Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Throttle Quadrant left or right?

Hi guys,

after getting the A2A C182 I went ahead and installed my Saitek Yoke and Throtte Qudarant again (I had a problem that the QT wasn´t getting recognized when I assembles it lastly, thus it spend about a year in the box. Luckily I found the problem, now it works perfectly again.). I´m right-handed and flew the last year with my Joystick with right hand. The yoke on the other side (and the real planes) are flown left-handed.  Flown it left yesterday, that was really coplicated. What do you guys do? Cheat and set the QT on the left side?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nope, as a RW lapsed PPL, I have the yoke in the centre and throttle quadrant to the right.

With one hand on the throttle, I need to use the yoke left handed, just as in the RW when landing and taking off.

When flying Jets, I'm flying in the Captains seat, so again the throttles need to be to the right.

I do like using the joystick for gliders and stick controlled aircraft though, but have difficulty finding anywhere for it to go with my keyboard an mouse together with my yoke and throttles which are actually fixed to my desk.  If I do use a stick, then I use it with my right hand (though I could soon learn to use it left handed, I'm sure).

I believe that in the Airbus, the stick is to the left of the captain and to the right of the First Officer.

IAN

I had to put my throttle quadrant to the left of my control stick.  That is really the only place I could put it due to the design of my computer desk.

I leave everything plugged in, and swap out the yoke for my x55, depending on what I want to fly.  So on the left, I have my x55 throttle, the center is either the yoke or the x55, and the right is two TQ's mounted together on a wooden framework that can be flipped upside down for flying the Twin Otter or run in the normal position for singles or twins.  When the two TQ's are flipped, it exposes a Saitek TPM, which is really the ultimate for flying something like the C182.

However, what I really wish for is a left handed or neutral replacement grip for flying stuff like the Lancair Legacy. ^_^

Long answer short, I try to put controls where they'd actually be.

Almost the same as Jim. I have CH yoke and a CH stick and use whichever is appropriate. Along with a Saitek TQ on my left for the older stick aircraft and a Saitek TPM (indispensable) and a CH TQ for twins and planes with TQs, on the right.

All kept plugged in. I also have (quite sad really) a cover which goes over the throttles not being used.

Looks like I have to train flying with the left hand again. I guess there´s no better plane to do that then with the A2A C182. :-)