Sign in to follow this  
PinkJackal

Windows 10 Pro and FSX smoothness

Hi guys! 

I've upgraded my OS to Win 10, I've done a clean install of both OS and FSX, and I have a bad stutter with fsx with default plane and default scenery, fps stays locked at 30.

Does any one has this problem, I have the latest nVidia driver installed.

My pc

I7-4790K - 4.6ghz

16Gb Ram 1866mhz

GTX760 4gb Evga

1080p monitor

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Hi Albert,

Jus too say your not alone! I cannot run FSX in DX9 anymore runs smooth locked at thirty then every 7to 10 seconds the scenery below judders stutters..also panning is impossible as is turning this is with the Trike at default settings.

I have tried everything even DX10 which actually runs better until you add say the AS AIrbus then it will s more of the same issue.

I have run the sims side the beginning and have never seen this and it seem to start with win 7 I cannot locate a bad part in the PC which does not mean it is not there..all is locked ar 30 fps but will not flow..this after fresh installs of everything.

I personally think Nvidia are messing about with the vsynch internal clock in there drivers...my system is good and has never not been able to run like this.

I have given up will see what P3D is like v3 and my switch or just stop alto get her as the enjoyment has gone...

Time will tell hope you get your sorted.

All the best

Mark

I have upgraded operating system to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1. After some tweaking I achieved somewhat smooth operation within FSX-SE. Add-ons that I'm running are ASN, PMDG 737, REX-texture direct and soft clouds. What I can tell is that recently I found out that playing around with internal weather option in FSX, particularly clout coverage density can have significant impact on the FPS. So lowering that option for me was the FPS holy grail. Besides that ASN can have significant impact on the FPS via its externally controlled weather options such as cloud coverage area. Also in my experience unleashing internal FPS limiter was a great in increasing the FPS.

For FSX in little tweaks lies a good chunk of FPS gains.

Hope this helps a little bit

Marko 

The fact is that I love win 10 so much, I don't want to switch back to win 7, everything is so smooth in win 10.

I have the usual tweaks in FSX.cfg, the same as I had in win7.

If I can't sort this out I will stay with x-plane as my main sim, but I will miss my PMDG 777.

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

I want to add my $1.80 to the mix...

I broke down and upgraded yesterday, mainly due to upgrading a laptop I will be selling soon and after test driving it, I thought I would take the plunge to my own rig.  I was already prepared for crashes galore, not to mention the re-install of my flight sim content, but found that the basic simple upgrade to Win10 Pro was pretty quick and painless (emphasizing painless).  I checked out the basics, all working fine.  Did my runthrough of all security settings, making sure a very limited amount of privacy leaked to MS and then it was off to my apps.

Long story short, everything worked just as it did before, no reinstalls required.  I fired up P3D this evening and it ran just fine, no crashes, errors or otherwise.  Ran it with ASN and ORBX scenery, and everything ran...ran better than before.  Since my frames are locked in at 30, I didn't see better frames but DID see a smoother sim.  So far, I have had zero issues, and I didn't have to do a clean install.  I don't expect any other issues as I have ran everything on my machine once and it works.  I'm not going to rave and applaud, but I have a smile on my face that all the warnings, issues or otherwise that a lot of other folks had with Win10 aren't happening to me.

-Jim

I must apologize.  I totally overlooked that this thread was for FSX.  As I do have that installed on my rig (FSX:SE), I may have to fire that up to see what happens.  I'll report any issues I have but they are a bit inconsequential since I don't really use FSX much anymore.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I have a brand new system with Win 10, Skylake 6700k (no overclock), GTX 970 card and a 1 TB SSD.  I run FSX under Vista SP2 compatibility mode with frames set as unlimited.  Maybe I'm just the lucky one, but I am having zero stutters with this setup.  The smoothness is much better than I anticipated, and I only added the highmemfix tweak along with 4096 textures.  No bufferpools, affinitymask or anything else was necessary.  I also set up my sliders exactly as Orbx recommends in their various product manuals.  My system is less powerful than overclocked pc's, but I think running in Vista mode with the large SSD is the key for me.     

I have a brand new system with Win 10, Skylake 6700k (no overclock), GTX 970 card and a 1 TB SSD.  I run FSX under Vista SP2 compatibility mode with frames set as unlimited.  Maybe I'm just the lucky one, but I am having zero stutters with this setup.  The smoothness is much better than I anticipated, and I only added the highmemfix tweak along with 4096 textures.  No bufferpools, affinitymask or anything else was necessary.  I also set up my sliders exactly as Orbx recommends in their various product manuals.  My system is less powerful than overclocked pc's, but I think running in Vista mode with the large SSD is the key for me.     

Are you sure that compatability mode for Vista SP2 is necessary? 

I too am running Windows 10 with Fsx (non Steam) and I don't have the stutters.

The sytem was set up from scratch rather than by upgrading.

FSX was installed on a separate partition away from the 'Program Files' folders. Tweaks to the FSX.cfg file were copied from the Win 7 install. The NVIDIA drivers are the latest and Inspector was used to tune Nvidia.

Some of the things I have done may be worth considering. ---

• Win 10 come with loads of bloatware. Do you really need a Camera app on a Desktop? I removed all unwanted apps. Check the internet for the powershell scripts which do this
  •  For wanted apps turn OFF the live tiles.
  • Run a virus scan on your FSX folder then turn off runtime scanning of that folder. You must rescan manually for each new addon or update.
  • Keep the FSX drive defragmented. If the drive is an SSD then this is not advised.

Regards

Trevor

I also installed Win 10 PRO from scratch and FSX the same way!!

I have an Samsung SSD Evo 250gb just for FSX

I've turned off every option and apps in settings for win 10 as I don't need them

I've excluded FSX folder from Win antivirus

I've run FSX.exe as admin

I've set up nVidia Inspector as I did for win7

The problem is that I can maintain 30FPS with no problem in FSX but when I'm turning or I see the airport, stutter occurs, and I'm talking about default airport as I have vanilla FSX!!!

I'm waiting to see what is happening with the new P3D v3, maybe I will buy the 60$ license!

If not, I have to wait for PMDG to bring the 777 for XPX

Regards, Albert Miu

The problem is that I can maintain 30FPS with no problem in FSX but when I'm turning or I see the airport, stutter occurs, and I'm talking about default airport as I have vanilla FSX!!!

If your default airport is one of the few "detailed" airports supplied, then quite often you will get stutters when they are in your view.   When you switch to a side view with a simple background, you will probably notice that your frames will rise to normal.   Only suggestion is to turn down your settings (vehicles, global texture resolution, scenery complexity, autogen).   You can experiment with each one to see which one or more are killing your frames.   When I'm at a detailed airport or one I feel is a bit more complex than others, then I just up my Fsx frame limiter to Unlimited:  this gives me another 5-8 fps thus helping to smooth things out somewhat.   Once in the air, I back it off to 30 fps.

Chris

Well in Win7 everything was fine, so I think that win10 is to blame here!

I was hoping I will embrace P3d, but then again I'm not prepar3d to spend another 500$ to buy PMDG,AES,Orbx,Aerosoft and other useful stuff just to get me started!

I'll wait and think what I can do, maybe I'll get back to win7 until win10 is more friendly with our sims, although I doubt it will ever be...

Regards, Albert Miu

Disable Windows Defender and install a 3rd party antivirus solution like Antivir (the free version will totally do). Defender is so slow in scanning files that FSX startup became unacceptably long and smoothness suffered.

No issues whatsoever running FSX on W10 with Antivir here. Performance is as good as it was on 7.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Disable Windows Defender

Well I have excluded D drive all together from Windows Defender scanning and fsx.exe also.

Regards, Albert Miu

Are you sure that compatability mode for Vista SP2 is necessary? 

When I installed FSX on Win 10, I had an issue with no airplane showing in the free flight screen.  When I shut FSX down, Win 10 prompted me to allow the "compatibility troubleshooter".  I gave it permission to do so, and it settled on Vista SP2.  In summary,  I didn't select this mode, but Win 10 through the troubleshooter did it all on it's own.  It may not work for everyone, but it was pure gold for my system.  

EDIT:  I just double checked my FSX.exe, and it's actually set for Vista, not Vista SP2.