Sign in to follow this  
ricktorbe

Dead Water

Theyre may not be any discernable wave action at altitude in the real world, but your eyes can still detect subtle variations in the colouration and lighting of the water when the wind is calm, and also "shimmering" as the sunlight sparkles on the moving water. This is what needs to be simulated on our PCs, even if it is only an illusion of motion.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just to play devil's advocate :diablo:  :P - I live on an island and fly out every week or so. At altitude, there is almost no discernable wave action, and the static light refraction currently in P3D seems quite accurate... 

+1000

I've always been puzzled by reports of bad water in P3D. I just figured that people were running water detail too low or something.

Chris

Reed does this hold true for P3D - can I load this up while waiting for a REX4 update - thank you

You can use REX 3 with P3D anytime.  Just understand REX 3 does not have the DX11 support in areas as does REX 4.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

You can use REX 3 with P3D anytime.  Just understand REX 3 does not have the DX11 support in areas as does REX 4.

Thanks wondering if the water will be better with rex3 until new rex4 is done - I would assume rex3 does nothing to help p3d - right ? - rex4 is for p3d not p3d

Rich Sennett

You're going to have to translate your last post into English, Richard :BigGrin:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just to play devil's advocate :diablo:  :P - I live on an island and fly out every week or so. At altitude, there is almost no discernable wave action, and the static light refraction currently in P3D seems quite accurate... 

No fun. You need to change islands. :lol:

Lol! I could swap for a tropical one right about now...

I do think it'll be great to further dial in the settings like Christopher mentioned above, and that's where I'm hoping the REX4 update really gets exciting (thanks in advance Reed!).

and the static light refraction currently in P3D seems quite accurate...

So in real life you see the water below you turn pitch black even on a bright sunny day? I've seen the water surface look black from the air, but it was only in certain circumstances. There should indeed be a Fresnel effect as you change your viewing angle with the water surface (i.e. brighter out by the horizon), but it is too extreme in P3D- especially when one is looking a water down below. You could adjust the Fresnel effect in FSX via the water constants file, but not in P3D.

You're going to have to translate your last post into English, Richard 

Smart arse Chris   :BigGrin:

Rich Sennett

Just an update guys, we have released Service Pack 4 / Texture Update # 2 for users to download.

You can download the update through the REX 4 Texture Direct interface or through our forum at:

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32175-rex-4-texture-direct-service-pack-4-texture-update-2/

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Just an update guys, we have released Service Pack 4 / Texture Update # 2 for users to download.

You can download the update through the REX 4 Texture Direct interface or through our forum at:

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32175-rex-4-texture-direct-service-pack-4-texture-update-2/

:dance:

Thank you!