Sign in to follow this  
niyoko

Anyone Else Notice This Price Hike?

Anyone else notice the prices for Flight Simulator X on Amazon after FSX: Steam Edition came out?

Amazon.com FSX Search

Up to $200 on some of them. Just the other week I think I remember them being at the normal $25 for a boxed copy. I had told my Father, who's just now getting into FSX, that he should get the Steam version now at $5 and the boxed version later. Unfortunately at the prices I'm seeing online now for FX, I don't think anyone should by a boxed copy. The Steam version has now become the only verion of FSX I can sanely recommend to anyone, based on price. If you want to spend $80 ~ $200 on a copy of FSX then you are serious enough to be looking at Prepar3D.

I'm hoping the prices are just temporary.

physical media is going the way of the dinosaur. its going to be harder and harder to find boxed copies of pc games for under 100 dollars in the next few years. fsx is already a rare gem to find as it is.

Anyone else notice the prices for Flight Simulator X on Amazon after FSX: Steam Edition came out?

Amazon.com FSX Search

Up to $200 on some of them. Just the other week I think I remember them being at the normal $25 for a boxed copy. I had told my Father, who's just now getting into FSX, that he should get the Steam version now at $5 and the boxed version later. Unfortunately at the prices I'm seeing online now for FX, I don't think anyone should by a boxed copy. The Steam version has now become the only verion of FSX I can sanely recommend to anyone, based on price. If you want to spend $80 ~ $200 on a copy of FSX then you are serious enough to be looking at Prepar3D.

I'm hoping the prices are just temporary.

I saw those prices on Amazon and Ebay weeks before Steam release.

Remember when software came in a big box, and had a nice printed and bound manual?

I still look back fondly on my Falcon 3.0 & 4.0 binders.

For people in australia. EB shops are full of boxed gold editions. I bought mine so cheap a few months ago. I cannot believe how expensive amazon is selling them.... It would make sense if it was a rarity but seeing 10 copies at my local shop, I just do not understand....

For people in australia. EB shops are full of boxed gold editions. I bought mine so cheap a few months ago. I cannot believe how expensive amazon is selling them.... It would make sense if it was a rarity but seeing 10 copies at my local shop, I just do not understand....

Here in the U.S. there're pretty scarce. I'd go buy a few copies and sell em.

I saw those prices on Amazon and Ebay weeks before Steam release.

That still stinks. Still leaves us with FSX: Steam Edition and Prepar3D, if you fit the license.

A box Gold Edition (Japanese edition) copies in store where I am in Japan have been tagged at 19,999yen for many years already. I'm just shocked at the recent price jump in the US.

feel free to buy them yourself heh heh https://ebgames.com.au/any/any?q=Flight%20Simulator%20X%20Gold%20Edition

No kidding, I was at my local EB 10 days ago and there was a few of them lying around...

EDIT: I just realised that it is only available in store. Maybe EB Australia has bought the bulk of the remaining FSX gold edition :) And I bought my copy 3 months ago at $18, so its been on sale for a while...

This is to be expected, just think of the 10's of thousands of possible new customers world wide by Dovetail releasing there FSX:SE on Steam. This might bring about a new customer base that may want the hard copies of FSX, simple supply and demand at play. It will be interesting to see how long box prices will stay high. 

My nephew alone said several of his friends bought FSX:SE. Before the release they hadn't even thought about buying FSX in the box. This Steam release by Dovetail will be interesting, especially how 3rd party developers will handle making their products compatible on the Steam Platform.

Then the question will be the pricing structure, I am wondering what price will 3rd party developers will sell their add-ons on Steam. I am sure it will be about numbers sold, if you have a customer base in the 100,000 or more which Steam easily has, you can only imagine. Question is what is the price point were Steam players will pay for this type of simulation.

That price will be the big question for 2015. My prediction if Steam does this right and promotes FSX:SE as a entertainment platform; a learning platform to introduce Steam Customers that FSX:SE can be a stepping stone to promote real life flight simulations, it well be good for our hobby. But if they promote it as just "A Game", I am not sure it will be a success. Anyone else agree?

I see that there is a pre owned copy on eBay with a start price of £40 and a Buy it Now of £150. No  bidders so far though. (I paid  £10 for mine a few years ago)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the position reverse in time as FSX SE becomes the norm, compatiblilty issues have been resolved and add on developers start selling through Steam.

At that point expect to see eBay flooded with copies.

Remember when software came in a big box, and had a nice printed and bound manual?

Whacking people with the 520 page Falcon 4 manual...good times!

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Reading this thread I am so tempted :| A bit out of character for me though. I am a terrible merchant. Id probably end selling them for $30 lol

Those were the days! Still have a shelf full of original Amiga and PC Game boxes.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!