Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Milviz B55 or C310?

I'm back to clarify a mistake I made.

The B55 I bought on initial release from Milviz and I have always received the updates from Milviz via email.

The 310 I bought from flight1 and my latest installer, I was received that from Milviz support.

I'm sorry for the mistake.

As for the gns 430/530, the latest version did not work for me. I asked for help on the AVSIM Milviz forum back in April and did not receive a response. If I would have asked for help in the general forum I would have had a response in a day or two. The members here are that good.

The Milviz B55 is also that good! It's worth the additional effort to get it working perfectly. I'm looking forward to buying the Milviz King Air 350.

Thanks to the OP for creating this thread.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Cannot stand the lack of proper night lighting in the virtual cockpit of the Real Air, and while Rob is a nice person he becomes hostile when I asked him if there was a way to give us a backlighting and dome light switch separately.

I almost bought the A2A 182 even though I missed the sale, but I know I will want something faster to enjoy all the Orbx regions.

I don't recall ever being hostile to you or anyone about this. It's not how I generally treat customers. I don't know if it was you I dealt with but it is likely that I explained the lighting was designed by Sean, not by me, but I also probably directed you to him if you felt the lighting was not to your taste. I think I probably also explained that while some will say some panels are too dim others will say they are over-bright.

In fact the backlighting also lights the panel, with one switch. The more dim cabin light is there as a subtle extra. It was never intended to bathe the whole panel in a theatre of blinding light and that is because at dawn and dusk in FSX, and P3d, the sun can literally wash away the whole look of the panel if lighting is added on top. My personal view is that if a customer wants that affect I suppose he should have it. Sean, understandably is probably more concerned that his painstaking panel work is not washed out by the sun.

You can very easily create a standard FSX extra cabin light by copying and pasting an existing one from a default aircraft, the only fiddly bit being getting the strength and positioning right.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

As for the gns 430/530, the latest version did not work for me. I asked for help on the AVSIM Milviz forum back in April and did not receive a response. If I would have asked for help in the general forum I would have had a response in a day or two. The members here are that good.

Just to point out, the AVSIM forums, whether the general one or the Milviz specific one, are not the place where the Milviz products are supported by the Milviz team.  As pointed out, the place for that is the support forums on the Milviz website. 

Doesn't mean that kind-hearted & knowledgeable souls won't attempt to help you out as they see fit, it just means that support directly from Milviz for specific issues will only be found on the official support forums.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I don't recall ever being hostile to you or anyone about this. It's not how I generally treat customers. I don't know if it was you I dealt with but it is likely that I explained the lighting was designed by Sean, not by me, but I also probably directed you to him if you felt the lighting was not to your taste. I think I probably also explained that while some will say some panels are too dim others will say they are over-bright.

In fact the backlighting also lights the panel, with one switch. The more dim cabin light is there as a subtle extra. It was never intended to bathe the whole panel in a theatre of blinding light and that is because at dawn and dusk in FSX, and P3d, the sun can literally wash away the whole look of the panel if lighting is added on top. My personal view is that if a customer wants that affect I suppose he should have it. Sean, understandably is probably more concerned that his painstaking panel work is not washed out by the sun.

You can very easily create a standard FSX extra cabin light by copying and pasting an existing one from a default aircraft, the only fiddly bit being getting the strength and positioning right.

sorry I used the wrong word. You were only direct not really hostile. My issue is the backlighting is too bright. That is why I like a separate switch, one for the dome, and the other for backlight only. I enjoy the Duke but the too bright night lighting keeps me from flying it more.

I prefer the Cessna. Better frame rates and IMHO, better flight dynamics.

+1   Own them both (you have to buy a seperate, model expansion to get integrated GTN compatibility by the way), and vastly prefer the C310.    Better FDE, better sounds (vastly - check out the C310's interior switch sounds etc), and well, just nicer! ....... MUCH better FPS in my experience too.

sorry I used the wrong word. You were only direct not really hostile. My issue is the backlighting is too bright. That is why I like a separate switch, one for the dome, and the other for backlight only. I enjoy the Duke but the too bright night lighting keeps me from flying it more.

Well, now I'm confused! You say the cabin light is too dim but the backlighting is too bright. Are you using a camera effect with high contrast, or some kind of HDR lighting? If so, or if you bump up the contrast on your monitor then boost the gamma to compensate for the now over-contrasting panel face, you will likely get bright wash out. I think Sean calibrated the gauge lighting extremely carefully so that it was readable in as many lighting conditions as possible.

