Sign in to follow this  
spokes2112

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

Hello Gents,

I thought I'd share this with you, a little story from over the weekend. A life changing event!

As you know I missed Saturdays flight due to a little volunteering work while EAA's B-17 had a tour stop in Green Bay. Long days (9:30 - 5:00, Fri - Sun) as it was hot out but with a nice breeze. No problem!! I ended up doing ramp safety and security which was cool. (slightly cooler under the wing LOL)  On Saturday many of the volunteers bugged out at about 2:00 and we were left with a minimum crew. Sunday's roll call was even less and for a few hours we had a skeleton crew until a few phone calls were made to get 2 more volunteers. It was a good thing they showed up. Sunday we ended up having even more of a crowd than Friday or Saturday.

After the tour stop Aluminum Overcast was going back to Oshkosh for some maintenance prior to heading to Madison for a "Bomber Roundup".  From there, they depart en mass back to Oshkosh for the big event.. This had been known from information relayed by the pilots and engineers/ground crew. Something secret was a-brewing Saturday evening and was not revealed until Sunday at about 3:30.

Al Timmerman, the owner of Jet Air Group FBO & our EAA chapter Vice-President seems had conjured up something with the crew. Maybe a discount of the 850 gallons of 110 that was put in the B-17 on Sunday morning? I don't know.. Anyway at about 3:30 he made the rounds to all the volunteers and asked the following - What are you doing after we close up? ( I was thinking dinner or something ) How would you like to ride the B-17 down to Oshkosh? From there we'll find a way back.  I nearly filled my drawers. :P A gracious "thank you" for the volunteers that worked the whole weekend FOR SURE!

We all want to be pilots, if not already, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Well, being an EAA member for over 20 years, going to school for avionics/instruments, a member here since the early days and looking up every time I hear an aircraft one thing has been missing.. I have NEVER been in one! (Airliners do not count :lol: ) Been on a couple Bell 47 rides, that doesn't count as an airplane either.       

I AM STILL GIDDY! MY FIRST AIRPLANE RIDE WAS IN A B-17!

Here a some pictures and a video... 

Saturday - http://s167.photobucket.com/user/spokes2112/library/Aluminum%20Overcast%2019JUL14

Sunday - http://s167.photobucket.com/user/spokes2112/library/Aluminum%20Overcast%2020JUL14

Jeff, there's a special treat for you 2 minutes into the video.  :LMAO:

Here is a picture of me hard at work. HA! actually on a break, my post was at the aircrafts 10 o'clock position.
10373719_772432149445820_858879927653767

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Wow Roman! What an incredible treat you and the other lucky volunteers got. I am truly thrilled for you. B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Nice !  Good for you,,,,,,

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

I'm a strong believer in karma.  Looks like your good karma from a weekend of helping out earned you a real treat. Congrats.  What a thrill that must've been - a ride to OSH in a B17?  Doesn't get much better'n that!

Scott

Good for you, your first flight and in a B-17, it dont get any better than that, what a memory.

Fantastic Roman!!!!  Now thats what I call a plane ride!!!  Very special.

I am delighted you had the opportunity to have the experience and am more that a bit envious.

I may have to work up a B-17 leg in our tour. 

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

I shouldn't have been leaning over the keyboard while I watched the video.

All I can say is, wow!.

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

I can now say, I know a guy who flew in a B17. Soo-bloody-perb! :American Flag:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

What a great experience Roman!!  And it sounds like it was well-deserved too.  Congratulations!

Wonderful!

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1