Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Pros & Cons of X Plane

Guys... This is deteriorating into X-Plane vs FSX/P3D - we've had enough of that. It's not my place to say it but we should stick to the topic - the 'Pros and Cons of X-Plane', not 'X-Plane vs FSX'. There is no necessity to compare it to other sims when it would make do to gauge X-Plane only, all by itself plus its various add-ons. 

This is deteriorating into X-Plane vs FSX/P3D

Agreed. Especially when some of the opinions here are from people that obviously don't even have or use XP. 

Cons:

19 AI planes at one time.

Summer textures all year long.

ATC system that is very basic and sounds poor.

Screen shots provided upon request.

The problem with 19 AI aircraft has been eliminated with World Traffic. The season issue still remains and Radar Contact now works with XPX and a plugin is coming for PFE. There is progress being made.

NAX669.png

I stand humbly corrected about your sim experience and do apologize. However, I beg to differ with your opinion.

With just south of 200 hours as passenger/navigator/camera man split between Cessna 337, Cessna 206, and a bit in Piper Archer, my experience is that X-Plane does a remarkably better job at simulating the airplane/atmosphere interaction. Cross wind landings in FSX are a gross overgeneralization of what happens in real world cross wind scenario. (Yes I have ASNsp3 and it is better than default FSX).

As I mentioned, I too have exhibited smaller aircraft, simulating atmospherics well, it's the larger aircraft that I don't see this with. as for the rest, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

And there's 2 different seasonal textures available for download for free... :smile:

And there's 2 different seasonal textures available for download for free... :smile:

Do they automatically load and change as the calendar changes? Yes, there is a plug in that will change stuff if the temperature drops below freezing.

The problem with 19 AI aircraft has been eliminated with World Traffic. The season issue still remains and Radar Contact now works with XPX and a plugin is coming for PFE. There is progress being made.

I was under the impression we were sharing based on default XP. If not, then we have to compare to other sims and that is frowned upon.

Disagree that XP does a better job of airplane/atmospheric interaction. I always considered Realair (MSFS) as the king product for simulated slips. They still do them best. Slips and spins were a part of flight dynamics, that Rob from Realair went to the task of perfectionist many years ago. Of course, it's the slip for crosswind landings.

Realistically, there are two things I'd never use a sim, for evaluating real world performance. Spins and performance takeoffs in high density altitude conditions. Sims are only approximations. Same for deciding if I can out climb a mountain pass. I'll do it all the time with FSX and Xplane, but took it very seriously in real life.

Does anyone use the default AI or ATC on any of the sim platforms? Those are usually the first things that get replaced. At least they were for me.

NAX669.png

I think what alot of people mean by better capablities regarding flight model and atmospheric interaction is that xplane has more capabilities out of the box. Take example A2A for me still the best GA Aircrafts simulated in all Flightsims. You could argue now how much of that model is still FSX and how much is A2A Magic that simulates stuff FSX does not including correct handling in extrem cases. In the end it is a moot point, because for the customer the result is a superb airplane. But in FSX the developers need to go to much greater extents to get the same results of a convincing flight model than in x-plane

I think what alot of people mean by better capablities regarding flight model and atmospheric interaction is that xplane has more capabilities out of the box. Take example A2A for me still the best GA Aircrafts simulated in all Flightsims. You could argue now how much of that model is still FSX and how much is A2A Magic that simulates stuff FSX does not including correct handling in extrem cases. In the end it is a moot point, because for the customer the result is a superb airplane. But in FSX the developers need to go to much greater extents to get the same results of a convincing flight model than in x-plane

Absolutely not true, While FSX does have the capability to go out of the box and use external flight models. It is perfectly capable of delivering a realistic flight model using it's own methods.. The Real Air example Larry mentioned above is a prime example. In either sim it comes down to the knowledge and talent of the developer to how accurate a model is.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Is JSkorna trolling?

Naw, never.

NAX669.png

Does anyone use the default AI or ATC on any of the sim platforms? Those are usually the first things that get replaced. At least they were for me.

A you can see I use PFE now, but before that I used default, with FS Editvoicepack, in fact I made my own modifications to those to add features like wind on takeoff as well as landing, expected flight levels on clearance and a few other mods. These are available here in the library.  It's good to hear FS++ is going to make a plugin for PFE also for XP!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

There is a great video comparison here.

I have all sim and the problem for me with Xpane is when you fly place that you know it doesn't feel realistic.

in FSX even with default scenery is a lot more accurate. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.