Sign in to follow this  
walken1974

upgrade gtx 570 to gtx 970

Thinking it is time to upgrade my card currently I have gtx 570 (system 2600k overclocked to 4.5) I run fsx with pmdg , utx, orbx global, rex, asn. If I upgraded  to gtx 970 what kind of performance increase could I anticipate ? My system runs well however when running pmdg ngx with stormy weather my fps definelty suffers and I was thinking the new card would help fps in moderate to heavy weather situations.  I also was considering trying prepar3d and now that it utilizes the gpu more. Suggestions Thank-you

I had a similar rig setup, 2600k @4.5 with the gtx580 and upgraded to the gtx770.  Not a whole lot of increase in FPS but I did notice an improvement in the quality. For me, the primary reason for the upgrade was to run FSX in Surround mode.  With the 770 I can run fsx on 3 monitors without much (if any) performance hit.

Kevin

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

I moved up to a 4g 770 from a 1.5g 580 and like fw_aviator & MarkW, i did not see an appreciable increase in FPS but improved visual quality. The huge dfference i find is that although i get a slight improvement in FPS, i do not get such a noticeable hit when flying in heavy weather or taxiing around say FSDT CYVR with AI all over the place. I imagine the increased vram also helps when using the BP=0 tweak which shifts some of the load off of your cpu and onto your gpu.

Definitely worth the investment for me.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'm going to do this same upgrade as soon as tax rebates come. Planning a Zotac GTX 970 because of lifetime warranty. EVGA used to have my business but now even their high end cards are three year only.

Mainly this is for P3D and XP10 so I can increase texture resolution and AA

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Most 970's can be safely overclocked to match/exceed stock 980 levels.  Even at 'stock' the latest 970's perform around Titan/780Ti levels.

Realise that MS sims remain cpu bound. The 2600K is a fine chip however Intel's latest cpu's will do more for you than the 970 upgrade alone.

Most 970's can be safely overclocked to match/exceed stock 980 levels. Even at 'stock' the latest 970's perform around Titan/780Ti levels.

Realise that MS sims remain cpu bound. The 2600K is a fine chip however Intel's latest cpu's will do more for you than the 970 upgrade alone.

why does nicks bible say that getting the wrong gpu will bottleneck the simulator then

why does nicks bible say that getting the wrong gpu will bottleneck the simulator then

Well I used a 4770K @ 3900 with a GTX560Ti in P3D.  The card,  with 'only' 1Gb on board was utilised at 100% yet I was still getting 30fps locked with cloud shadows on and most sliders to the right.  When I fitted the 970 I was getting the same performance but card utilisation was only 30%!

The OP's GTX570 is more powerful than my previous card but will still be maxed out, but not bottlenecked if my experience is any guide ... and that is why I suggested a cpu upgrade to be more relevant instead.

It's because you locked at 30 fps - the GPU will only use so much power in that case. With unlimited my gtx 570 is at max usage per nvidia inspector... And this is only 2x MSAA (in game settings)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Get the GTX970 G1, best card out there.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457521-gtx970-vs-gtx980/

I agree. If you have the room, get this card. It runs nice and cool and will work great for running 3 monitors.

As long as you have at least a GTX660. This should be the minimum for FSX.

You will see another bump in smoothness (NOT FPS) going to the GTX770 and then again to a GTX970.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Seeing as you still have a i7 2600K, you'd be limited to PCIe 2.0 instead of the newer chips (Haswell, Ivy Bridge), which are PCIe 3.0. The GTX 970 is PCIe 3.0, so you're essentialy not taking full advantage of the card by using it with Sandy Bridge.

I upgraded from a GTX 570 (PCIe 2.0) to 670 (PCIe 3.0), but only for the triple monitor support without the need for TH2Go. I was aware that I wouldn't take full advantage of the card before I upgraded.