Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Maybe a little more news on Dovetail Games's plans for FSX . . . .

Did DTG purchase the Train Simulator 'franchise' in a similar way as Flight Simulator from Microsoft? ... or how did that work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovetail_Games

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

but the engine is clearly dated. However I'll admit I don't own the game.

As a DX11 game with moving shadows in the (VC) etc. etc. hardly a dated engine compared to FSX. Also I note you don't own the game ... end of credibility. 

Also I note you don't own the game ... end of credibility. 

Well i do, i have owned every release from TS 2012 i would seriously struggle to tell the difference between the first release and the current 2015 offering.

Have a look at this video, while it's basically supposed to be 'funny' it shows numerous bugs (not addressed since release 2012) and limitations of the graphics engine, nice floating houses, bridges to nowhere.

Also worth watching from the same guy:

They look almost the same save for some slight graphic enhancements

Ian R Tyldesley

For those who're still confused, this rather simple statement from Dovetail Games seems pretty darn clear and unambiguous.......

We have a license to re=release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. Ultimately overall direction for the product remains with Microsoft.

If that's the case, then what can they possibly release in less than a year?? :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Nerd 3's increasing deliriousness in the video rather proves the point. In that since TS2012 serious bugs have not been addressed.

Expect FSX's menus to be dressed up a little and that's your lot! Except having to pay through the nose for every little add on paint job etc.

Yes, but if Dovetail Games do not have a license to make any improvements to FSX (other than a few bug fixes), then what on Earth are they intending to release? An entirely new flight simulator using the "Microsoft Flight Simulator" franchise name?? I really don't get it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, but if Dovetail Games do not have a license to make any improvements to FSX (other than a few bug fixes), then what on Earth are they intending to release? An entirely new flight simulator using the "Microsoft Flight Simulator" franchise name?? I really don't get it.

In the same way they fanfared the release of TS2015 as something new and exciting. Dressing up the menus is all they can do. Ummmm hasn't thet already been done for FS9 for free on avsim methinks!!

Not the name. They have a license to use the 'flight simulator technology' to produce their own, unique "flying game". In other words, they have access to and permission to use code for their own product.

Keep in mind that we are discussing two discrete events: relaunch of FSX+A on Steam, and a totally new 'flying game...'

Honestly, I don't see any possibility to have anything worthwhile ready even by December 31, 2015...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

They have a license to use the 'flight simulator technology' to produce their own, unique "flying game". In other words, they have access to and permission to use code for their own product.

Yes, but what code are we talking about? Surely that would be "chunks" of the FSX source code? Isn't that the same as modifying FSX?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That's the great unknown. For all I know it could include the core engine of FS as well as code sections from Flight...

I seriously doubt that they will be able to utilize the scenery, terrain, or navigational data though, as those were licensed from various sources by MS specifically for FSX.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's the great unknown. For all I know it could include the core engine of FS as well as code sections from Flight...

I seriously doubt that they will be able to utilize the scenery, terrain, or navigational data though, as those were licensed from various sources by MS specifically for FSX.

That means then that (especially with their TS experience) they will try to sell loads of dlcs in order to build up scenery. Will it be any better? Probably not. Tip don't go buying endless sceneries from steam for stuff you've already got!

The way I read their announcement is that they are releasing FSX to Steam in its original form (possibly fixing multiplayer) and then using the FLIGHT engine to develope a new game. Maybe I read it wrong?

Yes, but what code are we talking about? Surely that would be "chunks" of the FSX source code? Isn't that the same as modifying FSX?

Perhaps the restriction on modifying FSX is only limited to the upcoming Steam product that bears the FSX name. Basically Microsoft wanted to make sure that it is still compatible with the currently available FSX product. The sim they are releasing next year could then still use the FSX code, but won't be called FSX.

Honestly, I don't see any possibility to have anything worthwhile ready even by December 31, 2015...

But worthwhile to whom? Its almost a given that the current community will be dubious, but a totally new generation of users, offered a beginner-friendly flight experience using an aviation version of DTG's new "Train Academy" to ease them into simulation in a way the current ecosystem barely even gives lip-service to anymore, (P3D doesn't even acknowledge newbies, as far as I can tell) might be just what the doctor ordered for many people who equate the word "sim" with impenetrable/boring.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5