Sign in to follow this  
skwaL

Which addon airport should I buy?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which airport to buy?

• FlightBeam KDEN Denver
    • FSDreamTeam KIAH Houston

So I have manged to get a hold of bunch of airports within North American continent:

On the east coast I got FlyTampa CYYZ, FSDreamTeam KJFK, FlyTampa KBOS, KMIA, FlightBeam's KIAD.
On the west coast I got FSDreamTeam KLAX & CYVR, FlightBeam's KSFOHD, Aerosoft Anchorage and T2G KSEA.

Here is my issue, I have essentially all of those airports for North America, and some of you might see a problem here, they are all either East Coast or West Coast, nothing in the middle. So I have decided that I will purchase an airport for continental US, somewhere in the central states. After all the research that I have done I have ran into another issue....I could not pick between the two airports which I was thinking of getting. FSDreamTeam KIAH Houston or FlightBeam's Denver. Both those airports have amazing reviews, both have similar price, both are extremely detailed and both are located almost right smack in the middle of the states.

Help me out here :smile:

FSDT KDFW. Right in the middle of the country and a huge hub for American airlines.

KIAH is nice as well, but I prefer DFW.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

First rule of government spending;  Why buy one when you can buy 2 at twice the price!?

I own KDFW, KIAD, KDEN, KMDW, KORD, KLIT and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

If it has to be just between those two, KDEN is a superior airport design.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Why not download them both,and take advantage of the trial?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Why not download them both,and take advantage of the trial?

I dont really feel like dishing out $100 right now. $50 I can live with :)

I voted for KIAH. I do own Denver but I prefer Phoenix from FlightBeam

I forgot to mention that I own KPHX as well :D but its essentially West Coast.

I dont really feel like dishing out $100 right now. $50 I can live with :)

I think he was suggesting you download them and try them both our using the free trial periods, then after you decide which one you like better, uninstall the one your not going to use.

I own both and prefer IAH myself, but not because one looks better than the other, just because I use IAH more and never really fly to DEN.

Like jimburke suggested KDFW is also nice. It's actually my favorite since I live in Dallas and use it more than any of my other airports. Someone mentioned that it's our of date. The only thing out of date about it is that there have been some real life changes to terminal A which are not too visible from the airside, but terminal B has changed a bit since FSDT made it, as has the satellite terminal by E. Pretty much everything else is the same as far as it goes though. I'm sure at some point in the future FSDT will bring KDFW up to current standards as far as the layout goes, but it's still very usable as it stands. You can download it as well and try it using trial periods.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes, that's what I meant alright, download them and test with the 5min trial period.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Speaking as a Brit who has both I would recommend KDEN simply because it's roughly half-way between KSFO and KORD. 1.5hr hops between each. :smile:

Both airports are visually excellent.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

So I have manged to get a hold of bunch of airports within North American continent:

On the east coast I got FlyTampa CYYZ, FSDreamTeam KJFK, FlyTampa KBOS, KMIA, FlightBeam's KIAD.

On the west coast I got FSDreamTeam KLAX & CYVR, FlightBeam's KSFOHD, Aerosoft Anchorage and T2G KSEA.

Here is my issue, I have essentially all of those airports for North America, and some of you might see a problem here, they are all either East Coast or West Coast, nothing in the middle. So I have decided that I will purchase an airport for continental US, somewhere in the central states. After all the research that I have done I have ran into another issue....I could not pick between the two airports which I was thinking of getting. FSDreamTeam KIAH Houston or FlightBeam's Denver. Both those airports have amazing reviews, both have similar price, both are extremely detailed and both are located almost right smack in the middle of the states.

Help me out here :smile:

Here's a good rule of thumb:  Determine what type of flights you like to engage in, whether it be short or long haul flights, then read up on the reviews from users (a wealth of knowledge), then look at cost.  At one point, i got on an ORBX frenzy and bought up a great deal of airports, because well, it was ORBX and I like to do a lot of short hops and take in the scenery.  As far as long haul flights, I get a little picky and that is due to personal budget.  There are a great deal of super detailed mega airports that exist, so with that said, try to gauge which ones will work best with your system.  Some big airports are really heavy on resources while others are a little lighter.  I understand that sometimes, these purchases can be a crapshoot, meaning that you are either going to push the purchase button or not, and if you do, you hope and pray you don't have any issues with performance.  I think we all have lived and learned, over the years, probably more learning than anything about what works and what doesn't.

Here lately, the creators are listening more and more to the consumers and are working hard to deliver good quality payware as well as coding them so they are more friendly to our systems.

Good luck!

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Both are good, but KDEN's performance is better. Actually it's amazingly good given how large and detailed it is.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU