Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Phenom Autopilot

Perhaps, but the GN 750 works fine in the Hawker and Kodiac Quest.  I will see if there is an update this evening.

In 2D it must work, if you add it with the F1 GTN Config tool. If it does not show up or appear blank, this is surely due to an obsolete version. Take into account that the latest FSX-SE release had broken the GTN, Flight1 released a new version which is compatible and also allows for direct upgrade through the F1 Update Tool.

In 3D it is quite a different story. Bert's mode was created for version 1.2, now Carenado released version 1.3 and the extension, which adds two new CAB files (EMB505_G1000N and EMB505_GAUGEN). This explains why his mod is now broken.

In 2D it must work, if you add it with the F1 GTN Config tool. If it does not show up or appear blank, this is surely due to an obsolete version. Take into account that the latest FSX-SE release had broken the GTN, Flight1 released a new version which is compatible and also allows for direct upgrade through the F1 Update Tool.

In 3D it is quite a different story. Bert's mode was created for version 1.2, now Carenado released version 1.3 and the extension, which adds two new CAB files (EMB505_G1000N and EMB505_GAUGEN). This explains why his mod is now broken.

I see the problem.  In Burt's mod, he replaces the Flight1 GN750 2D pop up panel with his own.  This is indeed blank.  When I go to an un-modded version of the Phenom, I can pull up the default 2D GN 750 panel and it works fine.  I do like the touch screen interface of the GN 750, so at least having the 2D pop up helps.

I have been successfully using the autopilot, but still haven't been able to "pre-select" my departure heading, climb rate or altitude prior to take off.  Are people able to dial these in prior to takeoff then arm the AP?  

Thanks

Chuck

I see the problem.  In Burt's mod, he replaces the Flight1 GN750 2D pop up panel with his own.  This is indeed blank.  When I go to an un-modded version of the Phenom, I can pull up the default 2D GN 750 panel and it works fine.  I do like the touch screen interface of the GN 750, so at least having the 2D pop up helps.

This is possible, but can't say anything about this, since I refuse to install the GTN750 on anything which is not a GA aircraft (where I love it and consider it a game changer). I just don't want to see it in a business jet like the Hawker (where I first used it and even enjoyed before removing) or the Phenom 300, neither in VC nor in 2D. I only used Bert's mod to the autopilot as long as it worked. Keep in mind that Bert worked on version 1.2, then went to holiday. Since then Carenado release version 1.3 and the extension, which changed lot of panels. I am afraid you will have to wait until the end of month before Bert will start working on the new material.

I have been successfully using the autopilot, but still haven't been able to "pre-select" my departure heading, climb rate or altitude prior to take off.  Are people able to dial these in prior to takeoff then arm the AP?

Of course you can pre-select heading, set the initial climb rate (I use the TOGA button on the thrust lever to adjust the FD to about 9,5°, but I see that FSMania do the same with V/S) and all the rest. Per manual you engage the A/P at about 400-500 feet and you proceed with FLC at 160 knots. All this is working fine. Flight planning and airways loading works fine as well, I only have a glitch when loading procedures in VC, I noticed that it only works in 2D here, meaning that and I have to open the FMS keypad with Shift+3 to have all the SIDs, runways and waypoints properly loaded. There is some kind of lag the first time I load the procedures. I already reported this to Carenado, but they asked me to create a video, which I have not yet done, since I confess I am not very good in this.

Would you care to explain exactly what is not working on your side?

This is possible, but can't say anything about this, since I refuse to install the GTN750 on anything which is not a GA aircraft (where I love it and consider it a game changer). I just don't want to see it in a business jet like the Hawker (where I first used it and even enjoyed before removing) or the Phenom 300, neither in VC nor in 2D. I only used Bert's mod to the autopilot as long as it worked. Keep in mind that Bert worked on version 1.2, then went to holiday. Since then Carenado release version 1.3 and the extension, which changed lot of panels. I am afraid you will have to wait until the end of month before Bert will start working on the new material.

Of course you can pre-select heading, set the initial climb rate (I use the TOGA button on the thrust lever to adjust the FD to about 9,5°, but I see that FSMania do the same with V/S) and all the rest. Per manual you engage the A/P at about 400-500 feet and you proceed with FLC at 160 knots. All this is working fine. Flight planning and airways loading works fine as well, I only have a glitch when loading procedures in VC, I noticed that it only works in 2D here, meaning that and I have to open the FMS keypad with Shift+3 to have all the SIDs, runways and waypoints properly loaded. There is some kind of lag the first time I load the procedures. I already reported this to Carenado, but they asked me to create a video, which I have not yet done, since I confess I am not very good in this.

Would you care to explain exactly what is not working on your side?

Thanks for your help.  I have been flying GA aircraft in FSX/P3D for a number of years, and just now trying to learn about VNAV functionality/airways/approach procedures for jet aircraft.

When I receive departure clearance with my assigned altitude, I would like to "dial" that into the AP prior to takeoff.  However, I am not able to change the VS setting or "arm" the ALTS function prior to take off. I click the buttons and nothing happens. Once airborne, I can dial in the selected altitude, hit the VS button (which "arms" the ALTS functionality), change the desired VS speed and the autopilot levels off at that altitude.  

Never used the TOGA button to pre-set the FD prior to take-off, but I'll try that on my next flight,.

When you say "per manual" about the autopilot functionality, which PDF are your referring to?  Honestly, I looked through the documentation and I cannot find anything that looks like a manual... 

That's strange. May I ask which version (1.1, 1.2, 1.3) are you using and if you have the extension installed?

That's strange. May I ask which version (1.1, 1.2, 1.3) are you using and if you have the extension installed?

Currently using 1.3. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

When you're starting a flight, before you take off, can you see the Standby PFD next to the autopilot? Is it showing up, or is it a blank screen? If it's a blank screen, that means your system Avionics are off, and that would explain all of the problems you're having. You'll have to toggle the Avionics on, and the autopilot will work precisely as I have described previously. 

Hard to tell. Are you comfortable creating a video? Or to post some shots? All I can say is that I can pre-select the initial altitude, the runway heading, the pitch for the initial climb and even the speed with the SPD knob before take-off. Which knobs/buttons are not working? Sorry if this may sound dumb, but sometimes clickspots in VC are pretty tricky, you change your view with Ezdok or slightly pan in/out or move left/right and they don't work anymore or magically work when you thought they wouldn't. That's a pretty normal behavior, i have this in several addons.

After experimenting this evening, I noticed I CAN pre-select the HDG or GPS horizontal guidance, and this will be active when I arm the autopilot after takeoff.   These show up as green on the AP readout at the top of the FMS.  The problem that I have is the plane taking off like a rocket.  I can dial in the VS and altitude prior to takeoff , which show up as carets on the VS and altitude tapes, but when I arm the autopilot, it reverts to PIT. If I click VS or ALT after takeoff, it selects the current VS (usually 5000 fpm) instead of the one I pre-selected prior to takeoff.  Same for altitude.

I can't seem to activate either VS or ALTS prior to takeoff.  Does the AP need to be on?  If so, my AP does not "turn on" or light up. Clicking on the VS, FLC or ALT button prior to takeoff does nothing.  

Not sure how to make a video but I'll post a screenshot later.

Capture_zpsd1hyzrqi.jpg

Here is a pic of my FMS prior to departure.  I have used the VS wheel and ALT knob to choose a VS of 2000 and an altitude of 10,000.  However, I cannot change the default active mode from PIT to VS or ATLS prior to departure.  When I click on VS or ALT, nothing changes.

I hope Bert is having a great time on his ridiculously long vacation :smile:  I think his presence here is missed since Carenado released SP 1.3 and his mods are created for 1.2.

I did fly the Hawker with Bert's GTN-750 mod.  It certainly made the airplane  more predictable and easier to manage for sure.  The GTN-750 does have a "V-Calc" function that calculates a TOD and updates the descent rate required to meet set altitude restrictions. So you don't really have to give up V-Nav with the GTN-750.

I understand wanting to fly the Hawker or Phenom(s) with the avionics package(s)  they come equipped with.  The Collins Proline 21 and the Garmin Prodigy are after all customized for their respective jets.  I have been flying the Carenado Phenom 300(so far) with only the G1000 because I have SP1.3 and Bert's on vacation.  I am working though the rough spots with the help of this forum and Ray Marshall. 

I am producing a video series on the Phenom 300 in cooperation with Ray Marshall who is currently writing an AVSIM review of the 300.  The series will feature a series of flights beginning in Sao Jose Dos Campos, Brazil (home of Embraer) and conclude in Wichita, Kansas (home of Cessna).  I am starting out with the basic Phenom 300 version 1.3 on the first leg to Belem, Brazil.  On the 2nd leg to St. Maarten and 3rd leg to Fort Lauderdale,  I will add in the Navigraph expansion pack and fly airways, SID's, and STAR's and approaches (I hope) with the G1000.  On the final leg to Wichita, I plan to add  Bert's GTN-750 to the panel (if he ever comes back from vacation :smile:).  The idea is to fly the Phenom 300 using very basic simple procedures all the way through more complex navigation and approaches. 

I think what we would all love to have is a PMDG level Business Class Jet.  Maybe PMDG will create one someday... until then....

Here's what could potentially be a good compromise for both camps...  GTN-750 vs. G-1000.  What would be nice is to have the G1000 modeled on the level of Flight1's GTN-750.  RealAir provides provisions to replace the FSX GPS in the Turbine Duke with the Flight1 GTN-750 which cost about the same as the Turbine Duke. To me it seems worth the investment given that I can install the GTN-750 in several of the airplanes in my hanger. 

Flight1 will you please build a G1000 that can be installed in the Carenado Phenom 100 or 300 (with weather radar)???  If we had that option available, then all would be well with the world.  Until then, I'll just keep flying with what I have... heck, I flew a lot of real world cross country trips when there was no such thing as GPS. :wink:   

Real good post above me Tim --so your involved with FS Mania  are you ? I watched one video and gonna watch an other tonight -- he does a real nice job i find .Im just using the pop up G750 cause i cant get Berts mod in  but then i have the 1.3 version 

Hi Tim,

as an avid watcher of your video productions, subscriber to your YouTube channel and your admirer, please allow me to slightly disagree here about the following:

The GTN-750 does have a "V-Calc" function that calculates a TOD and updates the descent rate required to meet set altitude restrictions. So you don't really have to give up V-Nav with the GTN-750.  

V-Calc is a nice feature, but it is not the same as VNAV. As I always say, GTN750 is a great investment, but it best fits in a GA aircraft, not in a business jet like the Phenom 300.

Flight1 will you please build a G1000 that can be installed in the Carenado Phenom 100 or 300 (with weather radar)???  If we had that option available, then all would be well with the world.  Until then, I'll just keep flying with what I have... heck, I flew a lot of real world cross country trips when there was no such thing as GPS. :wink:   

Flight1 already provides what you're looking for:
http://www.flight1tech.com/Products/AvionicsSimulations/GarminG1000StudentSimulatorSoftware/G1000OptionsandPricing.aspx

There is only one problem: their Garmin G1000 Student Simulator Software costs $ 249,00! This is unfortunately the price you have to pay if you want a complete and fully functional G1000 (meaning exactly as the real thing), including a real standalone autopilot (AFCS) with all vertical modes (PIT, ALTS, ALT, VS, VPTH, ALTV, FLC, GP, WAAS, GS and Go Around), all lateral modes (ROL, HDG, GPS, VOR, LOC) and all approach modes (GPS, VAPP, LOC, BC). It is also updatable with Navigraph database and includes weather information. In addition to this high price, it is not intended for embedding in a VC, but to be run on a separate monitor or a separate networked machine. Needless to say, it best fits in a home cockpit (with physical panels and knobs), but the price will be significantly higher. Bottom line: not everybody can afford it.

As I said in a previous post, it is not realistic to expect any software house will ever offer us an aircraft along with a complete and fully fuctional G1000 for $50 or $60. For example, the G1000 coming with the King Air B200 is nicely modeled, but is not complete and the AFCS does not include VNAV. The GTN750 is a nice standalone tool, but it must be coupled to the default Microsoft autopilot, which brings up a lot of negative implications. Not to mention that its database is not always close to reality outside US and Canada. Some RNAV approaches I tried here in Brasil with the GTN750, for example, do not appear to be completely accurate compared to what I get when using an aircraft with upgradable Navigraph database (which actually reflects real world charts).

I have been using the default Prodigy G1000 coming with Carenado Phenom 300 for a couple of weeks and it seems to me that, while some features are not exactly modeled as in the real world thing, other are missing or might need a fix, in general it provides an acceptable experience for an entertainment level simulator. Honestly I fail to understand what a GTN750 could bring more in lieu of the MFD, but I obviously respect people who are more comfortable with that solution. Whatever navigation system we choose, however, I am afraid that we must live with the fact that we can't ask more if we are not ready to spend more. Strictly my personal opinion.

Again, thanks a lot for you new video series.

If you love a defective system then use it but for me the GTN 750 let's me fly without worry.

There is only one cdu that works well  for me and that is in my X-Plane 757. I have not tried the PDGM aircraft yet but they are on the list because their systems seem to work. 

I have avoided the Corenado aircraft in FSX so far because of all the system problems but have heard and read that their aircraft are much better system wise in X-Plane so might have to give one of those a try now that they are coming out with a G1000 for that sim.

I guess I am lucky in that I am  not a "die hard got to have the original item guy" and can just have fun with this stuff. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

If you love a defective system then use it but for me the GTN 750 let's me fly without worry.

[...]

I guess I am lucky in that I am  not a "die hard got to have the original item guy" and can just have fun with this stuff. 

Hi Paul,

actually I don't like defective systems nor I struggle to be a 'die hard got to have the original item guy' in any way or to convince others to do so. That would be a very stupid cause to fight for. I am simply under the impression that some of you have a misconception about what the real problems in Carenado birds are and what the GTN750 can actually bring up or not bring up to make your life better.

The real problems in the Phenom 300 - at least in my opinion, of course - come from the autopilot, not from the Garmin G1000. Such autopilot issues need to be fixed, no matter if from Carenado, from Bert or from anybody else in the community and no matter whether you use the default Garmin PFD or a fancy GTN750 instead. The GTN750 is simply a standalone navigation system that is coupled to the the main autopilot in the aircraft. For example, if the FLC behavior is incorrect, there is very little your GTN750 can do for you. Now, if you don't like the Garmin G1000 itself and you feel more comfortable using the GTN750 in any bird you fly, this is another story and you are obviously entitled to do so. I use it myself a lot in GA aircraft and I see no reason why others should not use wherever they want.

I hope I made myself clear. Hugs.