Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just downloaded the full release 10.30...still a champ....

With SkyMaxx, OSM and World2XPlane it is graphically also the best sim at least in areas with good OSM coverage, I think!

Agreed. There is no comparison to be made with the others anymore in that regard, XP takes it by a country mile and does it smoothly. I installed P3d again recently to see if I was missing anything with 2.3, discovered I wasn't, remembered why I uninstalled FSX and P3d in the first place.

Dave, hello...can you bring me up to speed on this? Thanks...

Mitch you kill me - you are so passionate - about X Plane and P3D v2.3 - but the stutters are still there in P3D as a lot of people are pointing out. Anyway see these shots of P3D vs. X Plane in Alaska with Orbx and REX in the former and Skymaxx and RTH in the latter - I know which does it for me and oh so smooth.

3 screens so click on them to get full effect.

http://1drv.ms/1BJEWR7

PS for got to mention HD mesh v2 and shots taken in same location.

cheers

Peter

Yes, RTH doesn't touch SMP's cloud shadows and works just fine with it.

Hm, I'll try RTH then. I just wonder why they have this remark on the download page.

Edit: I can confirm the SMP shadows are there. :)

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Give it a try! If you don't like it just scrub the FlyWithLua folder.

Well, thank you Dave...will give this a try...was in the dark about this...

Thanks again!

Mitch

Mitch you kill me - you are so passionate - about X Plane and P3D v2.3 - but the stutters are still there in P3D as a lot of people are pointing out. Anyway see these shots of P3D vs. X Plane in Alaska with Orbx and REX in the former and Skymaxx and RTH in the latter - I know which does it for me and oh so smooth.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, yes...you are right, there are 'stutters' seen by a lot of users in P3D v2.3.  Especially if folks crank up the eye candy, including 35 percent or more, A.I.  I put quotes on [stutter], as I believe it is just a massive amount of calculations for the CPU/GPU team...and the technology at present on most systems in play, just can not render per second fast enough, to create virtual fluidity.  XPX.30 can, with 'beast' settings and add ons.   Actually Peter, I am a 'generally' passionate user for all of them, including my still much used for Big Iron---FS9. That is my dedicated Big Iron Platform.  Yesterday, I just wanted to post to give a head's-up to other users that have not yet purchased XPX.30, that there IS a virtual-fluid-animation option open to them...if that (and I have read many, many times on the P3D forum...) that total real-world and fluid animation depiction IS....is at the top of their requirements, and all else follows.  In fact, some have stated that this one aspect of not getting totally fluid animation, has/is ruining the complete flight simulation experience for them. I have invested hundreds of hours, and chased down all tweak-corridors to find that one illusive goal.  Simply, if they have (as you already know...) a system that can give them massive P3D or FSX screen content...and not choke or crash, then they WILL also, get that illusive fluidity---but only at the moment, with either XPX.30 (full release), or FS9, at present.  It is, what it is...and so you either accept a slight screen-update hesitation with P3D...at heavy graphic demand, or you don't...and find something that won't....at present, to my knowledge, only XPX.30 will allow that, at most of the highest settings within the sim, as well as add on 3rdP.

Cheers,

Mitch (who uses them all...and hasn't found the one ring that WILL give me all....lol)  Each strength, is sought...and found...in all of them FS9---FSX---P3D---XPX------and fly.....   Life is good!) 

Hm, I'll try RTH then. I just wonder why they have this remark on the download page.

Edit: I can confirm the SMP shadows are there. :)

The comment was there pre Skymaxx v2 which introduced its own shadows and not those created by RTH which created shadows for the default clouds. It's just out of date.

cheers

Peter

Peter, just took a look at that A/B comparison...wow...very much identical. Wow...never saw that before.  Yeah..I now know which one you will probably tap into first!  A question,  where is snow seen in XPX.30?  When in Alaska, I only get the type of mountain coverage, that I showed in my first two shots...also in Alaska.  Is this an add-on?  I also use HD Mesh v2.

It looks great even without any adjustments, but you can play to your heart's content.

Give it a try! If you don't like it just scrub the FlyWithLua folder.

