Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

I have to ask what is Microsoft idea behind not allowing users to control updates in Windows 10?

You can disable driver updates in Windows 10 by doing the following:

1.Right click Start button and click "System".

2.Click "Advanced System Settings" on the left pane.

3.Go to the "Hardware" tab and click "Device Installation Settings"

4.Tick the "No, let me choose what to do" setting and then click the "Never install driver software from Windows Update." and untick the "Automatically get device app and info provided by your device manufacturer" box.

Here is a image of what it is suppose to look like when you are done:

18274d1430590254-refuse-driver-updates-w

4.Tick the "No, let me choose what to do" setting and then click the "Never install driver software from Windows Update." and untick the "Automatically get device app and info provided by your device manufacturer" box.

I saw this yesterday, and I believe that may solve this issue.

However, what if this impedes USB drives from installing correctly the first time you plug it in? What "drivers" is this setting talking about, drivers for hardware in the system or plug and play devices?

This should be pinned - nice find to me so far looks like it will act just like windows 7 did

Rich Sennett

Well, there goes the ol' "Windows 10 is going to force you to update every single driver" conspiracy theory.

BTW, all these very same options have been available since Win 7 and the screen almost looks identical.

Well, there goes the ol' "Windows 10 is going to force you to update every single driver" conspiracy theory.

BTW, all these very same options have been available since Win 7 and the screen almost looks identical.

I admit this is much better, but I still haven't had the chance to test it out. 

I'm wondering if by disabling the setting via this "Device Installation Settings" thing, will it disable this, whenever you plug in anything USB?

12286-1.jpg

XALqJ.png

This should be pinned - nice find to me so far looks like it will act just like windows 7 did

Well not really EXACTLY like W7... W7 used to put driver updates in the "Optional updates" section.

I'm wondering if by disabling the setting via this "Device Installation Settings" thing, will it disable this, whenever you plug in anything USB?

No. The window you are showing is when Windows does not have a specific Name driver such as Nexus One. You might not want to make a point by using a shot from 2009. Much has changed since then in Windows.

No. The window you are showing is when Windows does not have a specific Name driver such as Nexus One. You might not want to make a point by using a shot from 2009. Much has changed since then in Windows.

What are you talking about?

I'm just showing you what the window looks like. Whenever you plug in a USB flash drive, that appears and it will try to get drivers from Windows Updates.

I am wondering if the setting that someone mentioned above affects this process, since technically all drivers come from Windows Updates.

No it doesn't. It tries to get drivers from the driver sets that were included with Windows.

If your thinking was the case, a computer that was not connected to the Internet would never be able to use a USB drive.

No it doesn't. It tries to get drivers from the driver sets that were included with Windows.

If your thinking was the case, a computer that was not connected to the Internet would never be able to use a USB drive.

Hm. I guess you're right. We will see...

Well, I guess we were all wrong about this.

I tested it myself and it looks like WU will download drivers regardless of the "Device Installation Settings". A lot of people are having this issue too:

LkYd41O.pngdrivers.jpg

Windows has included a set of drivers that are generic to try and fit as many devices as possible, I forgot the name MS uses for these. But essentially, it means you can connect a printer and use it without installing the manufactures drivers. You might not have full functionality but it will work. These where greatly improved in Windows 8, I imagine again in W10.

So when you connect a device, phone, printer, web cam etc, Windows will try and use one of these drivers. If it doesn't have anything, it will connect to Windows Update to see if that has anything that will work, and finally if not, it will ask you to provide the drivers. But you'll find in this day and age most things will work without manufactures drivers because Windows has something it can use.

Is it actually confirmed that "forced updates" actually contains drivers?

This does not stop windows updates - it will do it anyway as I found out few days ago - it wasnt drivers it was security updates so this switch is not the complete answer - maybe non microsoft updates are passed by but not OS updates

Cool find - hope it works - thanks

Rich Sennett

This is only for W10 Pro (because of the GPE), and in my findings, it doesn't work. Maybe because it's still a beta, I don't know.

Is it actually confirmed that "forced updates" actually contains drivers?

Did you not see my pictures above?

This does not stop windows updates - it will do it anyway as I found out few days ago - it wasnt drivers it was security updates so this switch is not the complete answer - maybe non microsoft updates are passed by but not OS updates

Nobody is talking about how to disable security updates. Everyone wants to disable driver updates. My pictures above are just to show that the setting doesn't work.

Got yah so far no driver updates have been pushed thru so thats good

Rich Sennett