Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Corrupt downloads

Hello,

In the last few days I've run into an issue that I've never seen before. Any downloads that are in the zip format when opened are corrupt. It doesn't matter what site I download it from or what zip program I use to open, it gives an error message that the file is corrupt.When doing a Google search for this problem a number of things are given for this problem. One is network settings. That doesn't apply because I can download to my laptop and open them just fine. Another is a bad memory stick. I've done memtest with no errors so I am at a loss for a solution. If anyone has had this problem before I'd appreciate some advice on how to deal with this.Thanks.

NAX669.png

If you have an anti virus program running turn that off and download one that was corrupt before and see it that works.

Before you turn off your AV and download make sure that you know you are downloading from a safe site.  Also after you download you can turn your AV back on and scan the downloaded file before you try to unzip it.

I had the same problem when downloading Milviz stuff.  I turned off AV and Windows Firewall, during download and installation then back on after.  That fixed it for me.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I tried it with both the AV and firewall off. No luck. It seems like larger downloads are corrupted, while smaller downloads are ok.

NAX669.png

Patrick,

I've used Download manager. I've tried different browsers. I'm pretty well stumped.

NAX669.png

I turned off AV and Windows Firewall

I do not recommend anyone turning off Windows Firewall even for a second. It is very dangerous as there are programs out there that are looking just for that to happen. Just turning off AV is sufficient. My sister turned her firewall off recently and went on the Internet and less than 20 seconds later her system was hit by a virus and locked up on her. She ended up reformatting and reinstalling Windows. It is on by default as Windows Update does go on the Internet soon after you install Windows and downloads updates. I do not use an anti-virus program and just use the Windows Firewall and have never had a virus hit my system and this is since August 1991.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

The firewall and AV are on continuously. I'm at a loss as to what is causing this but I'll keep looking for an answer.

NAX669.png

I do not recommend anyone turning off Windows Firewall even for a second. It is very dangerous as there are programs out there that are looking just for that to happen. Just turning off AV is sufficient. My sister turned her firewall off recently and went on the Internet and less than 20 seconds later her system was hit by a virus and locked up on her. She ended up reformatting and reinstalling Windows. It is on by default as Windows Update does go on the Internet soon after you install Windows and downloads updates. I do not use an anti-virus program and just use the Windows Firewall and have never had a virus hit my system and this is since August 1991.

Best regards,

+1. Its not necessary to turn off the windows firewall to get around false positives. Just the AV.

@Mike Try using a download manager like GetRight. I often get this problem because my internet sucks. Its a problem on the server side where things time out. A download manager will get around them somehow.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Jonathan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Get Right, but still no luck. I usually use Free Download Manager with good results, but this just started and won't go away.

NAX669.png

I tried Get Right, but still no luck. I usually use Free Download Manager with good results, but this just started and won't go away.

Try this recommended solution - http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/150/.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thanks for the help, but still no luck. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. I can download to my laptop and transfer on a thumb drive but I'm curious as to what is going on.

NAX669.png