Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

I have to ask what is Microsoft idea behind not allowing users to control updates in Windows 10?

heard a rumour that whilst Windows 10 may well be free to upgrade after a while you will be charged a regular fee to update

That's my understanding also, 1st year is free for Win10 ... updates after that 1st year will require a subscription.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-goes-public-with-more-details-on-its-windows-10-rollout-plan/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

As I understand it, Win10 will continue working if you don't pay the subscription fee after the year is up, you just don't get any more updates.  But if you decide NOT to pay the subscription, you could be left with newer applications that may require a specific "level" (version update) of Win10 before installing and this could be a problem for those that don't want to do the subscription route.

My personal opinion of the subscription process ... that's they only way software development can survive (in the "retail" world) ... the only other option is sponsors/advertiser funding software development.  

Cheers, Rob.

That's my understanding also, 1st year is free for Win10 ... updates after that 1st year will require a subscription.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-goes-public-with-more-details-on-its-windows-10-rollout-plan/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

As I understand it, Win10 will continue working if you don't pay the subscription fee after the year is up, you just don't get any more updates.  But if you decide NOT to pay the subscription, you could be left with newer applications that may require a specific "level" (version update) of Win10 before installing and this could be a problem for those that don't want to do the subscription route.

My personal opinion of the subscription process ... that's they only way software development can survive (in the "retail" world) ... the only other option is sponsors/advertiser funding software development.  

Cheers, Rob.

Wait, what????

MS has already declared that W10 will NOT be a subscription like their failure, Office 365.

https://twitter.com/OjJanne/status/606721723074002944

Wait, what????

I read the same thing from ceo - no subscription period - I dont think many would opt for that and they will shoot themselves in the foot - I can see selling it like they always have in boxed format but subscription doubt it

Rich Sennett

Anyone with a Genuine version of Windows 7 SP1 /8.1 qualifies for a free upgrade to Windows 10 during the first year after Win10 goes GA on 29 July.  For those individuals there will never be a charge for Windows 10 updates as long as they continue to use Windows 10 on that PC for that PC's lifetime.  There is no subscription service for updates.

Here are Terry Myerson's words on the subject (2nd paragraph) from a Microsoft blog post on 15 May.

If a person who has a PC with a Genuine version of Windows 7 SP1 / 8.1 declines to take the free upgrade during the first year after GA, they will have to purchase a boxed or downloaded version in order to upgrade to Windows 10.  After they do the upgrade, all updates for Windows 10 on that PC will be free... no subscription.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If a person who has a PC with a Genuine version of Windows 7 SP1 / 8.1 declines to take the free upgrade during the first year after GA, they will have to purchase a boxed or downloaded version in order to upgrade to Windows 10.  After they do the upgrade, all updates for Windows 10 on that PC will be free... no subscription.

This is correct.

Years a log time surprised they give you that much time

Rich Sennett

I've read multiple reports with very different interpretations of how Microsoft plan to move users to a subscription OS.  Belfiore has indicated they are "working out the kinks" ... if I didn't know better Microsoft seem to be tossing out information "clarifications" (which really aren't) in an attempt to gauge reaction.  Numerous Microsoft individuals/execs are being quoted with information that seem diametrically opposite.

It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

FYI, I'm already on the Microsoft subscription plan via MSDN Ultimate which has proven to be a BIG revenue stream for Microsoft but it doesn't fall into the Operating system bucket and isn't realize by those financials.

Cheers, Rob.

Given the available information it seems that MS will give a free copy of Windows 10 and free updates if you already have a valid copy of Windows for the life time of THAT computer.  It seems to me that MS will start charging for updates should you change that PC or perhaps any major component.

Does P3D work on Linux?

Ian R Tyldesley

...you change that PC or perhaps any major component.

That's what Microsoft has always done on OEM versions of Windows installed by computer manufacturers.

Does P3D work on Linux?

No it does not.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No it does not.

Yeah i guessed...i was being sarcastic.  I did once attempt to get FSX working under WINE, it wasn't a complete failure, but not usable.

Ian R Tyldesley

Does P3D work on Linux?[

...i was being sarcastic.

How  were we supposed to know?

Given the available information it seems that MS will give a free copy of Windows 10 and free updates if you already have a valid copy of Windows for the life time of THAT computer.

Not just valid copies. Free to pirated copies as well.

Dick

Not just valid copies. Free to pirated copies as well.

Dick

Yes, Dick, but not the full story.  Microsoft will allow non-Genuine (pirated) copies of Windows 7/8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10, but the result will be a non-Genuine copy of Windows 10 which will not be supported.  To become Genuine, you will still need to purchase a license.

Here's a good article from Paul Thurrott that quotes Microsoft's Terry Myerson.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64