Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

I have to ask what is Microsoft idea behind not allowing users to control updates in Windows 10?

Interesting so now MS is going to add a watermark to let the "user" know it's pirated?  Personally I preferred their other anti-piracy process, highly more effective and in some cases amusing to see pirates posting about their issue.

Cheers, Rob.

With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mis-licensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mis-licensed after the upgrade.

This means you cannot call MS on the phone to straighten out a problem with your installation of the non-genuine Windows 10, or rely on other services Microsoft may offer as support.

This does not mean it will not be updated (or auto-updated), as that is the whole point of the mass upgrade to Windows 10... to eliminate the spread of viruses and malware, while lessening the burden on Microsoft supporting older versions of the OS. They state they will not support, but do not say they will prevent security updates of pirated copies, or updates of .Net or DirectX, or bug fixes to the OS, or new versions of internet browsers...

My guess is for 99% of pirated users, their interaction with MS will be identical to genuine users. Microsoft is not playing the pirate-hunting game, or the endless cycle of defeating non-genuine copies. They are trying to cut their investment in maintaining the operating system. And this is a very smart move.

Dick

Interesting so now MS is going to add a watermark to let the "user" know it's pirated?

Microsoft have always known if Windows is pirated.

Microsoft have always known if Windows is pirated.

I believe the "genuine check" was introduce in WinXP onwards .... with prior versions of Windows Microsoft had no "method" to detect pirated version(s).  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

It has always done more than just display a message ... although I've never seen this message myself, I am surprised Microsoft would "notify" the users and continue to do so in Windows 10 ... I guess in the hope the "pirate" will buy a legitimate license?

Microsoft is not playing the pirate-hunting game, or the endless cycle of defeating non-genuine copies.

My understanding is they have stepped that "game" up in Windows 10 (105 million pirated copies of WinXP at $100 per copy = 10.5 Billion in potential revenue - just for WinXP).  Win10 is the stepping stone to "Windows Subscription" which most definitely will be stepping up the anti-piracy.  Interesting choice of word "hunt" ... it's not a "hunt" it's "protection", that protection will disable some OS functionality.

Cheers, Rob.

For MS, it's better users are running a version that has their latest security updates and practices, thus less bad news. It's better press. W8 and W10 have far better security development practices then XP. Thus less users have security problems with their OS, and so, less bad press. Makes perfect sense.

They are trying to get rid of the years of yesteryear of "Microsoft is bad for security" because in this day and age, the security of Windows is far better then other offerings. They learnt the hard way, and in the process invented the development practice of a secure development lifecycle that other companies and developers use

I believe the "genuine check" was introduce in WinXP onwards .... with prior versions of Windows Microsoft had no "method" to detect pirated version(s).

I believe Microsoft could check piracy before the "genuine check" was introduced.

Well, it's more difficult then that. For example, someone is pirating from a volume license. Technically, under a volume license, you're employees could be anywhere

I said Microsoft could do it - what use Microsoft makes of it is an other matter. 

The holder of the Volume Licence is responsible regardless and can have his licence suspended..

Could?

How?

As some that deals with volume licensing...how. Do you know how ridiculous MS licensing is? Or even Oracle? Oracle is an effing nightmare. Both are a midfield. You could be breaking both, yet legitimately paying them.

I've worked for big companies in London where Adobe came in, worked out the licensing and told them to make up the difference. They where out for YEARS. It took Adobe to come in and know that. They had no clue before

You may think Microsoft, Oracle, Adobe licencing is a nightmare. ...

Never found Adobe that bad, but Oracle and MS are notorious through various products for how confusing their licensing model is.

But yes, I think that

MS has obviously got to be responsible to their shareholders, as seen when they dumped/stopped & closed their Gaming Studio.

This accountability to shareholders mantra continues to be the source of the worst corporate decisions.

spacer.png

for those of you still concerned about windows update. In Beta we have to install updates. Hey it is beta and they want to test everything and make sure we are on the same page. Came home last week and my 10 machine shut down and I had a new splash screen and login. Found out I got a new build. That is how things work. As for Home users, as far as I can tell the updates will automatically be downloaded but you don't have to install them right away. Pro and enterprise are used in business environments, most IT admin worth anything will install the update in a test environment first then deploy across the network, so they wanted to give that don't download flexibility back.  Windows has always recommended setting updates to automatic and that scares the hell out of me. Computer lock outs, outlook failure etc. But as for downloading the update and letting me look at it and chose, is what I think Home users will have as their highest control. Instead of what we have now, "let me chose which updates to download". Hope this isn't too confusing.

for those of you still concerned about windows update. In Beta we have to install updates. Hey it is beta and they want to test everything and make sure we are on the same page. Came home last week and my 10 machine shut down and I had a new splash screen and login. Found out I got a new build. That is how things work. As for Home users, as far as I can tell the updates will automatically be downloaded but you don't have to install them right away. Pro and enterprise are used in business environments, most IT admin worth anything will install the update in a test environment first then deploy across the network, so they wanted to give that don't download flexibility back. Windows has always recommended setting updates to automatic and that scares the hell out of me. Computer lock outs, outlook failure etc. But as for downloading the update and letting me look at it and chose, is what I think Home users will have as their highest control. Instead of what we have now, "let me chose which updates to download". Hope this isn't too confusing.

I don't think that's how it will work.

The Technical Preview (if you're an Insider) is for W10 Pro, not Home.

W10 Home will have forced updates automatically, with no option to choose them. This is not because of the beta. It will be there in the final version. This is because of MS's plans to make everyone's Windows version the exact same.

W10 Pro will only be able to defer updates for a few months, but they will install automatically regardless.