Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Shutting Down Unnecessary Processes

Not sure what forum I should be in with this question.

I would like to get a recommendation or advice on the best freeware utility for shutting down windows processes while flying FSX.  I see and old version of EndItAll is available - don't know if it works with Win7.

Also see something called Razer Game Booster...I believe it shuts down processes.

Any recommendations, links or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Try this Bryan http://m.en.softonic.com/app/alacritypc

By Ken Salter Recommended by PJ @DX10 forum

Seems to be the most popular for FSX.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

OK thanks, I'll check this one out.

Near CAM3

I would recommend against that link. Malwarebytes  says it is Malware.

There is little upside to shutting down processes....you have to be very careful what you shut down.  I believe you are asking for trouble in going down this road.  I know because I went down this road and ended up having to do a total reinstall of my OS.  Of course I also stopped running W7 updates for a year.  Good luck and proceed cautiously! 

I picked it up from here.  Softonic is some sort of other program, as mentioned malware.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/alacritypc/

Haven't tried it yet.  I just thought that I might be able to squeeze a little more out of my old tired machine if I could shut down non essential processes.  I have so much stuff on my computer for various hobbies that I have that there is tons of processes running in the background. 

Near CAM3

Alot of people wind up turning off WMI somehow with these miracle service stoppers which causes a massive amount of problems.

Be careful!!

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Checking CPU load for all active processes in Process Explorer indicates that there is hardly anything to gain from shutting down services.

Of course, you shouldn't run backups, AV scans etc. in the background when simming.

Since several years I use GameBooster.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

For about a year I was experiencing FSX crashes on exit. Not a huge problem, given the fact I was shutting Down anyway, but an obvious sign of something wrong.

After my last O.S./FSX clean install, I noticed no more crash on exit. I realized after a few weeks I had not reinstalled my Razer Game-booster. I reinstalled it and guess what? Yup, crash on exit FSX.

Couldn't find which service it was shutting down to cause this, so I don't bother with it any more.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

This sounds to me like I should stay clear of messing around with shutting down processes.

I notice some are talking about "systems" vs "processes", are they the same?

I have 12 Gigs RAM and when I check my memory and CPU usage there appears to be lots available.  I notice that I have up to 90 processes running in the background or listed in my processes list so I don't know if they are running or just sitting there idle.

But by the sounds of it i might not get much if any gain by worrying about shutting down stuff.

Near CAM3

Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) gives you a continuous readout of CPU load per process (all 90 of them, if you want to). Most of the processes I've observed hardly do anything during a flightsim session. (Refrain from performing defragmentations, though. :P)

Thanks Oliver.  I will check this out. 

I have Norton 360 which I have set to do ongoing defrags during quite times, I never have an issue and my drives are fully defragged all the time.  I once tried one of the "more superior" defrag programs and it "screwed" up many of my programs. Perhaps I had not set it correctly, not sure but that cured me from what I would call "over defragging".

cheers.

Near CAM3