Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Weather radar test (stupid question)

I did read somewhere that some pilots don't enable A/T until they hit the run away incase they accidentally hit the button. Seams good practice to me, I always stick to that in the sim. When I was inside a real simulator, I did think it could be possible you hit the TOGO button with your elbow. It's listed under the Before Takeoff Checklist I have from BAVirtual

What about the rest of the PF before start procedure?

Yeh that seems good practise!

Vernon Howells

LNAV, you can arm it any time after you have the route programmed in the FMC.  A/T, we arm it at the gate prior to running the before start checklist.

Stuff like this is all technique.  As long as everything is accomplished by the appropriate time you can do it whatever way you want.

I did think it could be possible you hit the TOGO button with your elbow.

If you can do that you are way more flexible than I am.  The TOGA buttons hide under the knobs on the thrust levers, it would be almost impossible to hit them with your elbow.

So once you get the loadsheet you then do the performance calculations and input V2, stab trim, TO CG etc ?

So LNAV VNAV once you know what you're doing !

Vernon Howells

Also do you brief the general instructions you get with airports?

Vernon Howells

If you can do that you are way more flexible than I am.  The TOGA buttons hide under the knobs on the thrust levers, it would be almost impossible to hit them with your elbow.

On the simulator I used they where on the side of the throttles, so you could hit it  with your number. Hmm but now I think about it, maybe that was the auto throttle disengage button. Was a few years ago now. However, I am sure I from someone that a reason was because there no was risk of accidental enablement (I think I made up a word there)

Edit: just checked on the NGX and I am wrong. Memory is showing signs of age

Reminds me of that old book Airframe and their attempts at "accidentally" knocking the slat lever out of position.

Kyle Rodgers

Since we're on the topic of procedures and Wx radar, allow me to quickly hijack the thread and ask a quesiton of my own. 

I still haven't found a single RW before takeoff checklist that reminds the crew to turn on Wx radar. Shouldn't it be there or is it a non-essential item that doens't merit its own place on a checklist?

I think even more importanly would be a "Wx radar...........OFF" on the taxi-in checklist. I thought the emission from the Wx radar was rather harmful to ground personnel. 

I have a BA checklist that puts the line under Before Takeoff Checklist, and also a Ryan Air checklist that must it between Taxi and Hold Short. However, very difficult to know how accurate the Ryan Air one is. BA one I'm told is pretty accurate

However, very difficult to know how accurate the Ryan Air one is.
Is Ryan Air known for using checklists that are not correct or flight crews don't follow the checklists?

Is Ryan Air known for using checklists that are not correct or flight crews don't follow the checklists?

I think he was referring to the authenticity of his copy.

I could write my own and slap Pan Am on it, but it doesn't mean that it was an authentic Pan Am checklist from back in the day.

Kyle Rodgers

I still haven't found a single RW before takeoff checklist that reminds the crew to turn on Wx radar. Shouldn't it be there or is it a non-essential item that doens't merit its own place on a checklist?

I would put this in the "basic airmanship" category.  If there is weather in the area you are departing into it's common sense to turn the radar on.  You shouldn't need a checklist item to remind you to do it.

Can't say I agree with that Joe, otherwise why do we have check-lists regarding anything obvious in the first place?

I see where he's coming from. You don't necessarily need the thing on if it's beautiful from here to Nantucket. If you see weather that might need to be painted, then you turn it on.

From there, one could certainly add a checklist item to verify off during the after landing checklist (which I recall seeing somewhere).

I do see your reasoning for putting it on there, but I also see Joe's point of it not being fully necessary if you only turn the radar on when you think it's necessary and turn it off when you see that it's not.

Kyle Rodgers

Can't say I agree with that Joe, otherwise why do we have check-lists regarding anything obvious in the first place? I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of the very public reason why checklists came about in the first place... :)

http://www.ww2hc.org/emailarchives/2011/checklistorigin.htm

There isn't a specific checklist item that tells us to actually start the engines, but yet somehow we manage to remember to do so.

Use common sense.  Professionals know how to do their job, they don't need to be micro-managed down to the line item.

Checklists are for procedural items, not technique.