On two separate systems I use with neutral/calibrated monitors the backlighting looks good - neither too bright nor too dim. It's very much a matter of opinion of course, but the few emails we do get about this differ - some say too bright. Some say not bright enough. Maybe you could drop Sean an email and let him know your views.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Well, now I'm confused! You say the cabin light is too dim but the backlighting is too bright. Are you using a camera effect with high contrast, or some kind of HDR lighting? If so, or if you bump up the contrast on your monitor then boost the gamma to compensate for the now over-contrasting panel face, you will likely get bright wash out. I think Sean calibrated the gauge lighting extremely carefully so that it was readable in as many lighting conditions as possible.

On two separate systems I use with neutral/calibrated monitors the backlighting looks good - neither too bright nor too dim. It's very much a matter of opinion of course, but the few emails we do get about this differ - some say too bright. Some say not bright enough. Maybe you could drop Sean an email and let him know your views.

It is too bright to turn on just the panel light switch when flying at night. But if I need a brighter dome light for dusk situations in low light, the dome light switch only lightens up the cabin not the cockpit. I hope that make sense.

Linking only gauge backlighting to the panel switch and the dome light to brighten up the cockpit for the dome switch is my ideal setup.

Yes, but "dome" or cabin lights are not for the purpose of reading gauges. That's why cars have backlit gauges too. Shining a torch on them doesn't make the gauges more readable as the glass simply reflects back the light. You didn't say whether you are using high contrast/bloom lighting but I am guessing this is the real problem. This effect tends to double or treble the light source when everything else is dark. That is why in the view of many users, bloom or similar effects might look impressive, but in fact they create a nightmare for designers who are doing their best to adjust the lighting for typical situations.

FSX dusk and dawn lighting can also bleach out panels if the sun is behind. Backlighting alleviates this but clearly it can't completely optimise lighting for every situation. Perhaps in future we will introduce dimmers but that is quite a complex function that adds a lot to development time and costs.

A new version of the B55 has been released and now the RXP gauges work. Thank you Bill. I appreciate your prompt fix.

Jose

Yes, but "dome" or cabin lights are not for the purpose of reading gauges. That's why cars have backlit gauges too. Shining a torch on them doesn't make the gauges more readable as the glass simply reflects back the light. You didn't say whether you are using high contrast/bloom lighting but I am guessing this is the real problem. This effect tends to double or treble the light source when everything else is dark. That is why in the view of many users, bloom or similar effects might look impressive, but in fact they create a nightmare for designers who are doing their best to adjust the lighting for typical situations.

FSX dusk and dawn lighting can also bleach out panels if the sun is behind. Backlighting alleviates this but clearly it can't completely optimise lighting for every situation. Perhaps in future we will introduce dimmers but that is quite a complex function that adds a lot to development time and costs.

But if you turn on just the panel lights, the cockpit is too bright. That is why I suggested only having the gauge backlighting turn on with the panel lights, and the panel splash turn on with the dome

I see the new installer, glad they fixed the RXP issue, this weekend I can fly! Still have to edit the panel file to get crossfill and other options working. But no big deal

A new version of the B55 has been released and now the RXP gauges work. Thank you Bill. I appreciate your prompt fix.

Yes, thanks Bill.  The new version seems to work well, but... Now my turn to ask for help, as I can't seem to get the 430 popup to work.  I've tried the default panel.cfg in the RXP panel folder, substituted my old one and a bunch of other combinations and while I can get the 530 popup to work, the 430 is MIA.  I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks,

Scott

Yes, thanks Bill.  The new version seems to work well, but... Now my turn to ask for help, as I can't seem to get the 430 popup to work.  I've tried the default panel.cfg in the RXP panel folder, substituted my old one and a bunch of other combinations and while I can get the 530 popup to work, the 430 is MIA.  I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks,

Scott

I edited it with the rxp config tool

And had to adjust some of the panel lines like change the 430 line to show it is the 2nd gauge, and enable crossfill and others, I like linking the course too

here is my panel.cfg

// This Panel.cfg file created by FS Panel Studio panel editor utility - http://www.fspanelstudio.com

// Built Tuesday, May 21, 2015 at 14:39 FSPS Build:21566

// SPECIAL PANEL CONFIG FOR RXP GAUGES ONLY!!!

