Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Converting FSX content to Flight

Steve, with converting aircraft, I'm not seeing the aircraft model in the Hangar. Could this be the result of a faulty .model conversion, or could other conversion errors cause this?

Two errors I'm getting whilst converting the DC3:

(0.000000, 0.000000): Contact point extend and retract times must be positive
(0.000000, 0.000000): Failed to load piston engine data

Hi Steve.

The last few versions of the ContentConverter aren't creating the needed output subfolders ( FSX World, FSX World\scenery...) It does create Temp. So if you try to make the conversion to an empty folder, the conversion doesn't even start. No FSX World and no FSX World\OutputStatus.txt

Just an empty Temp folder. It does this with FSX and with the FSX:Steam.

I went back to version 1.1.1, and it converts fine... but the object LOD fix isn't in that version.

Dick

I remember seeing that with the LOD version, the files in FSX World were deleted and then recreated. I kept my eye on the already converted files during the conversion.

Hi Steve.

When using this batch file :

MkDir FSX-SE_Base
"Flight Toolkit\ContentConverter" FSX /l:fsx_se_conversion.log /i:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX" /o:"FSX-SE_Base" /a
Pause

I get an error with the latest version (1.1.4). It states it cannot find `FSX-SE_Base\FSX World\scenery'

And that folder does not get created, as it does in older versions (1.1.1)... so something got broke in the ContentConverter.

Dick

Simply create a folder "FSX World" in your temp directory and then create an empty folder "scenery" within the "FSX World" folder, it should work then.

Hmm, I don't have the code in front of me but that doesn't make a lot of sense.  I'm pretty sure I added code to create the required folders in 1.1.2.  Maybe I am still missing another place.  I'll have to delete my conversion folder when I get home and try a full conversion.

Kavinda: I haven't tried converting an aircraft in a long time.  It could be that it was broken during the scenery conversion work.

Hi Steve.

I went back to version 1.1.1 and re-converted FSX World, then used 1.1.4 to update the FSX World conversion. That works.

So it is a matter of the folders not being created by the newer versions of ContentConverter. As I wrote, the Temp folder is created, but not any others. I'm sure you missed it because you weren't making conversions from scratch. I got led to re-creating FSX content because I mistakenly left a newly made DEM in my FSX:SE Addons\scenery folder (it looked pretty good in Flight).

Dick

Yeah, technically the conversion will run with 3rd party changes to FSX content, but I just don't know how robust my code is at handling files written by other tools, or with unconventional file names\layouts, etc.

It would be interesting to see what it would do with something like Orbx scenery, or something else along those lines.

I get an error with the latest version (1.1.4). It states it cannot find `FSX-SE_Base\FSX World\scenery'

And that folder does not get created, as it does in older versions (1.1.1)... so something got broke in the ContentConverter.

I can verify this happening to me too. I was using Flight Toolkit first time to convert FSX scenery, so didn't have the folders before. After making those missing folders it is now converting  :lol:

-eelis-

Steve, I've made two attempts last night and today to convert some addon scenery and see if it appears in Flight.

In both cases ContentConverter appears to have successfully converted the scenery and textures, and packed it up in the FSX World DLC package for Flight.

Unfortunately when I run Flight the scenery is not there, not visible. I'm not sure what to try next; perhaps use /a and try to create a .flightaddon file to see if it works?

A little direction would be appreciated, and thanks!

Ken

Not having any luck trying to create an .flightaddon file; I don't know the proper syntax and when I run ContentConverter I'm seeing the program running in a command line box but it's just a flash so I can't see what it's saying.

Since it's not working it's obviously an error message of some kind but what I don't know.

Ken

When you say add on scenery, do you mean the fsx scenery, or some other 3rd party stuff in addition to the fsx base scenery?

Did you enable the addon in Addon Manager after conversion? Do you see any errors in the contenterrors.log? Are you using GFWL or non gfwl mode?

With 1.1.4 I am getting the "Conversion failed, cannot find part of path "FSX_Base\FSX World\scenery" too.

I made the blank folders under Temp, as suggested by Majuh. For me it did not work.  It complained that the folder was not empty.  Catch 22 !

The blank folders don't go under temp, they go under the directory above Temp (i.e. FSXWorld is a sibling of Temp)

By add on scenery I mean 3rd party scenery; I thought it would be interesting to see if some scenery I have created myself using the scenery creation tool in FSX would convert and run in Flight along with the FSX base scenery. If placed in the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder in the original FSX install, or placed in the root Scenery folder, it goes through the conversion process properly and is bundled up with the base scenery as DLC, but when Flight is fired up, the scenery does not show up along with the base scenery. My FSX base scenery conversion is fine and works well, and I use non gfwl mode.

I then thought maybe I could try converting the scenery using the /a switch with the content creator and produce an add on file that could then be enabled using the Addon Manager, and perhaps that would work, but I don't know the proper syntax for using the /a switch with the content creator tool so I've had no luck with that either.

I am guessing at this point that it isn't possible to convert any 3rd party scenery, but your comment above that it would be interesting to see if scenery such as ORBX, for example, could be converted gave me the urge to go ahead and try to convert some 3rd party scenery to see what would happen.

I'll wait and see if you put something out in the future that will allow this, and be content with the base FSX scenery. That in itself is a huge plus. Perhaps someday even a new scenery creation program for Flight might come along.

Thanks for responding, and again for all of your hard work regarding Flight...

Ken