Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Stutter - Adaptive VSync could offer a solution

Come on guys - P3D is currently a moving target (a good thing) as LM makes changes. It is very well possible that VS worked a while back and that some changes made caused it to not work. There are WAY too many variables that are rapidly changing. No point in getting on someone's case for an opinion.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The problem as I understand it is that P3D doesn't offer an exclusive full-screen mode like FSX, so Vsync mostly depends on whether Aero is enabled (effectively a DirectX-rendered Windows desktop.) If Aero is not enabled there may be ways to force vsync in - in FSX we had the ForceWindowedVsync tweak which could turn vsync on regardless of your desktop settings, but it would halve the framerate if it couldn't render at your refresh rate or capped framerate.

The problem as I understand it is that P3D doesn't offer an exclusive full-screen mode like FSX, so Vsync mostly depends on whether Aero is enabled (effectively a DirectX-rendered Windows desktop.) If Aero is not enabled there may be ways to force vsync in - in FSX we had the ForceWindowedVsync tweak which could turn vsync on regardless of your desktop settings, but it would halve the framerate if it couldn't render at your refresh rate or capped framerate.

It does not cut my FPS in half in FSX using the forcexxxline in cfg.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

It does not cut my FPS in half in FSX using the forcexxxline in cfg.

Michael

It only does that if you are running without Aero (or equivalent option in 8.1), and only if your PC can't keep up at the refresh or capped FPS.. there are a couple of older threads on Avsim all about this back before P3D came out.

I have very smooth flight with the 1/2 refresh lock in the nvidia driver control panel while flying in FSX.

Does LM plan to implement a full screen option (maybe version 2.4) which should allow the 1/2 refresh lock to work?

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Does LM plan to implement a full screen option (maybe version 2.4) which should allow the 1/2 refresh lock to work?

No, they don't.  True full-screen was removed deliberately for better multimonitor support.  They don't seem overly concerned that this also effectively cripples antialiasing and the 1/2 refresh options.

They unfortunately threw out the baby with the bathwater.

No, they don't.  True full-screen was removed deliberately for better multimonitor support.  They don't seem overly concerned that this also effectively cripples antialiasing and the 1/2 refresh options.

They unfortunately threw out the baby with the bathwater.

Concise and perfect.

Therefore, we have to live with some microstutter forever.

Therefore, we have to live with some microstutter forever.

Maybe G-Sync can help here?

Spirit

You need not to repeat this endless because I already said that I was wrong and I know now better. Is this fine for you?

You also can read that I talked at this time about a little improvement and obviously it wasn't really an improvement because my rig and P3D v2 was already running smooth.

Look at my findings now and you should eventually accept what's real.

Spirit

Hi Spirit,

At the risk of incurring your wrath as your patience with me diminishes with every passing moment, might it not be that we were, in actual fact, both correct and our original observations applied to P3D v2.2? My first post in this thread was my experience with Adaptive VSync in v2.2 and not v2.3.

Currently I am running v2.3 and mostly it appears to be running quite smoothly on my now outdated and relatively modest rig. After the installation, I forgot that I had left the Adaptive VSync switch in place in the NCP so assumed that it was still contributing to this smooth performance in v2.3 whereas, from what you have been saying, it appears the contrary is now true, VSync is no longer functional and such performance improvements are instead due to LM's further optimisations.

Unfortunately, right now I'm at a disadvantage in that several thousand miles separates me from my laptop so am unable to test.

As I stated early in this thread I was witnessing good results with Adaptive VSync in v2.2 and this was despite my frame rates rarely exceeding 60fps. On the face of it this doesn't make much sense yet the observed reduction in stutters suggested something else was in play other than simply unfettered frame rate performance. Still, I wasn't complaining and, indeed, this was the main driving force behind my original post as I felt others might also benefit.

Regards,

Mike

Well if and I if LM think micro stutters are the norm....and except able

I for one will not support it any further....my opinion...please note! How ever good it looks

Flight sims should be going forwards and improving...this is not an improvement..it is great that multi monitors are being supported but why should it be compromised...

Anyway we do not know what LM has in store so it is a wait and see game re 2.4

All the best

Do you even own P3D or are you just speculating?

I don't doubt some are struggling with long frames, but you sure can't make sweeping generalizations about how the sim performs for everyone. Smooth as silk on my rig (except maybe when when I'm moving between Orbx regions and new textures are loaded in...)

Moreover, our problem is not to synchronize between 60 and 120, but between 30 and 60.

Sure, that it can't be lower too?

http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

http://techreport.com/review/26870/asus-rog-swift-pg278q-g-sync-monitor-reviewed

Spirit

At the risk of incurring your wrath as your patience with me diminishes with every passing moment, might it not be that we were, in actual fact, both correct and our original observations applied to P3D v2.2? My first post in this thread was my experience with Adaptive VSync in v2.2 and not v2.3.

Hi Mike,

don't worry that's ok. I'm still testing and researching about vSync to get more information about it, especially from different points of view. Fact is, that I don't have problems with my FS and it's running pretty nice and smooth but I'm curious to understand vSync together with P3D v2.3.

Thanks

Spirit

Hi Spirit,

do a Google search with the words "G-sync + windowed mode".

Just did the search but from the information I found I don't think that this restriction will be forever.

There are some additional limitations as well, GSYNC can be used with an SLI system but G-SYNC can’t operate in Windowed Mode (for now), currently it doesn't support NVIDIA’s Surround multi monitor technology either.

Got this from this article http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_g_sync_review_guide,2.html

The most reviews are from last year or early this year so I would like to get some actual reviews. Maybe you got some?

Well, maybe we've to wait for VESA?

http://www.vesa.org/news/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-popular-displayport-video-standard/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/742731/g-sync-obsolete-new-vesa-adaptive-sync/

Spirit

PS: Look at this thread at LM. There's a guy using G-Sync with satisfaction.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=8471