Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

High end yoke owners...are they worth it?

I use an 11-yr old PFC column yoke (and 6-lever throttle quad) that I custom retrofitted with Hall Effect sensors a few years back.  PFC sells them now with HE sensors as an option.  Worth it?  An unqualified "YES."

The Thrustmaster Warthog (comes stock with Hall sensors) is the King for my stick-controlled acft.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

@ $1000 I am. Thats the price if they get enough for an AVSIM group buy.

It does look like the perfect yoke.  But I'd really need a review before I could even think that much.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'm also in the market for a high-end yoke.  But the shipping costs  to the UK make the cost almost prohibitive - doubling the cost for the most part.  If anyone in the UK or Europe knows local PFC distributor, I'd be interested.

I'm also in the market for a high-end yoke.  But the shipping costs  to the UK make the cost almost prohibitive - doubling the cost for the most part.  If anyone in the UK or Europe knows local PFC distributor, I'd be interested.

There's one in Barcelona at Simtechdesign.com   where the the postage will be around 70 euros or so to a European country.

There's one in Barcelona at Simtechdesign.com   where the the postage will be around 70 euros or so to a European country.

Great.  Thank you

So I've googled the aforementioned yokes. There does not seem to be a definitive answer on the best one. Seems that reviews are at best far between.

I was going to do the group buy on a force feedback in the fall, but the answers from the developers provided information that was not comforting.

So is there any additional info on this topic?Seems like high end joysticks are in a murky hole with little information.

supporter.jpg

I have a complete PFC system (yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals) and I couldn't be happier. It's a night and day difference compared to my old Saitek set.

sig01.png

This is a distributer of PFC products in Europe:

http://store.simtechdesign.net/

Oh, I see now that someone else already posted this.

I just purchased the PFC Cirrus Boeing 737 yoke, throttle quadrant console and rudder pedals.  I should have it by the end of the month,  so I'll let you know how they're holding up in a few years.  :smile:

After purchasing my JetMax 737 throttle quadrant last year, which I love, I now feel that what I touch, handle and manipulate is a big percentage of the experience of flight simulation for me.

That is why I want to have good quality controllers.

I have a a Saitek X-52 joystick, which I just use for a steering tiller, but it has a HAT switch that I will use in the sim, when I need one.

Hi Robert

I purchased the beech yoke and throttle quadrant about three weeks back, so we are in for a similar delivery timeframe.  Really looking forward to experiencing the difference after years of Saitek yoking!

I have a a Saitek X-52 joystick, which I just use for a steering tiller,

That is a great idea!  Is that the twist motion?

Hi Robert

I purchased the beech yoke and throttle quadrant about three weeks back, so we are in for a similar delivery timeframe. Really looking forward to experiencing the difference after years of Saitek yoking!

That is a great idea! Is that the twist motion?

It would be really great if you could share your experience with the yoke. I'm also kind of tired of the sticky movement and plastic feel of my Saitek yoke. However, before spending that amount I definitely need some feedback.

And one final question: What is actually the difference between the different Cirrus/PFC yokes apart from the shape of the handle and the available buttons?

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I own a CH FlightSim USB with integrated throttle/mixture/prop (which is not top end at all) and generally it's quite satisfactory except for the plastic shaft and noisy springs which make the pitch axis "grabby" (for want of a better word). I've thrown lots of lubricant at it (silicone spray) which does help but also is a dirt magnet.

I considered Saitek's ProFlight yoke as it's got a nice smooth metal shaft but it only has 90 degrees of roll (versus 180 degrees for every other yoke) and the throttles were separate. However, Saitek have now fixed the roll issue with their Cessna yoke, and I rekon 80%+ of folks will find this perfectly satisfying.

Unless you've got a big budget or spend some serious time flight simming, I wouldn't recommend spending more than $200 on a yoke as beyond this point you get greatly diminishing returns.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

It would be really great if you could share your experience with the yoke. I'm also kind of tired of the sticky movement and plastic feel of my Saitek yoke. However, before spending that amount I definitely need some feedback.

And one final question: What is actually the difference between the different Cirrus/PFC yokes apart from the shape of the handle and the available buttons?

I will post my impressions, but having come from an eight year  Saitek experience, don't expect anything short of gushing about the PFC yoke.  I'm pretty sure I will be pleased.  But I'm looking forward even more to the Throttle quadrant.  I think in combo, it is bound to be really an amazing experience.

You must have seen Word Not Allowed's video's on the yoke and throttle right?  He also shows the internal mechanism's of the units in his reviews which are very indepth.  It's what pushed my over the line to purchase.

If you haven't seen it:

https://#####.wordpress.com/pfc-saab-yoke-review/

Unless you've got a big budget or spend some serious time flight simming, I wouldn't recommend spending more than $200 on a yoke as beyond this point you get greatly diminishing returns.

Some golfers spend more than both the throttle quadrant and the yoke combined on one club. If you are a serious simmer it is a justifiable investment.  If not, probably less so.  But your budget is what will dictate that and I have only recently been able to justify that type of investment after 17 years of flightsimming. The experience you get from it is very subjective, but I'm certainly not expecting deminishing returns on this investment.  I am pretty sure I'll be chuffed to bits.

Whether or not returns are diminishing or not is really subjective. I've been in a full scale simulator once and flying a 737 with a proper yoke compared to flying it with a Saitek yoke makes a HUGE difference. Whether or not this justifies the investment is a matter of budget I guess... It's just the same with every hobby. Some people spend $200 on a bike, others $20,000. To each his own...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT