Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

OOM errors revisited

Microsoft just didn't put a priority on it and by the time 64b caught on mainstream they didn't have the resources to go back and fix it.

If this was the ONLY thing that P3D V3 addressed, I'd be happy. It is the impasse that most needs addressing to enable bigger and better things to move forward.

Funny  how we shifted from being obsessed with frame rates to VAS count.... What will be next?

Probably frame rates...

Its been an endless loop for years.

Funny  how we shifted from being obsessed with frame rates to VAS count.... What will be next?

It will be a never ending loop until the day a simulator comes along that acts like it is running on 2015 hardware instead of 2003 hardware and has the support and fidelity of FSX/P3D.   Until then, let us have our repeated gripes between  VAS, FPS, Stutters, Ugly colors, Bad night lighting, broken aircraft and blurry textures on everything!  :)   If we don't vent will explode from all the hot gases inside us!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

It seems to be the nature of the simmer to complain rather than praise !  You wait until 64-bit comes along, and it doesn't deliver because all it does is move the bottleneck to elsewhere in the system, and the complaints stop being about VAS and start being about something else - and frame rates !  :wink:

It seems to be the nature of the simmer to complain rather than praise ! You wait until 64-bit comes along, and it doesn't deliver because all it does is move the bottleneck to elsewhere in the system, and the complaints stop being about VAS and start being about something else - and frame rates !

The issue is about the debilitating effect that the VAS limitation has. Anything debilitating is an issue. There are already some 'hypothetical' indications which are providing hope regarding VAS for V3.

I think some folks just need to come to a compromise with their systems, which seems to be a love hate relationship.  I fly on my laptop with P3D, ActiveSkyNext and ORBX scenery.  I have yet to install P3D versions of PMDG products (scrapping up the cash first), but for now, I use the A2A C182, and I have to say, it is a dream to fly with this combination.  I have yet to experience a single OOM.

So what am I doing right?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It seems to be the nature of the simmer to complain rather than praise !  You wait until 64-bit comes along, and it doesn't deliver because all it does is move the bottleneck to elsewhere in the system, and the complaints stop being about VAS and start being about something else - and frame rates !  :wink:

I totally agree. Since starting simming almost 30 years ago, when all the communication was on Usenet, to today, all I have had heard  is complaining and whining and ######ing about every little quirk and problem in the current sim under discussion. It will never be good enough for some folks, if it never OOMs or they get 100 FPS with $3,000 worth of add ons, they will still find something to complain about. I have flown the actual  sims that are used by Airlines and the Military that cost in the millions of dollars, and I never heard the people flying these sims complain and whine about the lack of eye candy, and frame rates, and how come there aren't cars and boats on the highway, and how come the airport buildings don't have interiors with restaurants filled with people, etc. etc. etc....  I am just thankful that I can enjoy flying P3D, it's stable, inexpensive, and I get hours of enjoyment every day, as well as a great learning experience in aviation, for less than a tankful of avgas in a C 152. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I think some folks just need to come to a compromise with their systems, which seems to be a love hate relationship.

It seems that P3D v3 may well have some rather significant improvements where VAS management is concerned. If that is the case, then hopefully we may no longer need to compromise quite as much as we have been forced to in the past. This is of course only a hypothetical scenario. It isn't as if anyone has directly informed us that this will be the case :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have yet to experience a single OOM.

So what am I doing right?

I get what you are saying but that is an apples and pears comparison. Heavy metal from large airports is a different demand entirely from a light aircraft from a small airfield. Under those conditions my sim hums - even with max detail. Obviously OOM's will depend on the type of flying you are doing.

I also think the intention of  posts on Avsim are not just to complain. Pretty pointless. The point of posts here is (firstly to complain) :smile: , but then to try and understand why things are happening. Isn't that what the forum's are for ...to share common problems with the hope of somehow resolving them based on other's experiences and knowledge? In this case, everyone was exceptionally helpful, and my issue was resolved with a few noted tweaks.

And in some cases, it is necessary to revisit issues which have been a ball and chain for years because knowledge may have changed or someone may have come up with new solutions which are not yet disclosed.  

I get what you are saying but that is an apples and pears comparison. Heavy metal from large airports is a different demand entirely from a light aircraft from a small airfield. Under those conditions my sim hums - even with max detail. Obviously OOM's will depend on the type of flying you are doing.

I also think the intention of  posts on Avsim are not just to complain. Pretty pointless. The point of posts here is (firstly to complain) :smile: , but then to try and understand why things are happening. Isn't that what the forum's are for ...to share common problems with the hope of somehow resolving them based on other's experiences and knowledge? In this case, everyone was exceptionally helpful, and my issue was resolved with a few noted tweaks.

And in some cases, it is necessary to revisit issues which have been a ball and chain for years because knowledge may have changed or someone may have come up with new solutions which are not yet disclosed.  

I'm another one that never gets any OOMs, but I know why, I use default scenery with the exception of UT USA and UT Europe, and this is flying the Airbus A320 series.My VAS is around 2.5 Gigs 99% of the time. I am positive that If I start purchasing add on sceneries and airports, OOMs will be sure to follow. Not rocket science. 

By the way, for the people that do have OOMS, has anyone tried this suggestion in this video I just saw this morning?    

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'm another one that never gets any OOMs, but I know why, I use default scenery with the exception of UT USA and UT Europe

Bob

That's fair enough but I did that 10 years ago. I'd like my simming to evolve somewhat further than default, which is not a completely bonkers expectation. Thanks for your help and suggestions too which did help.

I'm another one that never gets any OOMs, but I know why, I use default scenery with the exception of UT USA and UT Europe, and this is flying the Airbus A320 series.My VAS is around 2.5 Gigs 99% of the time. I am positive that If I start purchasing add on sceneries and airports, OOMs will be sure to follow. Not rocket science. 

By the way, for the people that do have OOMS, has anyone tried this suggestion in this video I just saw this morning?    

Thanks for posting your find , Does that program on youtube link do the same as these instructions here http://www.avsim.com/topic/471110-how-to-mipmap-and-optimise-textures/       as in converting them to mipmaps, I am  still bit confused about it.

Cheers 

Riche

So tried this utility on few airports , airports still work fine, but the utility gave more errors & unrecognised files really?? Than it actually converted, & I followed the videos exact instructions. Anyone else tried this & what were your thoughts on it.

Just didn't seem too change many files ie: Aerosoft EGLL , it only converted about 5 or so texture files.

Cheers.

I find it works better on a/c textures.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors