Sign in to follow this  
pemigris

GTN 750/650 for P3D arrived

transair.co.uk  for anyone in uk looking for gtn trainer full version. £20.

Doesn't look like they have it anymore.  Is this it?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod95993.html

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Gregg, that's what I bought. It only supplies terrain for outside the US.

You can take the data out of it and import it into the Flight1 GTN yes?  So you have the whole world?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yes. Although the world-wide terrain database is all you can use from the DVD...

But, it's well worth the $38 USD (price + shipping and handling).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I purchased and installed the entire world DVD ... install was a little mixed up per GTN 750 instructions, but it got there in the end.

Just a warning, if you turn on the Terrain (and it looks fantastic) it did OOM my system pretty quick ... removed the GTN 750 (was using in the Milviz 530 and A2A C182) and same flight, no OOM.  Didn't have this problem with just the US only database, only when I installed the entire world ... so it seems once again the World is just too big to fit into 32bit address space (no surprise there).

Cheers, Rob.

One quick question from a European citizen: Which European data is actually included in the stock GTN 750 from Flight1? Waypoints and approaches? Is only the terrain data missing? Or is no European data included at all?

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I purchased and installed the entire world DVD ... install was a little mixed up per GTN 750 instructions, but it got there in the end.

Just a warning, if you turn on the Terrain (and it looks fantastic) it did OOM my system pretty quick ... removed the GTN 750 (was using in the Milviz 530 and A2A C182) and same flight, no OOM.  Didn't have this problem with just the US only database, only when I installed the entire world ... so it seems once again the World is just too big to fit into 32bit address space (no surprise there).

Cheers, Rob.

The instructions as to how to install the terrain database for the whole world can be found here:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/how-to-buy-the-gtn-750-world-wide-database_topic50436.html

As to OOMs, I have only gotten one OOM message before in P3d2 and that was with the infamous version (was it 2.2, I can't remember anymore?) that used to sink just about everybody running complex add-ons.

With the worldwide terrain DAT file loaded, I don't get an OOM in P3d immediately, like Rob is reporting, but I do get one generally after about 30 minutes of flying. What happens first is that the GTN VC map screen stops refreshing and then about a minute later I get the OOM message. I wasn't sure initially that this crash was due to the GTN 750 and/or the worldwide terrain database, but I guess that Rob's experience confirms that.

Greg , that's the right product. I did online order based on 3 day shipment, got

about a day to go. Keep you posted.

As for OOM with full Map, Thank you very much for this info, that is quite disappointing.

That said I am finding, there is increase for well done default  a/c that allow you to

use for vas for scenery etc. This is why I ported FSX default a/c to my new P3D install.

Quite frankly the sim has hit the roof. Start dusting off those default a/c in your hanger, maybe the only thing you can fly with latest scenery add-ons soon. 

Was stunning to fly default mooney with sliders way up.

Would prefer a VAS fix though.

Would prefer a VAS fix though

FYI, the FSX default aircraft I moved over to P3D introduced lots of issues, especially VAS issues.  So using FSX default aircraft in P3D isn't something I would recommend.

VAS can be managed and I'm sure LM will continue tweaking to improve the VAS usage, but there is a very real limit and endless tweaking of VAS will produce fewer and fewer gains and return on development time invested ... a 64bit P3D will be the solution for OOM issues with the myriad of 3rd party products.

64bit will be the only environment where we can run multiple complex add-on all together.  As it stands now 3rd party approach is a natural one, keep using up the VAS and require other settings be reduce and/or other 3rd party products be disabled.  This obviously isn't sustainable for the future of Flight Sims.  

I'm not blaming 3rd party ... they naturally want to increase complexity in order to have the competitive edge.  They battle for that precious VAS space.  But it's my hope 3rd party and end users understand exactly the point you bring up ... fly with only the default mooney so we can load 3rd party products is NOT a good situation.  Asking end users to continually manage VAS is not a good situation, let FPS be the limit not VAS ... as I've said before, I can upgrade hardware to solve FPS issues, but there is nothing I can do to solve VAS issues other than stop buying 3rd party products.

Both sides of the equation will need to work on a viable solution ... as I understand it, that will happen.

Cheers, Rob.

, I can upgrade hardware to solve FPS issues,

But, are you the exception or the rule? Not all of us  and I believe a very small part of us can afford the luxury of $2000.00 dollars worth of GPU's alone! Unless of course we are professional flight sim instructors or the like.

But, are you the exception or the rule?

There's a rule?  A $500 980GTX is probably the preferred choice, not what I have.  

I don't have any data indicating what the average flight simmer spends on hardware and/or software.  It's not really relevant ... either way, a product should never base it's future on what the "average" end user wants to spend now - that would be very short sighted and limiting.  FSX, P3D, XP10 have never built products for the here and now ... if they did, LOD Radius would probably be capped at 2.5 and max textures at 512 and an host of other limits imposed ... fortunately they don't.

As hardware evolves what is expensive today becomes cheap tomorrow and those not wanting to spend the money simply wait a year or so for the hardware costs to match what they want to spend.  This is the pattern that repeats going back to 1980's ... always build a product that can adapt with hardware changes in the future.

Cheers, Rob.

With the worldwide terrain DAT file loaded, I don't get an OOM in P3d immediately, like Rob is reporting, but I do get one generally after about 30 minutes of flying. What happens first is that the GTN VC map screen stops refreshing and then about a minute later I get the OOM message. I wasn't sure initially that this crash was due to the GTN 750 and/or the worldwide terrain database, but I guess that Rob's experience confirms that.

Actually other than that one stray OOM, I have not seen another, so adding the world terrain database does not appear to be problem.