Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Abacus "Fly the Airbus 380" would first purchasers plz ...

Sub sez it all. Can we get some thoughts from those who take the first plunge and buy the new Abacus package?Thanks,bt

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence here but the A380 is not even in full production yet. The screen shot's look too much like a 'Perfect Flight' release to me...

I cant believe there is a market out there for this let alone 3 A380 releases (eventually). Like Dillon said the A380 hasnt flown yet. With all the great releases out I figure these are just for payware collectors cause I cant imagine anyone flying more than once. Well I just my opinion I am sure some may disagree.

Dillon and Andrew...while I can't argue with you that the A380 is not in production yet, what does that have to do with making a model based upon it's published specs and releasing it for flight in our virtual world?This is, after all, a software of simulation.There is no "Wright Flyer" in production today, but you can fly it in MSFS 2004.My 2 cents,bt

And so does the product title... "Fly the XXX" is what PF name most of their products.

Well, FS.com and AVSIM both happily promote this garbage, and not enough people send in email complaints to protect other flight simmers who may not be as knowledgable.

It is in full prodution, but not in service yet and it will be making the first flight this summer. Just because it has not flown yet doesn't mean the designers don't know exactly how it will fly. They have a very good idea through the computer models. Also Airbus will be building them through the flight testing and certifying process.After it is certified, the airlines will start taking delivery of the ones they have produced and put them into service as soon as they can.

Just my 2 cents worth but wonder if Abacus is also modifying all the runways/airports where this aircraft will takeoff/land. I understand most airports will require substantial modifications when the A380 does actually fly and carry passengers.Jim

i've been to a presentation of the A380 given by Capt. Xavier Lesceu (chief pilot A380 at airbus) .. i've seen lots of shots from the flightdeck and an overview of all the new features .. it's gonna take several months to maybe years from the day the A380 comes into regular service until the day we see a high-quality A380 sim for FS .. gone are the traditional FMC's .. gone are all the manuals .. everything can be consulted on the screens inside the cockpit .. i'd really love to see a good simulation but even more so i'd like to fly her (although if i get the choice, i'd go for the good old 747)

>Well, FS.com and AVSIM both happily promote this garbage, and>not enough people send in email complaints to protect other>flight simmers who may not be as knowledgable.How are they promoting it? Posting a press release/news item is not promotion. It isn't AVSIM's news page's responsibility to tell addon consumers if a newly released product is worth buying. That's what reviews and the customer's own judgement are for.Personally I've seen freeware panels and models that look 100 times better than the screenshots of this thing - couple that with the fact that there is no possible way any developer can make an "accurate" A380 when the aircraft hasn't even flown, and I think that adds up to a no-purchase decision from most of us...

There is no "Wright Flyer" in production today, but you can fly it in MSFS 2004Thats a fair enough comment, I respect your view, although it is not in production it has actually flown. If you want the add on I say go for it, I can almost certainly say if you are not happy with the MSFS heavies that come with the ACOF you will not be happy with this. I guess since Abacus keeps pumping these add-ons out there must be a market. I just have a heard time understanding that when you have such terrific add-on from LDS, Dreamfleet (GA and Airlines) and PMDG that people settle for "Fly the ..." series.Like I said this is merely my opinion sorry if you dont agree just ignore the reply.

We all knew the Wright Flyer flew, we knew how the Wright Flyer looked, we have no clue how the A380 will ultimatly turn out. Heck it just barly got it's offical name designation... Here's the problem I find doing an A380 at this point:1. You mentioned published specs, I'd like you to show me where they are. How can there be specs on an aircraft that hasn't had its first test flight??? :-hmmm 2. Airlines purchasing this aircraft are subject to change. All liveries sold with this package are pure fantasy at this point. Orders can be cancelled depending on the Airline in question

"How are they promoting it? Posting a press release/news item is not promotion. It isn't AVSIM's news page's responsibility to tell addon consumers if a newly released product is worth buying. That's what reviews and the customer's own judgement are for."I am glad you mentioned that,--people should know that Avsim's mention of a new product on their front page isn't a promotion of the product. They've also mentioned some of my releases. Why? Because I emailed them a brief notice of the release. That they give everyone the same courtesy should be a given, and it's hardly promoting a product.I do think I'd find it hard to buy payware for something that hasn't been fully spec'd out yet. Anyone releasing an A38x package at this point is doing it to sell entertainment--not a high-fidelity simulation. If that's alright with someone, I think that's fine--but keep in mind that the motives of those releasing these packages is for a rather quick buck since there's no depth of pilot experience, specs or knowledge from which a good simuation can be produced.-John

"doesn't mean the designers don't know exactly how it will fly. They have a very good idea through the computer models."Fine, now tell me where any of us can get that top secret information so we can build our own model??? Point I'm trying to make here is it's too early for anyone in our community to be designing and trying to sell something they know nothing about. If a freeware guy wanted to produce an A380 package fine but if I'm going to spend my money, you dang well better know what you

"there's no depth of pilot experience, specs or knowledge from which a good simuation can be produced."This is exactly why it should be freeware John (by the way how's it going??? :-))... Anyone serious about Flight Simulation and Aviation in general is here to learn something they normally wouldn't have the chance to get close to in the real world...

