Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

I have to ask what is Microsoft idea behind not allowing users to control updates in Windows 10?

Downloadable content is where it is at.  Phones, which can be more powerful than a desktop, do OS updates all the time.  Thing is - that's how you will get Win X - as a (real) Windows update but it will happen over time.

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

So, do the majority of us update our software on a regular basis? Probably yes!

Why? probably to either have the latest, or to have it updated?

So, Microsoft is allowing us to have choices. Either to stay with the old, where support will eventually die, or to get the latest.

Of course, there are conditions, as there are for most things.

If you have the "Home" versions, Microsoft will control updates. (Actually, to allow us to have the latest & updated version!) The other versions, as we know, can defer installs.

So, Microsoft, thank you for considering us, especially those who do not update, & letting us have the most updated version of our operating system. (Well, we have no compulsion in updating our phone software, our flight sim software, etc.)

So, that is probably Microsoft's idea!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Microsoft have messed up (as in user's can't boot back into their computers) recently on a few Windows updates ... I know they had a really bad few months recently that caused all kinds of problems if you happened to be a user that triggered the situation.

Windows updates (as any software update) always has the potential to introduce unexpected bugs, however, they also solve security flaws ... so which is the lesser of two evils?  I usually like to delay my windows updates at least a week and wait for the issues to be reported before I allow the update to happen.  Microsoft typically release updates on Tuesday.  It's good practice to read what the updates do and what issues they are attempting to correct ... fortunately Microsoft provides this information BEFORE you update.

Some updates can cause problems, especially security updates as they can sometimes affect an applications/installs that might bump up security fixes from a now "more secure" OS.

I'd be really surprised if Win 10 free upgrade doesn't allow users to schedule download times and/or at least review updates before they are applied ... even Microsoft wouldn't want to assume that liability given their history of updates breaking functionality.

Cheers, Rob.

I'd be really surprised if Win 10 free upgrade doesn't allow users to schedule download times and/or at least review updates before they are applied ... even Microsoft wouldn't want to assume that liability given their history of updates breaking functionality.

Cheers, Rob.

You can select a time for the computer to restart or notify you it's about to restart, but you can't view updates before they're downloaded and installed.

but you can't view updates before they're downloaded and installed

In my versions you can, so I assume this is just for the Free upgrade?  I honestly don't understand why Microsoft would want to assume that liability given their past with breaking updates.

Cheers, Rob.

You can select a time for the computer to restart or notify you it's about to restart, but you can't view updates before they're downloaded and installed.

Maybe now in beta but that may change in full release - lets hope

Rich Sennett

In my versions you can, so I assume this is just for the Free upgrade? I honestly don't understand why Microsoft would want to assume that liability given their past with breaking updates.

Cheers, Rob.

Where? Because I have the latest preview and I don't see an option.

post-254482-0-26277100-1435196894.jpg

post-254482-0-58778900-1435196803.jpg

post-254482-0-28349800-1435196827.jpg

It began downloading these updates before I could even take the picture.

Looks to me you dont have a choice maybe because its still beta I would assume

Rich Sennett

What is under "Advanced Options"?

You can just disable the Windows Update Service:

1.  in search box type "services"

2.  View Local Services

3.  Find "Windows Update" set to disabled

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: you can also use powershell or do a registry hack to bring standard windows update back.

You can just disable the Windows Update Service:

1.  in search box type "services"

2.  View Local Services

3.  Find "Windows Update" set to disabled

Cheers, Rob.

This disables the whole thing. I want CRUCIAL updates. I just don't want OPTIONAL updates (drivers, software, etc.)

EDIT: you can also use powershell or do a registry hack to bring standard windows update back.

Where did you see this?

EDIT: I googled and I found how to enable the old Windows Update. I will try it later and see how it works.

Edited by linux731

I tried the fix, but it didn't work. I'm on the latest preview.

Here's the registry entry that needs to be changed, according to many sites:

post-254482-0-85204900-1435297678.png

Upon changing it, I get this error:

post-254482-0-20922000-1435297691.png

I have tried giving the user more permissions, but it also didn't work.

What about the Group Policy Editor for Pro? It should allow an admin to select how the updates are installed/downloaded.

I also read that changing this setting from 0 to 2 will check for updates, but will allow you choose to download or install them. Kind of like Windows 7:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions

Ive heard a rumour that whilst Windows 10 may well be free to upgrade after a while you will be charged a regular fee to update as they have copyrighted 365.

Dave