Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

STAR including a holding

As you say what you describe is not the case in Europe. Here we never receive a STAR as part of the departure clearance (at least that never happened to me).

Correct - it's assigned to you as you get closer to the destination field. We might start doing that here because of OPDs (my own conjecture - I don't think the FAA is looking at this yet), but so far, we've avoided it.

Unfortunately I don't recall what STAR it was yesterday when I flew into EGLL that included this hold, it might have been LAM3A.

For EGLL, expect the STAR hold unless they specifically state otherwise. Except for once, I've always gotten at least one lap (and the only exception was when I was flying on VATSIM - RW, as a passenger, the hold at OCK was a conversation point many times between me and the person next to me).

The controller might be able to give you more specific phraseology, but what everyone else has been saying is how it goes.

Kyle Rodgers

In Europe if you are cleared to a star with an HOLD , you have to respect also the last assigned flight level even if differently published.

Normally an HOLD, start after you correctly enter in DIRECT/PARALLEL/TEARDROP.

Then when you are inbound of the holding pattern after the fix, you start to count 1 minute every segment.

Don't trust the NGX or any of those FMC to fly a PARALLEL or TEARDROP do it manually.

Normally the Holding pattern is set in a way that you are heading to enter the approach procedure.

Try to fly in Olbia (LIEO) and check the most crazy star procedure with DME ARC and Hold.

Here you will find an interesting free tool to now if you enter in DIRECT/PARALLEL/TEARDROP.

http://www.flightutilities.com/download_prg.aspx

Holding pattern computer

From memory, most of the time I come into EGLL on Vatsim, the controller will usually give me a direction like "Depart (place the hold is depicted) heading *Heading*"

Thanks again guys for all input, I now feel much better prepared for next flight into London or any other airport with these kind of arrivals.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks again guys for all input, I now feel much better prepared for next flight into London or any other airport with these kind of arrivals.

Try EGLC with a GP of 5.5 ;)

Make sure you're flaps 30 before glideslope intercept !!!!

Vernon Howells

Try EGLC with a GP of 5.5 ;)

Make sure you're flaps 30 before glideslope intercept !!!!

Yeah, I know about that...buckle up and prepare to dive :lol:

Richard Åsberg

Ok cool. Pretty exciting isn't it :) been looking up techniques on PPRUNE for the flare! I wouldn't like to mess that up in the RW lol

Vernon Howells

Nope, you don't want to float on that approach nor have any brake issues :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Prescious Landing distance!

But the 737-800 ain't approved to land there in the RW!

Good job we fly simulators :)

Vernon Howells