[Window Titles]

Window00=B55 Preflight

Window01=GPS

Window02=Reality XP GNS 530 WAAS - RXP_CONFIG_TOOL - DO NOT CHANGE

Window03=Reality XP GNS 430 WAAS 2 - RXP_CONFIG_TOOL - DO NOT CHANGE

Window04=Reality XP DropStack

[VIEWS]

VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,THROTTLE_PANEL,GPS_PANEL

VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=10.000, 0.000, 0.000

//--------------------------------------------------------

[Window00]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=500,243

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=0

visible=0

ident=70

window_size= 0.400, 0.324

window_pos= 0.000, 0.040

gauge00=B55_XMLGauges!B55_Preflight, 0,0,500,243

[Window01]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=1280,650

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=2

visible=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

window_size= 0.710, 0.552

window_pos= 0.290, 0.480

gauge00=rxpGNS!GNS430_2, 640,0,640,268

gauge01=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_KR 87 ADF, 640,268,640,134

gauge02=rxpGNS!GNS530, 0,0,640,468

gauge03=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_KAP140, 640,402,640,163

gauge04=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_GTX330, 0,468,640,170

[Window02]

window_pos=0.739583,0.000000

window_size=0.260417,0.333333

visible=1

ident=15531

zorder=99

gauge00=rxpGNS!GNS530,0,0,100,100

[Window03]

window_pos=0.739583,0.194444

window_size=0.260417,0.194444

visible=1

ident=15432

zorder=99

gauge00=rxpGNS!GNS430_2,0,0,100,100

[Window04]

position=0

window_size=0.041667,0.027778

visible=1

ident=15000

zorder=100

gauge00=rxpDrop!Stack,0,0,100,100

[Vcockpit01]

file=C310_VC_01.bmp

size_mm=1024,1024

visible=0

pixel_size=1024,1024

texture=$C310_VC_01

gauge00=Milviz_Sound!FBGS_XMLSound, 0,0,1,1,SimObjects\\Airplanes\\Beech_Baron_B55 Milviz\\panel\\B55 XML SND#22

gauge02=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_KAP140, 0,767,640,163

gauge03=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_KR 87 ADF, 0,630,640,134

gauge04=B55_XMLGauges!C310_DME, 649,32,300,150

gauge05=B55_XMLGauges!B55_Preflight, 0,0,1,1

[Vcockpit02]

file=C310_VC_02.bmp

size_mm=512,512

visible=0

pixel_size=1024,1024

texture=$C310_VC_02

gauge00=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_GTX330, 0,376,512,136

[Vcockpit03]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=1024,1024

visible=0

pixel_size=1024,1024

texture=$C310_VC_03

gauge00=rxpGNS!GNS430_2, 0,10,1024,433

[Vcockpit04]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=512,512

visible=0

pixel_size=1024,1024

texture=$C310_VC_04

gauge01=rxpGNS!GNS530, 0,8,512,384

[Vcockpit05]

file=C310_VC_01_FR.bmp

size_mm=1024,1024

visible=0

pixel_size=1024,1024

texture=$C310_VC_05

gauge00=Milviz_Sound!FBGS_XMLSound, 0,0,1,1,SimObjects\\Airplanes\\Beech_Baron_B55 Milviz\\panel\\B55 XML SND#22

gauge01=B55_XMLGauges!BK_AudioPanel, 0,0,640,128

gauge02=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_GTX330, 0,571,640,136

[Vcockpit06]

file=C310_VC_02_FR.bmp

size_mm=512,512

visible=0

pixel_size=1024,1024

texture=$C310_VC_06

gauge00=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_KAP140, 0,106,512,131

gauge01=B55_XMLGauges!FBS_KR 87 ADF, 0,0,512,106

Day=255,255,255

Night=85,85,85

Luminous=140,140,140

[Default View]

X=0

Y=0

SIZE_X=8192

SIZE_Y=3384

and my other rxp files

RXPSTACK.INI goes in the rxp panel folder (note you have to edit the aircraft.cfg file so each repaint entry says panel=RXP not panel=

[DropStack]

Icon00=Reality XP GNS 530 WAAS Unit 1

Icon01=Reality XP GNS 430 WAAS Unit 2

Icon02=Reality XP GNS

[icon00]

file=GNS530

ident=15531

name=RXP_CONFIG_TOOL - DO NOT CHANGE

[icon01]

file=GNS430

ident=15432

[icon02]

file=GTX327

ident=0

hidden=On

and in the main milviz b55 folder RXPGNS.INI

[GNS530]

