Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Pros & Cons of X Plane

OP - have you tried the demo yet?  Lots of replies here, tons of info.  

If you're frugal and fly USA only just buy the regional pack off amazon... about 30 bucks.  Otherwise get the demo and try it.  I think global is about $60.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Plane-10-Regional-North-America/dp/B007TMFD7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440464200&sr=8-2&keywords=x-plane

http://www.amazon.com/X-Plane-Global-Flight-Simulator-PC-Linux/dp/B006RJ373K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440464200&sr=8-1&keywords=x-plane

Global on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/292180/

I wouldn't recommend steam edition because you won't be able to do the beta updates.  It can take a lot of months between stable versions.

True, but:

1) Not everyone likes to do beta testing...

2) Not having to keep the DVD in the drive (without forking over for a USB key) is priceless...

3) Steam occasionally has it on sale for 50% off, so just $30...

True, but:

2) Not having to keep the DVD in the drive (without forking over for a USB key) is priceless...

Mount the iso on a virtual drive... this is what I've done.  No issues with that.  No USB stick or DVD in drive needed.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is JSkorna trolling?

I can post some screens of my XP folder if you want. 167GB at last check.

For me anyway, I really couldn't be without my A2A or Turbine Duke 

I just cant get my head around the daytime lighting in x-plane,  i keep playing with the settings to try and replicate other sims, maybe i'm doing something completely wrong but i just cant make it work for me. 

I still fly x-plane but spend more time in P3D

2) X-Plane is 64-bit - need I say more?

http://www.avsim.com/topic/465603-a-64-bit-story/

I just cant get my head around the daytime lighting in x-plane,  i keep playing with the settings to try and replicate other sims, maybe i'm doing something completely wrong but i just cant make it work for me. 

did you try real terra haze ? fiddling with that and skymaxx pro sorted out my problems with the daytime lighting

Jim is... prgamatic... Just that :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

While it's true that 3rd party developers can do amazing things to improve the aerodynamics and plane performance in both sims, it's much easier to experience those tweaked models when the frame rate is consistently above 30fps with your preferred graphic settings, and the program is stable enough not to crash frequently.

That's what keeps me in X-Plane -- the ultra-smooth frame rates so I can grease a landing, or fly for a couple of hours on an FSEconomy assignment without having to re-do it because the sim crashed. I know some people have problems, but I've never had a program crash with any recent release version of X-Plane. I consistently get 40+ fps when landing with fairly high graphics settings all-round, on a computer and GPU that's fast, but far from a monster gaming machine. It just makes virtual flying a pleasure.

I'm not a pilot, but I'm retired from a career as a commercial photographer that once included a ton of aerial photography jobs in light fixed-wing and helicopters. I think I remember what it felt like, and X-Plane sure feels like that to me.

I would like a better weather model, yes. What we have feels like it's vestigial code from many versions ago, that doesn't match the quality of the rest of the sim. We'll get there eventually, and I can wait. Same thing with the gradual addition of airport scenery, with some popular flying areas like the Pacific Northwest being rapidly filled in already. Meanwhile I'm having fun.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Is there anyway I can download a beta update if I have the Steam version that does not do beta updates? 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

No,

However, I read somewhere that they are planning to go to the next release candidate within the next 2 weeks or less depending on if any new bugs are discovered. So at that point Steam should update to the latest release.

Rob

Maybe someone could send me the beta files. I was going to buy this today until I found Steam will not update beta files for Xplane and I do not want the disc. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

You can buy discs off amazon and mount them to a virtual drive (example using daemon tools lite) so you don't need the disc in the drive

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well I can give some 64bit advantages

The fact that you can push the objects settings to maximun , car settings to maximum , load distnace to maximum , with out having any blurries and the scenery loading is very smooth and feels natural.

In FSX/P3D you'll always get those objects that pop up suddenly even though you are kinda close...

Really , go to NYC for example with max settings in Xplane ... this amount of objects roads , cars , trees , shadows in FSX/P3D... well those will just crash with OOM.

So 64bit is a great solution for blurries and objects pop-ups for example , to me those problems in FSX/P3D just kills all the immersion.

Laminar also has a newly released download version, independent of Steam, that allows betas.

Thanks, that is one I will check out. 

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I can post some screens of my XP folder if you want. 167GB at last check.

That doesn't matter. What matters, is that you, sir, tend to harp on the unimportant, sometimes irrelevant points - of all things, seasonal textures?

The developers know about this; they also know about the broken roll, clouds and weather (not to mention ATC). It just isn't a priority for them. If you want something that badly, why not send in a feature request?