Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

No BufferPools entry at all VS. Bufferpools=0

Hi ,  do you get any "flashing" of scenery with  water @ Low 2.x.  I seem to have to ramp water up to maximum to stop the odd flash?

Cheers

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

AFAIC I don't see any flashing, but note my zoom level (less than 50%) on a large monitor if it can affect at all.

Dirk.

Very interesting, and 20 fps is generally enough for my flying (I don't use TIR, only EZDOK). I think I'll use these 20 and 1/3 settings.

Steve, what are your PoolSize and RejectThreshold settings when flying airliners?

But again that would "invoke the look ahead buffer" and negate the "unlimited" benefit of some extra FPS, would it not?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Yes, if you want ultimate fps then don't use the internal fixed setting, use an external limiter. However, the problems of fps flicking back and forth as the scene complexity changes negates the slightly higher fps achievable.

The Bufferpool is an integral part of the way the GPU is handled by FSX and should not be cut out. The buffer helps to smooth things out, leave as-is or experiment with a small buffer to keep the sim smooth. There's not much to be gained in fps here, I leave it as-is (no Bufferpool section).

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

The Bufferpool is an integral part of the way the GPU is handled by FSX and should not be cut out. The buffer helps to smooth things out, leave as-is or experiment with a small buffer to keep the sim smooth. There's not much to be gained in fps here, I leave it as-is (no Bufferpool section).

Will try that as well.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Can anyone tell me why setting the water at 2xHigh eliminates the flashing scenery?, have seen this problem on various set ups and setting it to 2XHigh always seems to do the trick. I have also read that having Bufferpools=0 can help when running dx10?

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Water at 2X high forces the system to render the scenery in two passes, rather than one.

When you start to play with Usepools=0, and limited vs unlimited fps settings, and such, you make FSX operate in ways it was not designed for...

Note quote above:

"The Bufferpool is an integral part of the way the GPU is handled by FSX and should not be cut out."

On very fast systems (which did not exist when FSX was designed and programmed), you may be able to "cut corners", but undesirable side effects may also appear..

That was the short version.. for more, just browse the forums.  This has been discussed to death, ever since Bojote published these tricks..

Bert

When you start to play with Usepools=0, and limited vs unlimited fps settings, and such, you make FSX operate in ways it was not designed for...

Since FSX:SE has apparently been fine tuned for today's machines, I'd be interested to know what the default settings for Usepools and FPS (limited vs unlimited) are for FSX:SE.

Al

I'm almost sure FSX-SE defaults at Bufferpools=0

How sure is "almost sure"?

Is there a Bufferpools entry in the fsx.cfg file?

Bert

some settings in FSX-SE have been hardcoded anew. For example the slider for texture resolutions now defaults at 4096 when set all the way to the right.

DX10toolbox from the DX10Fixer has an fsx.cfg tweak utility. When opened, it shows bufferpools set to 0 even with no entry present in the fsx.cfg file.

It is safe to assume that because of today's GPU's, along with 4096 textures as a default and other under-the-hood optimizations, Dovetail deems no bufferpools to be the most appropriate setting on today's machines.

Feel free to correct me, anyone.

I read about it in the steam forums so Im almost nearly positive as well that Bufferpools is hard coded :smile:

ZORAN

How sure is "almost sure"?

Is there a Bufferpools entry in the fsx.cfg file?

No, but neither there is highmemfix=1 in SE's fsx.cfg, it's 'hard-coded'.

I really doubt about Bufferpools in FSX-SE though.

Dirk.

Steve, I like your settings very much, they make FSX very smooth and balanced.

Dirk.

Well, I did actually run some tests with FSX-SE and the results did look similar to FSX. The worst performers were Default and zero buffer, surprisingly, they get a bit lumpy. A small buffer, Poolsize=1000..2000, provided the shortest lines on the graph. There's really not much in it, but when I get time I want to try some other scenarios.

Well, I did actually run some tests with FSX-SE and the results did look similar to FSX. The worst performers were Default and zero buffer, surprisingly, they get a bit lumpy. A small buffer, Poolsize=1000..2000, provided the shortest lines on the graph. There's really not much in it, but when I get time I want to try some other scenarios.

Please post them here, and I'll add a small buffer vs. default to my FSX-SE's fsx.cfg

Thanks,

Dirk.

There's not much in it but after 4 sweeps the small pool just gets it.

FSXSEBufferpools.jpgFSX-SE Bufferpools Setups