Hi Andrew...actually, I was just trying to get an idea of what folks thought.I got that in spades so I my quest is fulfilled! I will take the majority opinion, and sit this one out. Cheers all!bt

If you post news about something, you better understand it and know it's accurate information. The Perfect Flight L1011, that newly released 717, and this A380 are jokes.All of which get front page coverage on FS.com and AVSIM.com with links to the developers websites, and rosey descriptions about the products. If that is not promoting, then tell me, what is it?People waste their hard earned dollars on this stuff, and they are paying the same amounts they could be paying for something much nicer that is of what we consider "payware quality." If they aren't intentionally promoting it, as you say it is just "news", they sure are not warning people about how cheap and useless some of these add ons are. Oh Hail Money!If anyone who develops these poorly made add ons for MSFS is reading, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but bashing developers here will get you thrown out pretty quickly. There is no developer in this hobby that hasn't been faulted at one time or another, and if posting news on their releases was predicated on a perfect track record, then no news would ever be posted. If you are looking to create a ruckus, don't go there. You will loose. Please go and read our terms of use. Abide by them, or don't post here at all.

>they sure are not warning people about how cheap>and useless some of these add ons are. Oh Hail Money!>>>If anyone who develops these poorly made add ons for MSFS is>reading, you should be ashamed of yourselves.Could you post a couple of screenshots that show that you actually own these addons you so roundly denounce? You must be speaking from indepth knowledge, since you project a certain kind of almost messianic authority ("you should be ashamed of yourselves.")ricardo

"Could you post a couple of screenshots that show that you actually own these addons you so roundly denounce? You must be speaking from indepth knowledge, since you project a certain kind of almost messianic authority ("you should be ashamed of yourselves.")ricardo"Their websites preview screenshots speak volumes for themselves.

But you castigated more than just Abacus. I agree with the challange to you. Put up or shut up. You make sweeping statements and "shame on you" statements, but if you can't prove that you own any of those that you so readily castigate, then your input is pretty much BS. Am I showing a lack of tolerance for this crap? You betcha.

Okay, so I did not buy these planes, because I was smart enough to know that they are not up to par compared to other developers who offer much better products at the same price. Okay, so making justifiable remarks about certain software developers on AVSIM regarding their software not being up to par is frowned upon.I never claimed to have purchased this software, and I am sure you Tom, and all the others who think I am wrong, would never purchase their software either? Am I wrong?There are exceptions to this AVSIM rile, Ariane, which you, Tom, and AVSIM have taken a stance against to protect the flight simmer.Why not these other companies?Also, I did not resort to foul language, and incivility in this conversation.

I hate to butt in to this exciting thread, but one time I wrote to the Avsim staff, because I saw on Avsim one day something like "Ariane releases 737NG" or something to that effect, but when I came back here later that same day, the headline disappeared. I wrote to Avsim staff as I was saying and asked why it had been removed and the person who responded said he didn't realize it and didn't know why. So I was just kind of following up on it now that you mention something about the fact that Avsim has taken a stand to protect simmmers against Ariane, so I'm kind of curious now, what did Ariane do? I don't have any experience with Ariane, so I'm totally clueless about what you are talking about. It was kind of wierd that I noticed that, maybe I'm paranoid, because one day my friend said he was watching the local news and he said that the evening news staff were talking about a developing story about some kind of space object like a comet or a meteor or something and right in the middle of them talking about it, the TV went blank and came back a minute or two later with a commercial, and when the news came back on, there was no mention of what they were talking about. My friend was under the impression that the government had some how censored the story. Lol.Jeff

I will not respond to this thread any longer, as I have said my piece.I have nothing more to say because my opinion has been stated, and they will not change...........any time soon.

It's a long story Jeff. And it spans several years now. I won't even try to repeat some of it here. Just do a search for "Tishma" and "Ariane" here in the AVSIM forums and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know. Start with the oldest post(s) and work forward.Doug