Sign in to follow this  
lehbird

What do you think happened with my RAM?

Hello:

Last week I went out and bought another 8GB of RAM. I installed giving me a total of 16 GB. (4 slots, 4GB each) All was running fine until yesterday when I started getting the blue screen of you know what every 5 minutes. So I took out the new RAM modules and all is fine; down to 8GB of RAM though.

Now my PC was clearly recognizing the new RAM as when I looked at my system summary it said I had 16GB of RAM; so that  would mean my motherboard can handle it right? Again, it worked fine for a week.

Could one of the new RAM sticks been bad? Could the slot on my Motherboard be bad?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It is never a good idea to upgrade your RAM by adding new sticks. Will often give instability and BSOD. RAM is very sensitive and must be from the same batch to work together.

If You want to upgrade to 16 GB buy new sticks and less is best. 2x8 work better than 4x4.

It is never a good idea to upgrade your RAM by adding new sticks. Will often give instability and BSOD. RAM is very sensitive and must be from the same batch to work together.

If You want to upgrade to 16 GB buy new sticks and less is best. 2x8 work better than 4x4.

Why not run memtest+ and actually see what's going on?

Cheers!

Luke

If it's not stable with all 4 sticks, run memtest with two at a time. You likely have a bad stick or the mono can't drive all four slots.

Cheers

Luke

Ideally all RAM should be the exact same brand and part number. And of course it must be the correct type for the mobo. That said, missing RAM after installation almost always indicates that the RAM was not seated properly in the slot.