Hi guys,

I want to uninstall and have a clean Installion of FSX but would like to hear your thoughts n feedback if I should go with a SSD or a normal HDD? Anyone using a SSD would like to share your experiences with FSX please.

Regards,

Gizmo05

SSD only for FSX?

Personally, since I use my PC for lots more than just FSX, I prefer to have the OS on a SSD first so that nearly everything is fast.

Loading the flight is much much quicker, especially if you have a lot of pay-ware. Once flying, there isn't much change, a nice luxury but far from a must have.

-Iain Watson-

I just saw today that you can get a 500gb SSD Samsung EVO840 for about $200...that is a hard one to pass up.  Seems lately, the cost of SSD have really come down and I suspect that they will overtake the mechanical HDD market.  As Igloo_lain pointed out, there are significant improvements in data transfer rates fro FSX so I guess if you are itching to spend some cash, pick one up and use it...or just send the money my way and I will ensure it gets used wisely. ;)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

As VB said, OS should get first dibs on SSD space unless you only use the machine for flight sims. It will make the most impact on your day to day computing experience.

If you have space left after that or multiple SSD's, then without a doubt the SSD is the smart choice.

My (gaming laptop) setup is 3 SSDs, one smaller one for the OS, the other two are a RAID 0 pair for game and sim installs. The load speed difference vs HD installs is remarkable, not just in FSX/P3D but in all games/sims. I do have a conventional HDD in as well and I wouldn't dream of installing games on it now.

Hi guys,

I want to uninstall and have a clean Installion of FSX but would like to hear your thoughts n feedback if I should go with a SSD or a normal HDD? Anyone using a SSD would like to share your experiences with FSX please.

Regards,

Gizmo05

Just re-installed all on an a Samsung 256Gb PRO SSD. Besides the OS loading very fast, I've found FSX to load fast too. Installing all the necessary files just for 4-5 aircraft and UK2000 and 5 Aerosoft sceneries was a fast process. Have not got around to my Orbx, REX4, etc but will probably keep them on the 1Tb HDD.

I use a 128 gb ssd for my os. Plenty of space if you're only planning to install the os on. And for fsx and p3d i have them on my 1tb hdd

Cheers

I moved every bit of FSX on a SSD on my new computer early this year and wouldn't have it any other way. A fully loaded (OrbX sceneries, meshes, etc...) FSX now loads reasonably fast . Not the 2/3 minutes like with my HDD.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

OS on a SSD yes

FSX on a SSD, yes much faster loading and when flying you know when it needs to load anything in its doing it asap. Like 550 mb per second. It does not work like that but sure helps imo.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

SSD is great choice, I have changed to it this week.

However remember that every SSD has limit of write cycles after which it is useless.

This lead me to answering this statement below:

Seems lately, the cost of SSD have really come down and I suspect that they will overtake the mechanical HDD market.

I don't think so. HDD is better to store data while SSD to keep data where performance gain is needed. With that being said I think those two technologies will coexist together for a quite time.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

SSD is great choice, I have changed to it this week.

However remember that every SSD has limit of write cycles after which it is useless.

This lead me to answering this statement below:

I don't think so. HDD is better to store data while SSD to keep data where performance gain is needed. With that being said I think those two technologies will coexist together for a quite time.

Whilst the points about the reduced lifespan compared to HDDs in normal usage are valid, it would be worth reading the following test to get things in perspective:

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4178/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion

This was done with several Samsung 840 series SSDs (which are a commonly available SSD and actually the exact model I use personally) and suggested that the time to the point where write cycle limits become the limiting factor is measured in tens of decades for the average user with a normal daily usage profile.

That doesn't mean they will last decades, but the SSD specific risks relating to write cycles are often overblown when we consider that the functional life of a computer is usually under 10 years.

There are good reasons to have data in long term storage on a HDD, but they mostly relate to $/GB and long term data retention in a powered down state rather than due to limits on SSD working life.

Cheers,

Jamie

Whilst the points about the reduced lifespan compared to HDDs in normal usage are valid, it would be worth reading the following test to get things in perspective:

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4178/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion

This was done with several Samsung 840 series SSDs (which are a commonly available SSD and actually the exact model I use personally) and suggested that the time to the point where write cycle limits become the limiting factor is measured in tens of decades for the average user with a normal daily usage profile.

Thanks for link, it is interesting - I am reading this now. I have the same SSD drive but it's 500GB.

I know it can take years to reach that limit, however it is good to know there is this limit at all. Some of FSX / P3D addons could be very large in size and it is easy to waste space.

Two days ago I have reinstalled my Windows 7, installed P3D from scratch, FS Global 2010, ORBX Global, Vector, OpenLC, REX + ASN and few airplane addons and Samsung Magician shows I have already wasted 350 GB.

Of course, you don't reinstall everything everyday, however it is good to write to SSD with some caution. Ie. Installation file for P3D is 10 GB. If you download it and extract it on SSD you waste 20 GB already. You can avoid that using HDD.

Cheers

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.