Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Prepar3D blue haze

When I installed 2.5 I loved the blue haze that showed up on the Rex 2 and 3 weather themes.  When I added REX Texture Direct, it was gone...replaced with a gray haze which I thought looked far less realistic and crappy.  Does anyone know what the blue haze file is?  I was thinking to back it up outside of REX so that I could overwrite that one file after I applied cloud changes.

Thanks!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Weird...I had Rex 4 texture direct installed and removed it because I hated that blue haze and couldn't find a way to get rid of it otherwise. Way overdone in my opinion. Sorry, I'm not much help. I'd actually love to be able to replicate your "issue" :)

Chris

Sorry, I am with Gregg. I was always wondering why the heaven around me is all gray while it looks blue out of the window of my room. Obviously it's REX Texture Direct 4 which I use indeed.

You can influence this using monitor settings/calibration within limits, but then you may end up having blue houses, streets and planes all around.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

No I get what you guys are saying. There is an xplane plugin called real terra haze that does an unbelievably good job atmospheric scattering and haze effects. I'd love to see P3D nail that effect better.

Chris

Guest tymk

Hi Gregg,

Have you tried restoring your default or previous (REX2/3) sky themes? Apart from sky textures, the "sky_[...].bmp" files in \Prepar3D v2\texture\ also contain a number of pixels that determine light/shadow colors. Perhaps they also determine the fog/haze color? The image here explains the meaning of the pixels for FS9/FSX, but it should be good for P3D as well:  http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/environment_pixels.jpg

Tym

Hi Gregg,

Have you tried restoring your default or previous (REX2/3) sky themes? Apart from sky textures, the "sky_[...].bmp" files in \Prepar3D v2\texture\ also contain a number of pixels that determine light/shadow colors. Perhaps they also determine the fog/haze color? The image here explains the meaning of the pixels for FS9/FSX, but it should be good for P3D as well: http://www.cat-tamer...ment_pixels.jpg

Tym

Maybe...but...it only shows that blue haze on 2 weather themes.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I posted this over at the Rex Texture Direct support forum and thought it would be good to post it here so folks could see the results...

Yes...looks like it's tied to the sky texture.  I spent some time loading quite a few of the textures and it's pretty amazing how different the sky and weather looks in some of them.  The haze effect on each of these is starkly different.  You don't pick that up in the previews.  

I've embedded the images below but it may be easier to see by looking at the full album on imgur.com

http://imgur.com/a/zRVLJ#4

Gregg

Default P3D:

fNZbWwZ.jpg

PkbcVA5.jpg

BCwEC78.jpg

9yjcyB3.jpg

tMvX6MV.jpg

NwZtHgW.jpg

5Q9okvw.jpg

MQkDqJZ.jpg

L3c2dgk.jpg

nVM8fnp.jpg

lbooDco.jpg

6nD6PVI.jpg

Gregg Seipp

Guest tymk

Thanks for taking the time to test this. It looks like the bottom row of pixels determines the haze color, it'd really be great to have Shade 2.0 to manipulate things like this more easily... :wink: Which set did you choose in the end?

Tym

And here is my response on our forum:

But isn't that the point of having choice? It would be very odd to have different hue values for haze vs. skies etc. Understand there are many values built into the sky textures, change one and it could off the rest of the scene. 

At any rate, we are working on a major update with Texture Direct (SP5) and it might just very well make you happy, as well as something we cannot yet discuss in development. ;)

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Sorry, I'd started this thread before I posted over at REX and thought it would be a good idea to update folks here since many were interested.  My point, not well stated, is that there are some skies that have more haze, and gray haze at that, than others and it's important to choose wisely.  This was an interesting exercise and the pictures are well worth keeping around so that, if you want to change haze, you can do so by looking at them.  BTW, these look A LOT different in FSX which, to me, has always looked overly hazy (my opinion).  In P3D they look much better. 

One thing that had me thinking is that it might be nice to select a set of textures that you like from Texture Direct and have it load from the set based on atmospheric conditions and location.  Not sure if that's doable but it would be A HUGE change for simming! 

Thanks for taking the time to test this. It looks like the bottom row of pixels determines the haze color, it'd really be great to have Shade 2.0 to manipulate things like this more easily... :wink: Which set did you choose in the end?

At the moment I'm still flying the default, but I liked Countryside, Misty Sea and Death Valley.  Polluted reminds me of the East Coast summer so it looks good as well for some circumstances.

Gregg Seipp

At any rate, we are working on a major update with Texture Direct (SP5) and it might just very well make you happy, as well as something we cannot yet discuss in development. ;)

Awesome news Tim - whats not awesome is why I am not on beta team lol

Rich Sennett

Awesome news Tim - whats not awesome is why I am not on beta team lol

Hah! If you look back on our conversation via our forum I have invited you twice these past few years when we had openings. 

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Hah! If you look back on our conversation via our forum I have invited you twice these past few years when we had openings. 

Hmm dont recall that no biggie Tim - thanks 

Rich Sennett