Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

I have to ask what is Microsoft idea behind not allowing users to control updates in Windows 10?

my bad I was going off the specifications and MS said "Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available." So I assumed (and you know what that makes) that the lowest setting for updates was download and let me chose what to install. That is pretty ***** for MS to do. They better step up their update quality control  A LOT! if they think this is going to work. They also better have some excellent documentation ( something seriously lacking at Microsoft) telling users what the update actually does.

my bad I was going off the specifications and MS said "Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available." So I assumed (and you know what that makes) that the lowest setting for updates was download and let me chose what to install. That is pretty ***** for MS to do. They better step up their update quality control A LOT! if they think this is going to work. They also better have some excellent documentation ( something seriously lacking at Microsoft) telling users what the update actually does.

Yup.

I will just reiterate why I don't like this:

I have no problems with "Recommended" security updates installing automatically.

However, I DO have a problem with (what used to be in W7) "optional" updates. I don't like Windows Updates managing my display drivers, among other things.

This picture is from W7, and it shows you what normally goes on "Optional" updates sections: windows-updates-optional-june-2015.jpg

Everything you see above would be installed automatically by WU on W10 Home. I don't like this.

Edited by linux731

I don't know anyone who uses Silverlight. Most people usually have Flash installed, but recently, even Flash is being replaced by HTML5.

I use Silverlight 5 ... it's a considerably better technology than HTML5.  Silverlight 5's in OOB mode meets our client needs perfectly, no confusing Back/Forward buttons, no endless browser configuration options to adjust that can completely screw up a browser's functionality, removes all the browser clutter (menu bar, address bar etc. etc.), no states to worry about, extremely secure, access to local resources (beyond sandbox) on user approval.  Full MVVM support with data binding and notification.

From a developer and end user stand point Silverlight 5 is/was the best solution to deploy applications across multiple platforms - it was a win win for everyone, and that's exactly why Apple said NO to "plug-ins" and/or prevented Microsoft to provide browser "inclusive, part of browser not a plugin" to Apple ... Apple saw Silverlight as a HUGE threat ... so Microsoft collapsed and abandoned Silverlight.  That's the real world of web development, large companies playing a game of market share on each other, developers stuck in the middle, end users wondering why so much doesn't work and what does work is very limited in scope.

Button line is HTML5 can't do what Silverlight does at several levels including at a performance level.

But "sandbox" wins the days so it's either back to deployed windows applications or provide limited functionality via HTML5 and come up with other ways (separate applications) to access local resources.  HTML5 is definitely a step backwards compared to what Silverlight 5 can accomplish.

Don't get me started on Microsoft's stupidity around dropping Silverlight ... one of the few times Microsoft development team actually publicly posted a ###### message with the F bomb just prior to much of the team leaving Microsoft.

And yes I can give you a million legitimate reasons why web applications (like Silverlight 5) need to access local resources outside of the Sandbox.  It's a bizarre web world of paranoia, fear, and poor decision making.

If you want a side by side compare of HTML5 to Silverlight 5 ... I'd be happy to comply ... including some of the things HTML5 can't do.

Cheers, Rob.

I saw some nice SilverLight sites.  It looks like it is going to take a backseat to the MS UA platform however.

Also,  I'm not sure if I would (or could) compare HTML5 to SilverLight.  2 different animals IMO.  But yea - it would be a big improvement in site creation given you can use Blend and VS.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Hi Jim,

Microsoft killed Silverlight late 2011 early 2012 and have been systematically leaving it out in the cold, they committed to 10 years of support, but clearly that's really going to be more like 2-3 years tops.

Silverlight "was" fantastic, best of everything for a web application (easy central deployment) that didn't look like or operate like existing clunky and very slow web applications, much more secure than an HTML5 web page.  It was nicely isolated and insulated the user from the Browser.  With elevated privileges and code signing cert from a good CA -- no hassle and no fear for users with a tiny plugin that installs once.  Silverlight also works on OSX.

As far as MS UA ... I honestly just don't care any more.  I'm transitioning myself out of UI web development ... let someone else deal with the "flavor" of the day UI technology and play the "who's on first shuffle".  I'm sticking with web services, DB back ends, and deployed applications (be in Windows, OSX, iOS, Android) -- I've just had enough of the web UI world.

Cheers, Rob.

I just found a workaround for the Windows Updates issue. This article talks all about it: (Yes, this is an old article about an old build of W10... You can tell by the appearance of some of the screenshots. However, the workaround still functions): www.4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/ 

Apparently, using the Group Policy editor, it is possible to bring back the traditional update options.

I tested it on my W10 tester machine and it seems like it worked. I am on the latest build.: 

This is the Group Policy editor setting, found under Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update:

post-254482-0-34143500-1436335916.png

These are the 4 options you have. They are a lot similar to the classic settings in W8.1/7/Vista:

post-254482-0-86140800-1436335918.png

Windows Updates no longer says "Updated will be downloaded and installed automatically":

post-254482-0-31561200-1436335922.png

This is what the "Advanced Options" menu looks like. As you can see, you can't change the settings directly from Windows Updates. You have to use the Group Policy editor:

post-254482-0-09638400-1436335924.png

I haven't gotten the chance to test this out yet because... well... I'm on the latest build with all updates installed.

Problem there is I don't think you will have gpe available on the home version.

I still don't believe it will just install all updates with no warning or notice.

Is there any evidence for this or is it more scaremongering/MS bashing by the Internet and supposedly 'expert' bloggers generating click bait for their sites?

Even ios isn't forced on you no questions asked and apple are the worst for closed systems.

Chris

My Netflix tells me it uses Silverlight.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The betas need updates so the test will work properly.  I would not worry as even the Beta 10162 will stop automatic updates if you require.  

Beta 10162 will stop automatic updates if you require.  

This is not true. Care to screenshot this? 

Problem there is I don't think you will have gpe available on the home version.

I still don't believe it will just install all updates with no warning or notice.

Is there any evidence for this or is it more scaremongering/MS bashing by the Internet and supposedly 'expert' bloggers generating click bait for their sites?

Even ios isn't forced on you no questions asked and apple are the worst for closed systems.

Chris

Ah, you're right. I forgot about that. 

Yes, it's true: http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

I don't use the home version,  I use Pro and frankly expect Microsoft to allow users to defer updates on all versions or schedule for a convenient time.  Why would you not update your software anyway?  Thats like using old Navigation charts.

I use Pro and frankly expect Microsoft to allow users to defer updates on all versions or schedule for a convenient time.  

You will be disappointed then.

Why would you not update your software anyway?  Thats like using old Navigation charts.

I never said I don't want to update my software.

I'm completely fine if Windows Updates wants to install updates for Windows automatically (security updates, patches, etc.).

However, I do NOT want Windows Updates updating my yoke drivers, my graphics card drivers, my sound drivers, etc.