Sign in to follow this  
KSATRoadWarrior

Windows 10 (7 plus 8.1?)

Windows 10 combines elements of Windows 8's forward-thinking design and the familiarity and functionality of Windows 7, still the most popular Microsoft OS. According to Web traffic-tracking firm Net Applications, Windows 7 could be found on 51 percent of desktop PCs in August, compared with just over 13 percent for versions 8 and 8.1 combined.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I thought Windows 9 was next...  :blink:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Maybe MS is going "FireFox" on us and by 2016, they will be up to Windows 18.

Article said it looked like MS might skip 9.0? ^_^

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

you can download and install windows 10 tech preview,i installed it the day it came out and i was on windows 7 previously,so far i won't be going back,its faster than windows 7 and doesn't have the modern ui like windows 8.1,its free to use until april, and new builds will be pushed through windows update,i imagine the rc will be ready after april is my guess,so far microsoft has got it right.p3d and fsx both work on my computer flawlessly and no disconnects of my flight control hardware.

The reason for naming it 10 is simple, you see... Windows 7 ate 9. [rimshot]

Thank you! I'll be here all week...

Oops, didn't click on the article link.

you can download and install windows 10 tech preview,i installed it the day it came out and i was on windows 7 previously,so far i won't be going back,its faster than windows 7 and doesn't have the modern ui like windows 8.1,its free to use until april, and new builds will be pushed through windows update,i imagine the rc will be ready after april is my guess,so far microsoft has got it right.p3d and fsx both work on my computer flawlessly and no disconnects of my flight control hardware.

Looks like a squared version of Windows 7 with 8 tiles in the start menu.  What exactly is better than 7 because I'm not seeing it nor do I like the new/not so new look (Gui looks like an XP reboot from W7)?  :Nerd:

FS2020 

I love it.

They took stuff from Win7 I loved and added it to the stuff that Win8 I loved.

IMO it is what 8 should have been. It works way better together with everything. Less of a total tablet feel and more intuitive. 

I love it.

They took stuff from Win7 I loved and added it to the stuff that Win8 I loved.

IMO it is what 8 should have been. It works way better together with everything. Less of a total tablet feel and more intuitive. 

Sounds like it might be the next Win 7 where Win 8 was another 'Vista'.

I'm downloading the ISO now and will try it at some point. I'll be really interested to see if flight controllers no longer drop out like they do in Win 8.1.

well the fact is windows 7 is aging, i hate windows 8, so windows 10 is gonna be the best option for the future,also windows 10 will have dx12 which will not be possible on windows 7,i love windows 7 but it will eventually be unsupported,i can almost guess windows 8 won't be far behind it,i actually like the windows 10 look and feel.

lol... I love these naming conventions. There was a big announcement that MS will be releasing the new name for Windows 9...

Yes, ... We got Windows 10..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

well the fact is windows 7 is aging, i hate windows 8, so windows 10 is gonna be the best option for the future,also windows 10 will have dx12 which will not be possible on windows 7,i love windows 7 but it will eventually be unsupported,i can almost guess windows 8 won't be far behind it,i actually like the windows 10 look and feel.

Windows 7 is aging???  :blink:  When XP still holds 30+ % of the market.  Windows 7 still looks great, I will say 10 is shaping up from what I've seen so far but Aero is not old looking by far.  I'd go as far as to say 10 is a mix of the XP look and 7 which is not a better look than Aero is today.  If 10 had Aero look of 7 with the direction their going it would look far more attractive.  That being said I'm more interested in features.  Moving away from Metro alone is worth the price of admission so I have to give them credit for that.  It's good to see common since has returned to Microsoft now if only we could get them to reboot the Flight Simulator Franchise.  

FS2020 

i agree windows 10 would look better with aero, windows xp may hold 30+% but is no longer supported,windows 7 is 5 years old and will be supported 5 more years at best,i am just simply saying as we move forward if we want dx12,windows 7 will never have anymore features as all it gets now is security updates,microsoft has pretty much put windows 7 on the back burner until support runs out.windows 10 will be the only option in the future,it doesn't really matter how much windows 7 holds as far as market share,its already been confirmed the majority of xp users are most likely pirated versions and no dx10 or dx11 support,xp is useless for gamers.windows 8 was a dud and i think microsoft will get windows 10 right for desktops.

I don't know how I missed this the first time around, but this Vista parody is hilarious. I hope someone makes a new version for Windows 10 some day:

It's crashing and it won't boot up!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator