Sign in to follow this  
FSProUK

Creating Photo Scenery with g2xpl

I've added a new video to my series "X-Plane 10 Ultra-Realism for FREE". The new video, part 3 of the series, is titled "Creating Photo Scenery with g2xpl"

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the video.  I don't understand the need to copy the zzz_uhd_global_scenery_v1 folder to the \Global Scenery folder.  Can you explain this?

Thanks for the video.  I don't understand the need to copy the zzz_uhd_global_scenery_v1 folder to the \Global Scenery folder.  Can you explain this?

Simple: g2xpl does not have (as of yet) a feature to freely configure which source folder it should use to fetch the "source-mesh". It always defaults to get it from "Global Scenery" .... So, if you want to base your photoscenery on any other mesh (HD or UHD), then you have to first overwrite the default Global Scenery files with those.

Simple: g2xpl does not have (as of yet) a feature to freely configure which source folder it should use to fetch the "source-mesh". It always defaults to get it from "Global Scenery" .... So, if you want to base your photoscenery on any other mesh (HD or UHD), then you have to first overwrite the default Global Scenery files with those.

Which makes problems when you update versions because the installer wants to overwrite any changes it finds to default files.  I have that same problem with the HD runway textures I like to use.  You can manually skip each file if you recognize the filename, but it's a pain.  You can also just let the installer overwrite the custom files and then reinstall them after the installer is finished.  A nuisance either way.

alpilotx gave the perfect answer. Referring to your later comment about updates overwriting this type of change, you're absolutely right. It is a nuisance. But that's what we've got for now and luckily, it's not too difficult to re-apply after an update.

Great tutorial!

Thanks! :)

Subscribed! :)

Thank you!

I tried a different solution in order to apply UHD mesh with my G2XPL homemade scenery for the Alps.

This is my personal process :

1) create a G2XPL scenery using the "standard" coordinate used also by SimHeaven for his ZL17 photoreal scenery no more available.

Here you can find a good graphical map to do that :

http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/Cartes.php

2) download from Simheaven site the UHDv1 Update of Photosceneries Europe Alps

http://simheaven.com/?wpfb_filepage=uhdv1_update_europe-alps_zl172-7z

3) move each single UHD DSF file into the specific folder of your X2GPL scenery folder.

It works

Ciao

Stefano

Italy