Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Best water & wave animations for P3D V2.x from REX

Rob, you're hired!   :P Seriously though, thank you for your precise input here.

I'm sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation on Friday, just glad to know you're ok! Wow!!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add, that the new REX OD SP3 did in fact include the same animation fix as the one in REX4 Texture Direct.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Shore line waves are still missing - an old 2D effect that was probably removed because it clashed with the new 3D water surface, just as ship wakes used to - have not checked if that was fixed.

The most important missing wave-related item for me in P3D.

I can live without white-caps and motion above 2000ft if only I could have shore waves crashing on the beach (at the correct speed!).

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Unfortunately I was mugged at knifepoint on Friday evening, and have spent the entire weekend with police, banks, etc. Just happy to be alive, it was close! So will try to get some time in the next few days to do this.

Rob

Dang!  Glad you are OK Rob that's an awful story!  Take Care

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Nothing seems to be working for me as far as the water is concerned. I have followed the instructions stated in the P3D section of the REX forum (clearing the Shaders folder, setting the DX11 optimization for P3D, and installing a new set of textures), but I do not see any difference. My water just looks like a single texture sheet that is moving in one direction. That is not the animation that I am looking for. I want to see simulated white caps, and the "two or more texture sheets moving in different directions" effect that was apparent in FSX. This is what generates the best illusion of undulating motion of water. At the moment, it is just a flat painting that moves as a single block :(

I do not understand why I can't get this to work. A bit like the disappointment of DX10 mode in FSX on my old PC. That exhibited the same dull, static texture sheet for the water that I can see in P3D.

On a side note, I am glad that you are OK, Rob. That must have been a very frightening experience. I hope that the moron responsible is caught, and severely punished.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Rob,

Thanks for your tweaking of the WaterContants.xml file. By following your findings, my P3D v.2.5 experience has improved significantly.

Having Atlantic size waves and animation for inland water has irritated me for some time. Apparently there is no way to segregate the effects for inland and ocean water (please correct me if I am wrong). Many of my flights depart/arrive at ESGG (Gothenburg, Sweden) which requires good ocean and inland water.

I have REX Essential Plus Overdrive and have selected Calm Water. However, I was still not pleased with the balance of reality between ocean and inland water.

Here are my settings/findings:

In Sim settings: All sliders at Max/Ultra. Weather visibility with current sky and fog is set at 50 miles (one layer: -500 to 35,000 feet).

fTextureScale4 = 2 (unfortunately, any value above this causes blocky/square water textures when the sun in low).

fWindScalar3 and 4 = -1.3250 and -1.3750 (I don't care for too much water movement, especially in small lakes and rivers). However, I am still tweaking these values, trying to get the water movement effects to calm down. This will mean that I sacrifice the effects on the ocean, but I am willing to do this.

Perhaps the fSpecularxxxx and others settings can do magic? Anyway, just knowing that tweaking can be done, opens a whole new world.

Any recommendations on the above would be greatly appreciated:)

Cheers,

Steve