Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

My Carenado PC12 vs. Flight 1 comparison

Forget SP1

Did it not fix anything?  I'd have thought it would have at least have addressed the GNS turning off.  Their SPs haven't seemed to fix much lately. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Did it not fix anything?  I'd have thought it would have at least have addressed the GNS turning off.  Their SPs haven't seemed to fix much lately. 

It did fix the GNS turning off issue Greg, and some other bits and bobs such as the Transponder fix, but I found the AP all over the place.    I know the vast majority of users will install the SP1 but I personally believe that with the user and some of my own mods, a better more realistic aircraft can be had, by running a mod'd version of the RTM release.

It did fix the GNS turning off issue Greg, and some other bits and bobs such as the Transponder fix, but I found the AP all over the place. I know the vast majority of users will install the SP1 but I personally believe that with the user and some of my own mods, a better more realistic aircraft can be had, by running a mod'd version of the RTM release.

Ok.  It'd be nice to have their fixes too.

I have to admit that I started mucking about in the gauges folder today...just for grins or something.  I accidentally (not kidding...accidentally) unpacked one of the CAB files for a gauge and was astonished that it was an aggregation of bitmaps and XML.  I started delving into the XML, using LINDA to test a few things and, suddenly, all truths were revealed.  They actually coded their entire GNS 430 in XML.  My thought was the same thought I had when I was tasked to review and fix some code from another developer.  I spent a couple of hours surfing around his code.  I thought...it's brilliant!...it'll never work but it's brilliant! 

Woh.  They need a C/C++ coder badly.

But, it's good because I can finally fix some of those niggly things in the 350P.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Yes, it is surprising to find that all their gauge work is done purely in XML .... but on the positive side, it makes the gauges easily accessible for the likes of Bert, AtlanticFlyer (and now you!) to fix and improve them. :smile:

Yes, it is surprising to find that all their gauge work is done purely in XML .... but on the positive side, it makes the gauges easily accessible for the likes of Bert, AtlanticFlyer (and now you!) to fix and improve them. :smile:

Gonna take me a good bit to get the RPN syntax figured out.  I already fixed one issue in the Mirage tho.  So, yeah....if all this stuff was compiled into DLLs there'd be no way to fix it. 

Gregg Seipp

It did fix the GNS turning off issue Greg, and some other bits and bobs such as the Transponder fix, but I found the AP all over the place.    I know the vast majority of users will install the SP1 but I personally believe that with the user and some of my own mods, a better more realistic aircraft can be had, by running a mod'd version of the RTM release.

OK so better off not installing the service pack?

I already fixed one issue in the Mirage tho.

Ears perk up...  What did you fix in the Mirage, Gregg?

Scott

Welllll....I'm working on a few things.  Not completely clear what is possible yet.  Learning the syntax of this code is pretty wow.  So far the only thing I've fixed was the annunciator panel so that you can check it without avionics on (astonishingly, it was a matter of removing part of a line of code).  Then I started tinkering with that digital transponder just to see what I could figure out.  I made the VFR button work so that when you click it it selects 1200 in both transponders (kinda nice to have).  Learned a lot on that little exercise.  I also made the Standby button work. 

Have any things on your mind that you want fixed?  I'll have a look.

BTW...I should say this.  All those folks that say that their GNS is nothing more than the FSX wrapped are wrong.  There's a lot of code in there.  I'm fairly amazed that they could do what they did in an XML gauge.

Gregg Seipp

Why do they spend so much time coding a GPS instead of using the default or reality-xp? They should fix all the small bugs in a service pack and have a finished complete product instead of a lineup of "could be a great airplane, but..."

OK so better off not installing the service pack?

That's just my opinion Shousa, but it's up to the individual user to decide.    When the mods were applied to the base package, the plane was fantastic.   I then installed the SP1 and put the mods back in, and there were many problems.   

So personally, I would say ------->    

• If you don't want to do any mods, then SP1 is the way to go.
  • If you're adding Berts, Nicks and my mods, then the original RTM version (with the mods) is far better.

.....but again, people take things literally here and start getting funny if some opinions conflict with their own! :smile:  .... so I'll add the disclaimer that people should just do what they think is best for them. 

That's just my opinion Shousa, but it's up to the individual user to decide.    When the mods were applied to the base package, the plane was fantastic.   I then installed the SP1 and put the mods back in, and there were many problems.   

• If you're adding Berts, Nicks and my mods, then the original RTM version (with the mods) is far better.

.....but again, people take things literally here and start getting funny if some opinions conflict with their own! :smile:  .... so I'll add the disclaimer that people should just do what they think is best for them. 

I'm very interested in this bird, but I always wait for SP to be released by Carenado.  I'd rather let more qualified beta testers find and fix any problems before I buy a release.

I hope the SP allows me to add any fixes by this community. It seems that the sim community is doing more for the PC12 than Carenado.

So, I'd like to ask:

Can I apply any fixes with the latest version?

Thanks.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I'd rather let more qualified beta testers find and fix any problems

Trust me, the community fixes, particularly those by Bert and Nick, go far further than Carenado's efforts to patch this aircraft.     I dare to suggest your 'trust' in the 'authority' of Carenado's Beta Testers (do they even have beta testers??) is mis-placed! :wink:

Can I apply any fixes with the latest version?

Try it for yourself.   You can see in my quote in your post, that my answer was 'no' but perhaps the mods will work correctly for you, with SP1.

The way it works is this:

1. Carenado releases the aircraft with a number of problems - some of them identified during beta testing, but not fixed

2. Some keen users take the time to develop fixes, where possible, and document to Carenado problems that only they can fix

3. Carenado releases a service pack

4. Users find that a number of things have not been fixed

5. Go back to 2.

I have not yet received the SP and have no idea if my earlier fixes work, or do not work with it..

Bert

The way it works is this:

1. Carenado releases the aircraft with a number of problems - some of them identified during beta testing, but not fixed

2. Some keen users take the time to develop fixes, where possible, and document to Carenado problems that only they can fix

3. Carenado releases a service pack

4. Users find that a number of things have not been fixed

5. Go back to 2.

I have not yet received the SP and have no idea if my earlier fixes work, or do not work with it..

WOW! You took the words right out of my mouth.

What I should have added is "the community of beta testers." :P

I feels that the system is exactly how Bert explained it.

Bert, I might need to contact you after I get the PC12 up and running.

Thank you again to this wonderful community for all the help.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just a snippet Bert, but I added your KMC mods to a clean SP1 install, and the altitude dial would not dial at all;  Alt stuck on 0000...   :blink:  :smile:

Also, IAS seemed really messed up again (again this is with your mods, in to SP1)....... hence why I've reverted to a backed up copy of the original RTM version, with the mods in ........ = back to perfection.