Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

WIndows 10...will i have o reinstall everything if i upgrade?

Hello,

I have a question. At the moment I have installed Win10 latest build (10162 I suppose). Will I be able to update from this build to the official version which will be realased at the end of July or I will be forced to make a clean install? 

Thank you :)

Hey Guys,

If I upgrade to Windows 10 do I need new motherboard drivers etc ?

I have a Sabretooth Z87 

Dave

most drives will be installed for you in windows 10, the z87 will be fine with the upgrade.as far as a fresh install from the upgrade, yes you will have the option during the install process if you want to do a clean install.i am on the latest windows 10 build 10166 for windows insiders.there is a newer build 10176 but hasnt been released to us for testing. keep in mind windows 10 will be the last windows os to be released.any future updates will be like a rolling release,so no windows 10.1 .2 ect.. things will just change through windows update over time.so i am not sure how thats planned to be worked out.for me windows 10 has been the most stable os to date for me on 10166.july 29th is the release date.

Hey Guys,

If I upgrade to Windows 10 do I need new motherboard drivers etc ?

I have a Sabretooth Z87 

Dave

Windows Updates in Windows 10 is automatic (with no option to turn off). It will automatically install drivers for you regardless if you want them.

If i go ahead and install preview what will happen when full version comes out end of month will another full install be required or can you upgrade from the preview

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

If i go ahead and install preview what will happen when full version comes out end of month will another full install be required or can you upgrade from the preview

You can upgrade from the preview to the final build.

the latest build 10166, in my experience is 100% stable to use everyday, with build 10176 floating around out there, i am sure another build will be out soon, probably early this week.the good thing about preview builds, you can upgrade through each build and keep all your installed software, and it all works. the only issue is you will need to reactivate some of your flight sim addons,pmdg,fsdreamteam ect..

Windows Updates in Windows 10 is automatic (with no option to turn off). It will automatically install drivers for you regardless if you want them.

Diego's answer is partially correct. 

If you will be upgrading to Windows 10 Home (you currently have a genuine version of Windows 7 Home Premium or standard Windows 8.1) then, as Diego states, you will receive all Windows Updates automatically, whether you want them or not.  Other than shutting down the Windows Update service, you will get all these updates.  And, if you shut down Windows Update, Microsoft will certainly know and you might likely be flagged... but this is just speculation.

If you're upgrading to Windows 10 Pro (you currently have Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro) you can defer all updates for an extended period of time, but NOT indefinitely.  Although I've not found anything definitive yet, I have heard you can defer for many months, maybe as long as 8 months.  That is certainly plenty of time to find out through the interwebs if the updates break anything of significance to you. 

Of course I share the concern that an automatic update to my display drivers (primarily) can have a negative effect on my simming experience.  I am hopeful that deferring for several months will allow sufficient time to find out if the update will be a problem or not.  I will be going to Windows 10 Pro anyway (since I'm currently on a Windows 8.1 Pro machine updated to Windows Insider B10162), so the new Windows Update policy should not be much of a concern for me.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

in the months i have been using windows 10,i have wiped the windows update nvidia drivers, with older and newer drivers,and windows 10 has never tried to over ride what i have installed,seems like the only updates that do come through is windows defender updates.

in the months i have been using windows 10,i have wiped the windows update nvidia drivers, with older and newer drivers,and windows 10 has never tried to over ride what i have installed,seems like the only updates that do come through is windows defender updates.

Yea, it seems that way since display drivers don't update that often.  But Windows Update wiped out an older NVIDIA driver install (one with working PAPI lights in P3D) with a later version overnight and broke the PAPI lights.  That was my first clue that I need to pay more attention to this.  But, there's certainly time for more changes, and until GA on 29 July, we won't know for absolute certainty how the final Windows Update service will perform.  But, it's likely the latest preview builds (10162 & 10166) are release candidate worthy and very close to the final product.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Yea, it seems that way since display drivers don't update that often.  But Windows Update wiped out an older NVIDIA driver install (one with working PAPI lights in P3D) with a later version overnight and broke the PAPI lights.  That was my first clue that I need to pay more attention to this.  But, there's certainly time for more changes, and until GA on 29 July, we won't know for absolute certainty how the final Windows Update service will perform.  But, it's likely the latest preview builds (10162 & 10166) are release candidate worthy and very close to the final product.

I have a feeling that MS might try the preview build/updates like they do with W10 and Xbox One before they send out updates to GA. The fast ring gets the updates first and tells them of any bugs, the slow ring gets it second and details anymore bugs they find, and the GA gets it last with hopefully no bugs found it the update.This method worked for the Xbox One/mobile audience(WP8.1/W10Mobile), and while I am still a bit skeptical due to the vast array of devices, maybe it will work with the W10 audience as well.

Since every Windows version since XP has required authentication, if you install the "free" version of Windows 10, will you be able to go back and reinstall Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 from your disk if you find that Windows 10 is not all it is cracked up to be?  Just thinking, since you have authenticate to reinstall and the computer will be "marked" for Windows 10 or the "Key" deactivated.

John

John Wingold

If the option is available I would do a clean install. especially on 7.  here is why: you have been using 7 for several years things get added and deleted registries get written and rewritten. Stuff get allocated to weird parts of the HD,  adware and spyware slip through the cracks. The 50 drivers for that crappy webcam you uninstalled 6 months ago, are still taking up space. Do a clean install it will make your computer happy and it will make you happy.

Ah jeez. that would kill me...they'd have to slip food under the Den door, for about two months...I just reserved my copy...but in NO WAY, want to reinstall. In fact...who knows where absolutely everything is,even!  I might have to rethink this....hmmm....  W7 is working very well in situ.   A clean install?  Sends shivers down my spine...

Ses