Sign in to follow this  
Dimka

It's time to end the lag.

Hello again-

I am running on an i7 4790K @4.0, GTX 650 GPU. Asus Z-97 Maximus mobo, and 4GB of RAM, and my sim is so slow its sad. Flights rarely end up at 100%, and if they do load, they are laggy and looking around/changing vies causes the sim to freeze. And I'm done. What can I upgrade to make this all end? I would love to have a system like some of the You Tubers have that are smooth with NO stutters.

What should I upgrade to make FSX (and P3D soon) run extremely nice? I have the decent CPU/mobo, but that didn't help.

Thanks.

Try XP10 - not that you have to switch...  just for fun- try it at night especially

I use all three sims

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ignore the YouTube videos. Most of them are edited.

Why only 4GB RAM? The CPU and video card are certainly not a problem but you really need another 4GB of RAM (8GB total is fine. No need for more).  It's probable that the lack of sufficient RAM is causing texture loading to come to a standstill.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

One other thought...If you do decide to add more memory be SURE it is EXACTLY the same as the 4GB stick you have now. Any small difference will cause more grief.

If there is any doubt as to whether the new memory stick is IDENTICAL to the old one, just order all new RAM and throw the existing stick away (RAM is getting cheaper every day).

Doug

And yet another thought...I just saw your other post titled "Stick of RAM prevents computer from starting".

My advice. Throw both sticks in the trash and start over. Let us know what happens. Others could learn from how you solve this problem.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Ignore the YouTube videos. Most of them are edited.

Why only 4GB RAM? The CPU and video card are certainly not a problem but you really need another 4GB of RAM (8GB total is fine. No need for more).  It's probable that the lack of sufficient RAM is causing texture loading to come to a standstill.

Doug

Unless his version of Windows 8 is the 32-bit version.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Unless his version of Windows 8 is the 32-bit version.

And, of course, you're right. It just never occurred to me that anyone would build that CPU/mobo combination and then install a 32-bit OS. Especially since he apparently had 8GB initially (see his prior posts). But...if that's the case, that's the problem. Thanks for pointing out my perhaps erroneous assumption. I hope the OP returns to let us know what's going on.

Doug

4 gigs of RAM.   I have not seen a number that low in a new PC build in almost a decade.   Every system I see comes with a minimum of 8gigs but I don't think that is where your slow down is coming from.

And yes, IGNORE the pretty FSX/P3D 'movie' videos.  They are heavily edited and usually sped up in and smoothed out in post production using editing software.   I can get amazing 60 FPS footage of PMDG aircraft with FSRecorder's Render Out function.  :P    But that is not simming.   It's a giant illusion that will leave you chasing your tail if you try to achieve in real flight simulation scenarios.

People will tell you to use this sim or that sim.   Try all 3 if you can.   I have all 3 too but shelved all but Prepar3D which as of v2.5 I have running smooth as butter even in low FPS situations.  Thank you AVSIM for the knowledge to get my sim where I always wanted it to be!

Your system should be running smooth too.   Trust me.  I feel your pain.  When I first started this hobby I wanted to run out into traffic screaming "WHY LORD!?  WHY!?"  It can be frustrating when what we are shown is not what we get.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Thanks guys for the tips. The reason why I have 4GB of RAM is because one of my RAM sticks died, and my computer will only run with x1 4GB stick. If I run with both, then the computer turns on for a seconds, then turns off, then turns on again, and repeats. I'm ordering Corsair x16 GB's RAM this weekend. Any suggestion of a good graphics card I could upgrade to? Keep in mind that I'm not a millionaire, so no Nvidia Titians.  

GTX 970 for budget concious.   GTX 980 if you got the extra bucks.   I went from 770 to 980 and the difference is quite noticeable, especially in games outside of simming.  I went from playing Skyrim on one 1920 x 1080 monitor with just a few MODS to 5760 x 1080 across 3 monitors with 12 gigs worth of graphic MOD addons and I am still getting about 40 FPS in the outdoor areas.   

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy