Sign in to follow this  
Timberleaf

Prepar3D v3.0?

Watching LM through the years one can easily see that they don't like to spend time responding to questions that have been asked and answered. They have said that it is something that they are looking at, I take that as developer speak for evaluating just how, why when and what needs to be done to produce a 64bit sim. Giving their attitude referenced earlier, I seriously doubt that we will hear ANYTHING further from LM about 64bit until they actively start working on it.

I believe they know it's inevitable but from what I've read and heard from them, their first priority is maximizing the result for the 32bit system. After that, they will look harder at 64bit.

Think about it, converting P3D as it stands to 64bit could take easily a year or more just to convert code not even considering debugging. I believe they want and need a solid base from their commercial customers (not necessarily the flightsim community) to allow them to take the time needed to work on 64bit.

Just MHO,

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'd be shocked if LM doesn't have a stripped down skeleton 64 bit version of P3d running in-house.

I'd be shocked if LM doesn't have a stripped down skeleton 64 bit version of P3d running in-house.

I'd agree with that possibility, even if it was only the splash screen and some basic hooks. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

My two cents.... we are lucky to be having an argument about x64 bit again.  Means we have a future in flight simming. We missed that when Aces closed. :)

If they have to, I'd actually prefer if they threw the baby out with the bathwater this time, and aim for a future-focused core sim platform (DX12+, logic optimization, 64bit, etc.) rather than backward compatibility.

The difference this time is that the 3PDs are already enagaged, so having them around early in partnership could mean their products are ready for release in tandem (making the transition much less painful)...

I agree that at some point 64 bit has to come. Also, I have read that DX12 offers some exciting advances over DX11. Perhaps LM is waiting for the release of DX12 to begin creating the future in earnest. Other good news with DX12, is it will be compatible with Nvidia cards back to the 400 series. Not bad...eh?

My understanding is that a move to 64 bit will not be totally catastrophic. It doesn't require a complete rewrite of all the addons. Is that correct? If not, I would appreciate being enlightened. Also, would it not be in LMs best interests to assist addon makers in making the switch?

P3Dv3.0, let me dream about this. I am not a software guy so I do not know technical details.

• Non flat airports
  • Better rain and snow  
  • Rain on windshield (I know some payware aircrafts have.). 
  • Better flight dynamics (l really like flight dynamics in DCS. I like the one of MJQ400, too)
  • Better AI and ATC behavior, support for SID and STAR (at least make it easier for 3rd party to develop better ones)
  • No sudden change of clouds (I am using Opus, is it solved in ASN?)
  • Better AA (can LM do any more about this?)
  • Better sound, especially environmental sound (here again, I really like the sound in DCS too)
  • Modeling of pilot and copilot (is it possible even now? Only a framerate issue?)

I guess that not many are of LM’s interest. But I am still wishing....

Pretty much this + 64bit

Watching LM through the years one can easily see that they don't like to spend time responding to questions that have been asked and answered.

I agree - i'm not asking Lockheed Martin to spend time responding to questions that have been asked answered.

I'm simply asking others if the statement dated on January 20, 2014 is the latest one on this point, or have I missed a later one?.

Pretty much this + 64bit

+1 - and yes:

Certainly supporting 64bit to hopefully become available in the future.

Oh my god, for you talking about that 64-bit isn't necessary - please leave. LM need conformation from the community and the majority is pro 64-bit simulator, simple as that. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

We are at v2.4.....still a year or more left before v3.0 I think.  A lot can happen in the next 18 months as far as a 64 bit version even gets to early alpha.

I think it will be at least 2 years before guys like Rob start beta testing.

I'm not a power user of FPS killing add ons. P3D v2.4 with just FTX Global looks great, runs great. I'm happy.

FaxCap

I agree - i'm not asking Lockheed Martin to spend time responding to questions that have been asked answered.

I'm simply asking others if the statement dated on January 20, 2014 is the latest one on this point, or have I missed a later one?.

Understood. I am not aware of any further public statements from LM - LOTS of speculation from others tho! :)

Vic

LOTS of speculation from others tho!

And some denial given the latest statement "And if we do release a 64 bit version..."  [My emphasis]

There will be a 64bit version.  The work they are doing now, much of what they've recently done, is the greater part of moving to 64bit.  That being that on a project as large as Flight Simulator the real challenge is the two years for the team themselves to get integrated into the software.  It's really not that difficult to port a project to 64bit.  It is extraordinarily difficult to understand intimately the logic of complicated bits of code.  There is not much "rewriting", as that implies new logic.  There is reinterpreting the logic to 64bit, which implies understanding the logic that is already there.   Software like FS evolves; it's spawn is usually 80+% memetically of what it was the previous iteration, and it will be the same for a 64bit port.  Legacy issues will probably be something that can be fixed, a bridge created, by a 3rd party addon, given there are third party developers that intimately understand their own FS code and will port it.

In a year or two all of the great performance gains exploiting hardware to the fullest will require 64bit.  Just not there today.  

There will be a 64bit version.

Has Lockheed Martin told you that there will be a 64-bit version?

It's my opinion.  You're reading an internet forum, you know that don't you?