Sign in to follow this  
domc712

Performance over London in FSX

As we all know, London is a performance intensive location in FSX, even with a high-end system.

I'm wondering if anyone with a high-end system has managed to run it smoothly and stable at max settings with addons and AI.

I'm running a i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 780 

FSX is in DX10 preview mode with Steve's DX10 fix,

Max display settings @ 1920x1200, (except: water settings set to Low 2.x, Ground Scenery shadows off),

HIGHMEMFIX=1 tweak applied

ORBX FTX England

UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme set to High detail

VFR London Scenery (No photoscenery, just buildings) <this doesn't eat up that many frames, my system handles it well

Ultimate Traffic 2 set to 70%

I mostly fly the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended A320

I get 20-50 frames without running UT2 AI traffic and it goes down to 8-25 frames with AI traffic in the region.

Without getting too obsessed with the frame counter, FSX runs smoothly (15-30 frames) whilst descending into London, passing over the suburbs and into the city, but on final approach, it would drop to 8-15 frames.

Whilst I'm okay with landing at 10 frames in this FSX setup, I was wondering if I could get more out of my system. Okay, I can reduce the level of AI which would certainly improve performance, but I'm not that keen on making Heathrow look empty.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nope. Until we get a 9GHz cpu, have to cut back on bells and whistles for frame rate.

I personally find the AI (well, VATSIM traffic) to be the biggest culprit when arriving at Heathrow. With vPilot I can reduce the range of aircraft that are displayed, and this improves the performance a bit. I think if you are using an AI package you can try reducing the amount of AI, but not to the extent that LHR looks like a ghost airport :lol: