Sign in to follow this  
Rob Haynes

VAT-SPY Won't Launch

I am having a problem with VAT-SPY that is driving me insane. It simply won't launch! Every time I try to launch VATSPY the program never opens. When I right-click to run as administrator I get the normal Windows pop-up asking if I want to run it, when I click YES I get the little blue circle next to the pointer, but nothing happens after that. 

I have uninstalled through the control panel, deleted the VAT-SPY folder from the Appdata/roaming folder and done a fresh install with a brand new download from the website and still have the same problem. 

I checked both Windows Firewall and Malwarebytes and there is nothing that I see in those two applications that would stop it from loading.

I posted about this on the VAT-SPY and VATSIM support forums and received no help. Any ideas here? 

I had it installed a year or so ago before doing a clean FSX reinstall and it worked perfectly back then.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

i5-10600K 4.6 gHZ | GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | G.SKILL 32GB (16 GB x2) DDR4 | Corsair H115i RGB 280mm Cooler | 500 GB SANDISK SSD + 2 TB SATA III

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

Don't know if it's your problem, but my experience with VAT-Spy not starting is that it's already running. It minimises to the hidden icons section of the task bar. Did you check there?

Ray

Thanks for the help Ray, but that's not happening to me.  It's not in my taskbar and there is no sign of it in task manager under either "Applications" or "Processes".

i5-10600K 4.6 gHZ | GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | G.SKILL 32GB (16 GB x2) DDR4 | Corsair H115i RGB 280mm Cooler | 500 GB SANDISK SSD + 2 TB SATA III

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

This just started happening to me. The odd thing is - it works fine on my W10 PC, just won't start on W10 Laptop. Wants to download .Net framework but it never downloads. Any ideas?

Eric Parker

I did a Google search for 'vat-spy won't launch' and found several possible solutions. One possible fix was to delete the VATSpyConfig.xml in your User\Appdata\Roaming Vat-Spy Folder.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I fixed this the other day and had since forgotten what it took but now I remember.

I uninstalled VATSPY and when I tried to reinstall it, the installer looks for .NET 3.5 which it couldn't find and so wouldn't install. The most recent Windows 10 update had deleted all the .NET files so the installer failed. Apparently .NET 3.5 is so old that Microsoft wouldn't locate it and so the installer gave up. I ended up downloading .NET 4.62 and then the VATSPY installer found 3.5 so now it works.

I am not sure why it works on my PC which doesn't have any of the .NET stuff. But the .NET files I installed to make this work are no longer there either, only Visual C++ and some MSXML stuff.

BTCOM!

Eric Parker

I had the same problem and I think it was because I didn't use the recommended folder. When I reinstalled and let it do it's thing it works fine. 

"You can't soar with the Eagles if you're out hooting with Owls"

Windows 11 P3Dv4/5 FSXSE XPlane MSFS2020, B450 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C02) 1.0 MB, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (MSI)Graphics Card,64GB Dual-Channel RAM , EVGA G3 750 W 80+ ATX Power Supply