Dave, just downloaded, installed, and deleted all in the Scripts folder as you directed. I also dragged to the Trash, another Scripts Folder included in the latest version that stated it was (Disabled).  If this is supposed to be in...just let me know, and I will bring it back from the Trash to its original position. Now, to see what this does...and have some XPX.30 fun...

Thanks for pointing this out. I was not aware of this.

Mitch

Yeah you can leave the Scripts (Disabled) folder alone it's not doing anything. The main thing was just to get rid of the superfluous stuff in Scripts first.

It's a good idea to RTFM before you play with the RTH settings, personally I haven't fiddled with them much as the default isn't bad.

Peter, just took a look at that A/B comparison...wow...very much identical. Wow...never saw that before.  Yeah..I now know which one you will probably tap into first!  A question,  where is snow seen in XPX.30?  When in Alaska, I only get the type of mountain coverage, that I showed in my first two shots...also in Alaska.  Is this an add-on?  I also use HD Mesh v2.

Mitch

NE of PACV (Cordova Smith). I use FS Widgets iGMap HD. Wherever the satellite map shows permafrost or glaciers then XPX with HD Mesd will also show it almost identical to the satellite pics. Very accurate. No other add on.

I use both XPX and P3D - just love the A2A Cherokee so much - but the stuttering does my head in. But the flight model in the A2A is stunning when P3D is running smoothly . However overall I get a better feeling of flight in XPX - not just the fluidity but there is something about the depth of field in the visual for me. Can't quite put my finger on it - but almost 3D.

But as you say the choice is amazing and we are in a fabulous period of development. Long may it continue.

Cheers

Peter.

I'm hoping eventually some talented artist will code a program which changes the values based on local weather / time of day / seasons. I'd pay cold, hard cash for that puppy.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

10.30 is definitely a big improvement for me in terms of IFR. I remember one thing that kept me going back to FSX was the RealityXP units, but now with this huge improvement to the GPS in X-Plane, it works great and I haven't fired up FSX for months now. Also with addons such as SkymaxxPro and the FlyWithLUA mods, it makes X-Plane very atmospheric without affecting performance too much.

Would certainly like to see seasonal changes though, and this is one thing that I miss from FSX

Yeah, as the seasons change here in the northern hemisphere I'm starting to feel the lack of seasons in XP again...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yeah you can leave the Scripts (Disabled) folder alone it's not doing anything. The main thing was just to get rid of the superfluous stuff in Scripts first.

It's a good idea to RTFM before you play with the RTH settings, personally I haven't fiddled with them much as the default isn't bad.

Man...thanks for the head's up!   Here is a shot near Myrtle Beach, S.C.....with the haze in play...very nice!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Q6g

This pic is setting (1)...but since, this, I have settled on setting (2).  Very nice, and looks very real...

Thanks Deetee!

Man...thanks for the head's up!   Here is a shot near Myrtle Beach, S.C.....with the haze in play...very nice!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Q6g

This pic is setting (1)...but since, this, I have settled on setting (2).  Very nice, and looks very real...

Thanks Deetee!

Mitch, there is also a thread here to explain how to eliminate all of the unrealistic sandy beaches that line every lake and stream without interfering with the actual sandy beaches of the oceans (you can see those in your screenshot). You should give that a try as well.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/450582-sandy-edging-on-ponds-and-waterways/

Ryan

Ryan

Mitch, there is also a thread here to explain how to eliminate all of the unrealistic sandy beaches that line every lake and stream without interfering with the actual sandy beaches of the oceans (you can see those in your screenshot). You should give that a try as well.

--------------------------

Thanks, Ryan!...Will look into this....for sure.  Thanks again!

And the big problem for XPX getting a big following is that the UI is very complex and unintuitive and vanilla it looks horrible.

Completely disagree. I am new to X-Plane coming from years of FSX.  I purchased the latest version 10.31 and find the UI to be very easy to navigate and use.  Very simple and straight forward, but powerful and quick to navigate compared to FSX.  Like anything new to a person, time is required to learn a new system.  The more I learn the more I am enjoying XPX.  FSX, P3D and XPX all require add-ons to get the most out of the sims. Instead of further development on the system I would rather see LM spend more effort improving the default airport and city scenery, especially in the US.  This is the one area where FSX is better, but I am continuing with XPX on my very entertaining journey.