LinkGPS=On

Popup=15531

AutoPilotMode=2

Radios=1

LinkCdiKey=On

AutoApproach=On

LinkVor=1

LcdStyle=Off

AutoWidth=500

AutoHeight=570

Trainer=

NoKeyClick=Off

DisableRxTx=Off

AutoPowerOn=Off

AutoRadiosoff=On

GndSpdFromDeltaLatLon=Off

AutoCourse=On

LinkObs=On

ShadinFuel=Off

RadioSyncMode=Full

Brightness=-1.000000

CrossFill=On

TCAD=Off

Taws=On

TawsVolume=60

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_NEG_CLIMB_RATE=0

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_IMMINENT_OBST_IMPACT_CAUT=0

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_REDUCED_OBST_CLEARANCE_CAUT=0

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_IMMINENT_TERR_IMPACT_CAUT=0

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_REDUCED_TERR_CLEARANCE_CAUT=0

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_IMMINENT_OBST_IMPACT_WRNG=0

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_REDUCED_OBST_CLEARANCE_WRNG=0

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_IMMINENT_TERR_IMPACT_WRNG=0

TAWS_ALRT_TYPE_REDUCED_TERR_CLEARANCE_WRNG=0

CPU=0

HardwareDevice=Off

HardwareIdx=0

AutoCdiMode=0

FuelType=0

[GNS430]

Popup=15431

AutoPilotMode=0

Radios=2

LinkCdiKey=Off

AutoCdiMode=0

AutoApproach=On

LinkVor=2

LcdStyle=Off

AutoWidth=500

AutoHeight=570

Trainer=

NoKeyClick=Off

DisableRxTx=Off

AutoPowerOn=Off

AutoCourse=On

LinkObs=On

ShadinFuel=Off

RadioSyncMode=Full

Brightness=-1.000000

CrossFill=On

TCAD=Off

Taws=On

TawsVolume=60

CPU=0

HardwareDevice=Off

HardwareIdx=0

AutoRadiosOff=On

FuelType=0

[sETTINGS]

Dimmer=Off

SimpleMouse=Off

KeyOnFocus=On

[GNS430_2]

Popup=15432

AutoPilotMode=2

Radios=2

LinkCdiKey=On

AutoCdiMode=0

AutoApproach=Off

LinkVor=2

LcdStyle=Off

AutoWidth=500

AutoHeight=210

Trainer=

NoKeyClick=Off

DisableRxTx=Off

AutoPowerOn=Off

AutoRadiosOff=On

AutoCourse=Off

LinkObs=On

ShadinFuel=Off

RadioSyncMode=Full

Brightness=-1.000000

CrossFill=On

TCAD=Off

FuelType=0

Taws=On

TawsVolume=60

CPU=0

HardwareDevice=Off

HardwareIdx=0

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

Are you having any issues with the fuel flow gauge? Mine is not working with the latest installer.

Jose

I edited it with the rxp config tool

And had to adjust some of the panel lines like change the 430 line to show it is the 2nd gauge, and enable crossfill and others, I like linking the course too

FYI, you can use the config tool to do all of those things as well (define the 430 as 2nd, enable crossfill and all of that).  Make sure you check both GNS #1 and GNS#2, then be sure you select the GNS 530 under GNS #1 and the 430 under GNS #2, then edit the individual settings using the tabs.

As for the rest, thanks for sharing your config, but in my case I'm afraid there's something else in play here.  Everything appears to work fine, I just can't get the 430 popup to function.  I don't even get the magnifying glass to appear when I hover over it.  I'll get it figured out eventually, I'm sure - in the meantime not a huge deal as I don't pop the second GPS that often.

Are you having any issues with the fuel flow gauge? Mine is not working with the latest installer.

Jose, I've not actually tried to fly it yet, but I did a quick start and runup and the fuel flow gauge is working.  I think it reads high, but as I recall I've always seen that.

Scott

Jose, I've not actually tried to fly it yet, but I did a quick start and runup and the fuel flow gauge is working.  I think it reads high, but as I recall I've always seen that.

Scott

There's an old thread in the Milviz forum that does a good job explaining the problem with the fuel gauge.

The older installer was working great, except that the lights in the gauges did not work. It did not affect the lighting at night. Only during a dusk setting.

This is not a big deal. I just re-installed the older version until this new one is fixed.

BTW: The RXP issue with the new installer was something I pointed out a months ago in this thread:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/467225-b55-with-reality-xp-gns-530-430/

I did not get any help because I did not post this in the Milviz forum. I'm trying to get access to their forums to post my request for help.

Jose