Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

DSR in XPlane?

Tried DSR with the new nvidia drivers , uselss IMO , didn't really help to reduce shimmering , and I really hate this smoothing and that every thing looks smaller.

Better stick with XP's SSAA IMO

I have to test it out a little more, but I'm seeing really good results with DSR. Not necessarily much better in terms of image quality vs. max SSAA, but performance with heavy clouds seems to be much better...but again, I haven't done a ton of testing yet.

Chris

Ok, after testing it out a little more, DSR doesn't seem to offer any visual quality advantage over SSAA in XP. In fact I had to bump up to 4x res and a ton of smoothing to eliminate shimmers without using any AA in XP. I will say though that performance was excellent in heavy (default XP) clouds. I may try a combination of DSR and AA, but overall it doesn't seem nearly as useful in XP as it is in P3D.

Chris

Thanks, that basically saves me the bother of moving away from a stable driver to a new one.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I think with the right video card/drivers that supports DSR it should work regardless of the flightsim platform.....but have just started looking into this so take this with a grain of salt.....

Cheers

Martin

It does...in any game or sim, that allows you to change its screen resolution, there shall be the DSR boost resolutions beyond native for your selection as well. The sim and or game only has to have that feature to let DSR in the door....

Ok, after testing it out a little more, DSR doesn't seem to offer any visual quality advantage over SSAA in XP. In fact I had to bump up to 4x res and a ton of smoothing to eliminate shimmers without using any AA in XP. I will say though that performance was excellent in heavy (default XP) clouds. I may try a combination of DSR and AA, but overall it doesn't seem nearly as useful in XP as it is in P3D.

I respectively disagree. With DSR running at 2.0 or greater, there is no need for ANY other tweak or AA application.  At higher resolutions, there are no shimmers, no jags, and in fact...with such a program as ORBX Global and Vector, it changes the game immensely.  The roads at 2.0 times native, are now proportioned into the terrain at life-like size and scope.  At native?  They are larger than they should be. I have seen this type of correction right across all sims....in a nutshell, DSR is a milestone to flight simulation, on any platform.  Of course, we are all typing our our take, and personal opinion.  After extensive and continued use, this is mine, and DSR will always moving forward, be the open door to flight simulation....in fact...wow...for everything that has graphics attached to the running of it....

XPX with its graphic engine, simply looks fantastic....heck...they ALL do..... :P

DSR (F)an Boy

Thanks, that basically saves me the bother of moving away from a stable driver to a new one.

Scotch, per my personal opinion, you are missing out, HUGE.

Thought I had read it has no bearing on openGL programming?

DSR only changes the rez.... openGL has already rendered to the screen, the graphic elements.....DSR doesn't interpret the code....

I actually asked Ben about that in the blog , it's almost the same as the SSAA that's already in XPX.

It should work with XP becuase there is no need that the developers will need to do somthing in order to make it work with XP.

Ben said that in terms of performance he expects the same hit just as SSAA in XP, but maybe Nvidia are using more sophisticated code or somthing that'll make the result better , so I wonder , if somebody tried it , how is the performance actually , and how it does affect shimmiring comparing to 4XSSAA let's say...?

If it turns out to be what it is promised to be ... I think we have a game changer.

Just bought a new GTX 780 6GB , wnat to buy a new PC also , can't wait to see what XPX looks like with this monster :D

No not the same hit i get better performance with DSR than with SSAA and boy does x-plane look even more gorgeous.  I am Running a EVGA 570 HD card though and yeah its amazing.

No I have no shimmering I have Anisotropic cranked to max and running DSR 2x at %33

As for other games War thunder useable but you drop to about 40fps not the usual 60-80fps.  in firefall amazing game looks even better Farm simulator crisper.   lol

No not the same hit i get better performance with DSR than with SSAA and boy does x-plane look even more gorgeous. I am Running a EVGA 570 HD card though and yeah its amazing.

No I have no shimmering I have Anisotropic cranked to max and running DSR 2x at %33

As for other games War thunder useable but you drop to about 40fps not the usual 60-80fps. in firefall amazing game looks even better Farm simulator crisper. lol

Maybe I did somthing wrong ...?

I have a GTX 460 1gb , tried DSR 2x with 33% however it all was more blurry and didn't seem to help AA.

After I choose the DSR profile , I should choose the new screen resolution right? Nothing to do inside XPX?

My Titan suddenly produced a crisp image without AA, almost doubled the framerate after I updated Nvidia driver to 344.48, using 1 30" monitor at 2560x1600 and 2 20" at 900x1600. Must be DSR?

Torfi

Tried it again with my GTX 460 , well , I think it actaully works!

Compared 4XSSAA without DSR VS 2XSSAA & 2X DSR , the same quality and frame rates are higher.

I can get 20 FPS with "fake" 4XSSAA with my GTX 460 , cool!

Maybe I did somthing wrong ...?

I have a GTX 460 1gb , tried DSR 2x with 33% however it all was more blurry and didn't seem to help AA.

After I choose the DSR profile , I should choose the new screen resolution right? Nothing to do inside XPX?

How did you set it at DSR2x? and 33%? is there a a guide on how to do this?

It does...in any game or sim, that allows you to change its screen resolution, there shall be the DSR boost resolutions beyond native for your selection as well. The sim and or game only has to have that feature to let DSR in the door....

I respectively disagree. With DSR running at 2.0 or greater, there is no need for ANY other tweak or AA application.  At higher resolutions, there are no shimmers, no jags, and in fact...with such a program as ORBX Global and Vector, it changes the game immensely.  The roads at 2.0 times native, are now proportioned into the terrain at life-like size and scope.  At native?  They are larger than they should be. I have seen this type of correction right across all sims....in a nutshell, DSR is a milestone to flight simulation, on any platform.  Of course, we are all typing our our take, and personal opinion.  After extensive and continued use, this is mine, and DSR will always moving forward, be the open door to flight simulation....in fact...wow...for everything that has graphics attached to the running of it....

XPX with its graphic engine, simply looks fantastic....heck...they ALL do..... :P

DSR (F)an Boy

Scotch, per my personal opinion, you are missing out, HUGE.

How did you set it up? I use a GTX 770 4gb, I thought I knew how to, but am I missing something?