscenery, I'm also still convince of it's benefit so I'm using both depending on what sim style I'm looking and what aircraft. For example if you fly a jet, an airliner or a F14... photoscenery can't beat but when it comes to GA, turbo props, glides... then there is no question ask: FTX Global.

Hope that this post will help simmers who were skeptical like me to make the next step in order to have joy and fun with FSX.  :biggrin: