Sign in to follow this  
Mike777

Scenery Configuration Editor problem w/ FSX:SE & FSX:MS Dual Install

Hi everyone,

I believe I found a problem in Scenery Configuration Editor Version 1.1.2.  On a system with a dual installation of FSX:MS and FSX:SE, when it is set to point to the scenery.cfg file in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE ,

it generates error messages because it still looks for the scenery path in FSX:MS.  So if the same scenery with the same path is not installed in both versions of FSX, it generates a "Path does not exist" error.  It does this even though the path does exist and the scenery is installed in FSX:SE.

Please see my post, #9, in the following thread for more details:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/474293-fsx-scenery-config-editor/#entry3291626

I would guess that this problem does not exist if you only have FSX:SE installed, but I don't know for sure.

Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Check Edit -> Preferences.   

There is an option to set the location of the scenery.cfg file to user defined, rather than having SCE find it for you.  I would also suggest, broswing for the FSX: SE rather than letting SCE find the registry entry.

It's a bit of a hassle since you would have to reset your preferences if you want it to refer to FSX: MS, but it might make it usable until the authors add dual-FSX support.

• Upvote 1

Check Edit -> Preferences.

There is an option to set the location of the scenery.cfg file to user defined, rather than having SCE find it for you. I would also suggest, broswing for the FSX: SE rather than letting SCE find the registry entry.

It's a bit of a hassle since you would have to reset your preferences if you want it to refer to FSX: MS, but it might make it usable until the authors add dual-FSX support.

Thanks, Airernie,

I did have SCE pointing to the FSX:SE scenery.cfg file, but I didn't know SCE could be pointed manually to the correct FSX folder (i.e. to FSX:SE).  Now it is no longer producing false error messages (it did generate an error message that may be a real one).

Update:  The error message SCE is producing is false.  It has to do with having a scenery folder in the FSX:MS folder that is installed in FSX:SE, and another folder in the FSX:SE folder that is also installed in FSX:SE but has the same name as the folder in FSX:MS.  However the two folders with the same name actually have different scenery in them (looks like AFCAD-type files).

Mike

Posted (edited)

I apologize for dredging up a 2 year old topic, but I have a "procedural" question about using Scenery Configuration Editor.

I have both FS2004 and FSX (Boxed-Deluxe) installed.  FS2004 is in C:/Microsoft/FS9 (i.e., not the default location) and FSX is on a separate drive Z:/FSX.  I tend to use FSX the most so have SCE pointed to it (actually it found it automatically during setup).  I love the flexibility SCE gives me in manipulating my sceneries, but I am unsure how to make it "switch" between FSX and FS2004.

I assume I use the "File/Open Other" button, but perhaps the "Action/Generate from Directory" button.  I would like to be able to, at the click of a button switch between the FSX config and the FS2004 config.  The one time I tried to use "Open Other" I got a warning box that said "Are You Sure?" and since I wasn't, decided against proceeding further.

There really isn't a set of instructions that comes with the installer, just an .exe file and the short brief "Readme" that tells nothing of how to use SCE.  So, here I sit in the dark with SCE set up perfectly for FSX and manually manipulating FS2004.

Randy

Edit:  Disregard for the moment.  While looking around the file system I discovered when I updated to version 1.1.9 that it installed a .pdf manual in my FS9 location (but not FSX) yet when I open SCE it goes to the FSX scenery.cfg...???  I'll do some reading and get back.

Completely disregard my question.  After discovering the PDF file and reading through it I discovered you can seamlessly transition between FSX and FS2004 configs by using "Edit/Preferences".  Situation solved.

Edited by Ramjett
Situation Solved

Now look what you did.  You made me give airernie a reputation point for a 2015 post!  :biggrin: