Sign in to follow this  
BMagann

Does affinity mask in the config file still yield results?

The performance section of the learning guide says that the P3D v2 now takes advantage of all available cores, so is there any reason to add the affinity mask line to the p3d.cfg file anymore? 

- Bill Magann

I added it (2.4) because the core utilization was mostly on core 0; the rest of them were dawdling along at 15-20%, so I figured why not?

Using AM=255 for 4 cores/4 threads and am seeing much better balance and performance. You might give it a try and see what happens for you.

cheers,

Greg     

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Thanks Greg. I might just as well give it a go.

- Bill Magann

I didn't think it did..until i saw someone recommend it for scenery loading.so i set it at 15(used to use 14 in fsx)and i saw a noticeable improvement.

so for the time being i'm going to leave it in.

steve

I tried a couple of days ago AM=244 for a quad core with HT on and DID notice a difference in performance/smoothness in 2.4 

Dragos

I9-13900K/ Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC/ Aorus Master Z790/ Kingston 64GB@6000Mhz DDR 5/ 2TB nvme 0.2 Samsung 980 PRO/ Deepcool LS720

One thing I notice is that people are still using different settings. I guess that debate will never end! I had mine at 254 in the past. I enjoy playing around with this stuff almost as much as the actual "flying". Almost.

- Bill Magann

does P3D take advantage of Hyperthreading...i don't think it does,FSX definitely didn't.

steve

And speaking of which, what would be the optimal setting for an I-7 2600 K?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

And speaking of which, what would be the optimal setting for an I-7 2600 K?

Chas

Holy Grail right here - follow this and you will be a happy camper - have not tried it in 2.4 yet

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/444793-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/?hl=affinity+mask

This is what I used for 2700k - worked great going to try it now see what happens

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=244

You place this at the very beginning of your cfg file

Well after placing AM in there is a slight stutter noticed and cooling fans ramped up more than usual - so getting rid of it - P3D cfg file should be virgin at least in 2.4

Rich Sennett

After inserting it back into my config file my cooling fans went nuts. I guess it was doing something! I didn't notice any increased stutter.

- Bill Magann

Holy Grail right here - follow this and you will be a happy camper - have not tried it in 2.4 yet

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/444793-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/?hl=affinity+mask

This is what I used for 2700k - worked great going to try it now see what happens

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=244

You place this at the very beginning of your cfg file

Well after placing AM in there is a slight stutter noticed and cooling fans ramped up more than usual - so getting rid of it - P3D cfg file should be virgin at least in 2.4

hmmmmm....I wonder....if you might be throttling....I know I am....but that means a major OH on the Case/MOBO...the 2600K has a LOT of head room I am not using....also thinking of upgrading RAM to faster/more....whatdiyathink?...

Regards,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

hmmmmm....I wonder....if you might be throttling....I know I am....but that means a major OH on the Case/MOBO...the 2600K has a LOT of head room I am not using....also thinking of upgrading RAM to faster/more....whatdiyathink?...

Regards,

Chas

If its not throttling without it in why put it in - as for ram I would get corsair vengeance platinums - I have them and they are awesome 

Rich Sennett

I've read that faster memory speed helps cure the stutters. Do you think that is true?

- Bill Magann

It gave me +5 fps in CS777  for my old system from 13 to 18 FPS. However, for newer systems it is probably not so important.

I was wondering about the same and some other things :

HT on or Off ?

AM line in the cfg file or not ? 

AlwaysFullLoad=1  yes/no ?  

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0